FIC: Reunion, part 16/?
- Chapter 16
When Logan woke up it was morning. The dim light coming from outside,
through the small window, stung his eyes even though it was poor.
Before he opened his eyes, he could see a network of tiny blood
vessels on the inside of his eyelids.
Logan opened his eyes. It didn't take him long to realize where he
was. He was inside Rogue's hospital cell, where Jean had taken him
last night after he returned to the institute, afraid of going
anywhere else, and afraid of the reception he would get after what he
did, in rage.
He noticed he had fallen asleep with his head on Rogue's stomach,
and he had slept like that, throughout the remaining night. Her body
felt warm against his cheek, although there were two layers of fabric
Logan didn't lift his head despite he had woken up, but all he
wanted was to fall asleep again and not have to face the coming day.
- Logan? said suddenly Rogue's faint and uncertain voice, and Logan
could feel she put her hand on his head and started stroking his hair.
Immediately all Logan's senses were on full stretch, and for a
while he wondered if he was still dreaming. But he was not. Rogue was
awake, and when he finally lifted his head, he was looking into her
Her eyes were open now, and she was looking at him, though she was
very pale and looked tired.
- Logan...honey, what are you doing here? she asked, and moved her
hand to his cheek.
- Marie... Logan whispered, still completely charmed. Oh, thank
God... How are you? How are you feeling?
He took her hand in his and almost felt like crying again, but with
relief this time.
Rogue gave a sound that probably represented laughter.
- Well... she said slowly. I've been better... What really
happened? I...I don't remember much...
- You... I don't know either, you just collapsed, and Jean said
He interrupted himself.
- You want me to get Jean, by the way? Would you like that?
- No, you don't have to, Rogue replied. I'd rather have you stay
here with me.
- Of course, Logan said and sat up on the edge of her bed. I'll
stay as long as you want, dear. Just tell me if you want anything.
Rogue bit her lower lip anxiously and the look in her eyes became
unsteady. She suddenly looked very scared. - What is wrong with me?
she asked carefully. It's something serious, isn't it? Logan, please,
if you know, then I want you to tell me.
Logan hesitated, since he wasn't sure what he'd say. Of course
Rogue deserved to know the truth, but was this the right time to tell
- Marie, he said gently, according to Jean, it was an allergic
Rogue frowned and looked instantly confused.
- But I'm not allergic to anything, she said.
- Jean says you are.
- To what?
- Marie, I don't think this is the time to discuss it. You should
maybe rest, and...-
- But I wanna know! Rogue called and her hand grabbed Logan's
forearm. I wanna know, so tell me, Logan! What's wrong with me?
Her voice sure was faint, but her attitude didn't tolerate
defiance. Rogue wanted to know what had caused her collapse, and she
demanded Logan to tell her.
- Shall I get Jean? Logan asked gravely. She can explain this
better than I can.
- It's something bad, isn't it? Rogue asked, her voice trembling. I
can see it is.
- No, you'll be alright, sweetie. Don't worry.
- But why won't you tell me?
- Marie... Logan began and wasn't sure how to proceed. It's just
that... I did a very bad thing last night, after you...
- A bad thing? Rogue asked in surprise. What did you do, Logan?
- Something very serious. I thought I have to tell you by myself
before you hear it from someone else.
- But Logan...? What could possibly be so bad? Rogue asked, and
became worried when she noticed the expression on his face.
Logan sighed deeply before he continued. I have to tell her, he
thought. I must. It'll be worse if she hears it from someone else,
and it's certain that she will.
So he inhaled deeply and said,
- Well, yesterday, after you collapsed, I freaked out, literally.
Magneto came to me and said something, and then I totally lost it. It
made me... Marie, I beat him.
- You...beat him? Rogue asked and knitted her forehead.
- Yes, I bead him *badly*. Very badly. Right now he's here too,
after Jean has operated his face. She says... it's uncertain if he'll
make it. I surely would have killed him there and then if not Scott
and Storm had pulled me away. That's it.
Some time after he finished the sentence Rogue just stared at him,
blankly, as if she had not realized the meaning of what he had told
- Logan...she then said, shaking her head. You...why did you do
- There's no excuse... Logan mumbled in reply. I freaked out, it's
just as simple. I terribly regret what I did, believe me.
- Was it because of me? Rogue asked.
- What? No, I...-
- It wasn't his fault. What happened to me. He didn't do anything
- No, I know.
- Logan, I can't believe you did such a thing. What if he dies?
- I know. I know, and I am awfully sorry, Logan said, and he really
was. And Rogue's face that expressed surprise, terror and disbelief,
made him regret it even more. She had never looked at him like that
It was very obvious that she didn't believe he was capable of
something like that.
- Have you checked on him? she then asked.
Logan shook his head.
- I think you should, Rogue said resolutely. That's the least you
- I don't know if I dare, Logan said truthfully.
- Have you thought about what happens to you if he dies? Logan,
it's homicide! Logan, God! What were you thinking? she exclaimed.
- I told you, I wasn't thinking! Logan called back. I just felt I
wanted to kill him! That was all I could think about! To kill him...
Suddenly someone opened the door to the room and they saw Jean
stand in the doorway. Her eyes widened when she saw Rogue was awake.
- Oops, she said. So you are awake, Marie? How are you feeling?
- Good, according to the circumstances, Rogue replied, but she
sounded very tired. Jean entered the room and closed the door. She
was wearing a white lab coat, a blue blouse and a beige knee-length
She had dressed since yesterday, but her hair was uncombed and
muddled, and she wore no make-up. There were dark rings of weariness
around her eyes. Jean could not have gotten a wink of sleep last
Logan wondered if Jean had stayed up all night. Probably. What else
had she done?
Jean came and sat by Rogue's other bedside. She looked down at the
young woman and managed to give her a weary smile. She didn't get any
smile back from Rogue.
- How are you? Jean asked again. Are you feeling better now?
- How is Magneto? Rogue asked instead.
Jean exchanged looks with Logan. Logan could see what Jean's look
told. "So you've told her?" He nodded mutely. Jean turned to Rogue
- His vital signs are stabile, she said, but he is still
unconscious. I don't know much more. I was going to X-ray him today,
to see if he has sustained any brain damage. The following days will
- I hope he makes it, Rogue whispered.
- I hope so too, dear, Jean replied seriously.
- Yes, Marie?
- What's wrong with me? Can you tell me? Logan knows, but he won't
tell. Now I'm asking you.
Jean placed a cool hand on Rogue's forehead. The young woman looked
up at her with a resolution that she hadn't seen in many people.
Rogue demanded an explanation, and she deserved one.
- Okay, sweetheart. I will tell you, she said quietly. But it may
take some time, and you may become upset, but it's really nothing to
be worried about.
- Just tell me, Jean. I think I'm woman enough to handle it.
- Logan? Jean said and looked at him. Do you know what I think you
should do? Go and talk to Charles now. I think he has calmed down by
now. I believe he wants to see you.
Logan grimaced at the thought. To look into Charles' eyes after
what he'd done to his beloved Magneto, would not be easy. If not
- I don't know... he murmured with his head bent down.
- Don't be a coward, Logan, Jean said. You have to talk to him, and
I think you should do it now. The professor is very understanding. He
won't fly at you in spite of what you did.
- Okay, Logan sighed. I guess I will then. Will you be alright,
- Of course I will, Rogue said and even managed a faint smile. I'm
glad you take responsibility for what you've done.
- I actually left last night, Logan confessed. But something made
me stop and I came back.
- I'm glad you did, Logan, said Jean. But now go. I will let
Charles know that you're coming.
- I'm a telepath.
- Okay. See you later, sweetheart, Logan said and kissed Rogue's
forehead. If there's anything left of me then, he added, mostly in
Logan left, and Jean was left alone with Rogue. When she had heard
Logan's steps withdraw, she prepared to tell Rogue what had happened
to her, and what had caused her collapse.
Maybe it would be necessary to take out the gloves again. At least
for some time ahead.