FIC: Reunion, part 11/?
- Chapter 11
Scott woke up when he heard knockings on the door. The sound slowly
trickled into his still dim mind and it took him some time to realize
someone was in fact behind the door.
Instinctively he felt if he had his glasses on (it had been a
habit, when you during almost your whole life had feared lethal
eyebeams flying out of your eyes if you open them without having your
glasses on.) He wasn't wearing them. Typical.
Scott sighed and groped for them on the bedside table, so he could
open his eyes and then open the door.
But the person who was outside didn't care to wait for that.
heard the sound of the door being opened and the person in question
entered the room. It was not Jean or Storm, he could tell that by the
steps. Nor was it the professor, since he couldn't hear any
wheelchair, and none of the students would have the audacity to enter
his room just like that.
That left only one person. None other than Logan.
It was Logan. He came and sat on a chair next to Jean and
bed, and said,
- Hi, One-Eye. Then how are you feelin'?
- Like hell, and you know that, Scott muttered. He wasn't
thrilled to have Logan there. What do you want, Logan? I was asleep,
- Yeah, I'm sure you were. Like you were partying last night.
- How I "party" is none of your business! Cyclops snapped
Give me my glasses so that I can at least see you!
He reached out a waiting hand, and unlike he believed, Logan
actually handed him the glasses. He put them on and opened his eyes.
Logan was very much there, looking at him.
- Okay, Logan, Scott sighed. What did you want?
- I just wanted to see how you feel, Logan replied with a shrug.
- Since when do you care how I feel?
- You're my team-mate. Of course I care.
- Alright. Now you've seen it. Did you want anything else? If
did, then please say it, since I would really, really like to go back
to sleep. My head still hurts.
Logan sighed and lowered his eyes. - Honestly, Scott, I didn't
here to make fun of you. Really. I came here to ask you for advice.
Scott's chin almost dropped to the floor. - Ask me for advice?
exclaimed. Logan, if it wasn't for your healing factor, I would
believe you were sick!
- Okay, screw it then, Logan muttered. You don't have to take
- Do you mean there actually *is* something?
- Yeah, I do. I want to hear another man's opinion about this.
- About what? Scott asked.
- It's... Do you know Magneto has come here, by the way?
- Eh, no, but now I remember Charles said he would. So he is here
now? Have you seen him?
- When did he come?
- Yesterday evening. But that was not what I wanted to ask you
about. It is... shit, I saw something I shouldn't have seen this
- What did you see? Scott wondered.
- The professor and Magneto, having sex, said Logan.
- Oh, shit... Scott moaned and leaned his forehead against the
pillows. No... Is it true? Were they doing that?
- Do you call me a liar?
- No, of course not. But that was not something I wanted to hear.
God! I really believed their "thing" was over, but I guess it
- You *knew*? Logan exclaimed. Did you know they...? Fuck, Scott!
How long have they been doing that?
Scott sighed again. - Logan, he said slowly. Hasn't Charles
you? They were a couple for 25 years before they broke up, about 20
- Oh, shit...!
- When did you see them? This morning?
- Yes, I told you. Do you mean they have...for 25 years...?!
- Yes. He has told us, but not the younger students, and I believe
he wants to do it by himself if he does it at all. To whom except me
have you told this?
- Just Rogue... Logan muttered.
- And don't tell anyone else, Scott warned. It is bad enough as
is. I don't think Charles wants the whole school to...-
- He is fucking our worst enemy! Logan called. Are you saying
that's nothing to discuss?! He fucks Magneto! Shit, Scott, do you
mean that's nothing that shocks you?
- I'm not happy to hear it, Scott agreed, and I definitely
like having Magneto in the house. But I do respect Charles, and I
respect his personal life. If he wants Magneto in his bed, then there
is nothing that I, or anyone, can do about it. It is his house and
whom he sleeps with is not any of our business. Although I don't
- Do you mean we just have to accept it? Logan snorted.
- I can understand your feelings, but you can hardly forbid him...
Maybe if Charles had told you about him and Magneto...
- Shit, One-Eye, you're hopeless too! Logan snapped angrily.
failed us, betrayed our trust! Have you nothing to say about that?
Scott sighed deeply and rubbed the bridge of his nose with his
thumb and index finger.
- Logan, could you please not shout... I have still an awful
headache... Can we continue this discussion when I'm feeling
I can't do this right now.
- What discussion? You weren't much help.
- Please, Logan. Leave. You'll have to take that with Charles,
he can answer your questions. Now I wanna sleep. Go.
Logan snorted again and got up and left the room as quickly as he
had come. He was angry and disappointed, mostly in Charles, but also
in the others, who didn't seem to understand.
Scott, on the other hand, was too tired to even think of what Logan
had said, but curled back into his pillows and went back to sleep.
- Erik, Charles said gently and stroked his friend's forehead and
soft, silver-grey hair, while Erik rested his head on his lap on the
- I really am sorry, Erik. Believe me, I am. But I am also truly
surprised. Bobby Drake has so far been a very proper young man. I
don't understand what made him act like that.
- But I do, Magneto said in a subdued voice. They hate me. That is
the only explanation. Everyone in this mansion hates me. Everyone but
you. Maybe it would be best if I left again...
- No, Erik! Charles interrupted. I don't want to hear about
again. You are staying here, for as long as you want, since you are
my guest. You mustn't let that incident frighten you off.
- It was so awful, Erik said quietly. First that boy Drake stuck
out his foot and tripped me up, and when I fell, everyone started to
laugh, every last one, and someone even threw things at me. And they
wouldn't stop... God, Charles. They made me feel exactly
- Who is Carrie? Charles asked questioningly.
- It doesn't matter. The thing is that it was awful. I can
hear their laughter in my head...
- What did you do about Bobby Drake? Charles asked carefully.
- I asked him to stay after I let the others go. I thought that was
the least I could do. I asked him straight out why he did what he
did, but he didn't give me any answer. Finally I let him go. I
not hurt him, Charles, if you are worrying about that.
- No, of course not, Erik. I never believed that, Xavier said. I
will talk with him myself.
- You don't have to, Erik said faintly. Not for me. I just want
forget the whole thing myself.
- But I want to, said Charles. I believe Bobby trusts me more and
talks to me more easily than to you, and I really want to know why he
behaved like that.
- Yes, do what you want, Magneto sighed. He sat up, so he
resting his head in Charles' lap anymore. He leaned back against
sofa instead, so he and Xavier were sitting next to each other, with
their arms and thighs brushing.
- How about our agreement? Erik asked after some time. Charles, you
promised you would go public with our relationship if I...had a shot
with your students.
- I know, Erik, Charles said seriously. Of course I will keep my
promise, he continued. They will know about us. Tomorrow morning I
will summon a meeting in the lecture hall, and tell them all how it
He spoke with his head bent down, looking at his hands. Erik could
not avoid hearing how sad his friend and lover sounded. He softened.
- You don't have to, Charles, he said kindly and put his arm
Xavier's shoulder and leaned his forehead against his bald
have been proven that your students haven't accepted me. You are
right; maybe you would lose their trust if you went public with our
love. I don't want that to happen to you, Charles. We can wait.
But Charles shook his head. He was going to go through with this.
- It is acceptance that we teach here at the Xavier-institute, he
said. The students here are here just because they have not been
accepted by the society, and they of all people should know what it
is like to be different. They will accept you, Erik. I will make sure
- You don't have to do it for me, Charles, Erik said gently. I
it. You really don't have to. I don't ask that of you.
- I am not doing it for you, I am doing it for *us*, replied
Charles with emphasis. I have merely been the principal of the Xavier-
institute and the mentor and father figure of my students for so many
years now. Of course I will continue being that, but I want my own
life too. With you, Erik. Tomorrow, eleven o'clock in the
Erik embraced his lover and let him know that he loved him.
A/N: "Carrie" is Carrie White from Stephen King's book