Fic: "Diamonds And Pearls" PG-13 (1/1) [Remy/Jubilee]

  • Nadja Lee
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 18, 2002
      Diamonds And Pearls
      By Nadja Lee 03/09/02

      Timeline: Set in the movie universe. After movie

      Universe: Set in the movie universe; NOT the book which goes with it.

      Romance: Remy/Jubilee

      Archiving: Want, ASK, take, have.

      Rating: PG-13

      Warning: May contain some mildly disturbing subjects.

      Sequel/series: 3rd in the Remy/Jubilee series. Sequel to “Wine And Kisses”. Earlier parts can be found here: http://www.dreamwater.org/scottsummers/fanfiction/RemyJubilee.html

      Author’s notes: Is sappy romance reason for a warning? *LOL*

      For Nadine with love and thanks for giving me more than I can ever repay.

      Thanks so much to Estelle for beta and her wonderful friendship; both priceless *smiles*

      * * *

      “Oh, isn’t this nice, Remy?” Jubilee asked as she drew him to a stop beside her in front of a jeweller. Remy leaned close to her and looked in on the expensive jewellery.

      “Which one do you like, mon amour?” he asked in her ear and she turned around and put her arms around him, meeting his lips before she turned to the shop window again.

      “That one,” she pointed to a simple gold necklace with a single pearl hanging in it, like a teardrop.

      “Yes, it is beautiful,” Remy remarked as he looked both ways on the street; it seemed quiet, everyone minding their own business. On this warm and mild summer day the warmth of the weather seemed to have infected people as well. A kind of laziness and contentment had settled over everyone and it suited Remy just fine. He turned back to Jubilee and smiled.

      “Beautiful, just like you,” he said and she smiled at him. She was to comment when he escaped her embrace. She looked questioningly at him. “Wait here,” he asked and went into the jeweller’s store. Puzzled she did as bid, having a grim suspicion as to what he was up to. Minutes ticked away and she fought with herself if she should stay or not; she wanted to go find him and drag him somewhere safe. She began to get very nervous and looked down the street, imagining a police car coming any time soon. Finally Remy reappeared and hugged her from behind, nearly giving her a heart attack.

      “Remy! Don’t do that again,” she turned around and embraced him while quickly looking over her shoulder and trying to drag him with her.

      “No, chérie. Nice and easy,” Remy insisted and caught her hand so they walked slowly down the street. Jubilee’s heart was in her throat until they turned a corner and was a good way away from the store.

      “Now, that was fun,” Remy grinned and bent down and kissed her.

      “Fun?!” Jubilee stared disbelieving at him, but he just smiled widely at her. “I was worried out of my mind.”

      “Don’t be. Remy knows what he’s doing,” Remy calmed her and put a finger against her lips, preventing more words. “Here, this is for you,” he withdrew the necklace she had admired from his pocket and locked it around her neck. He took off his ever present sunglasses and smiled. “Beautiful. A work of art,” he said warmly and she felt her anger melt away from the warmth and love in his voice and eyes. She put her arms around him and kissed him. When they drew apart she noticed the hint of fear in his eyes.

      “It’s okay. I’m not mad at you. I was just worried,” she assured him and held his right hand while he put his sunglasses back on.

      “You don’t mind….” He made a gesture with his hand towards the necklace.

      “Remy, I knew from the moment I met you that you were a thief. It’s a part of who you are and it’s neither my place nor my right to try and change that. However don’t tell me not to worry for you when you do it because I can’t do that,” she explained. He caught her left hand and pressed it against his cheek.

      “And it’s not my place…nor right to ask you not to worry,” he said softly.

      “Yeah,” she mumbled and kissed him before they began walking further down the street.

      “I love the gift, you know that,” Jubilee began. “But you don’t have to give me everything I like. Sometimes it’s nice to wait.”

      “I know,” he insisted but his face and voice told her he didn’t.

      “I’m not with you because you can give me things,” she explained, thinking she had found the reason for his behaviour. Suddenly she remembered something he had said when they had talked in the kitchen that first time they had come together. “Nor because you’re handsome which you are but what I love about you is within,” he drew to a stop as she finished. He smiled warmly and lovingly down to her.

      “I just want to make you happy. To try and show you how much you mean to me. That…I love you and always will,” his tone was soft and sincere.

      “You already do. Just by being here, by staying…you’ve made me more happy than I could ever imagine I could be,” she smiled and they kissed. Feeling content and very happy they continued down the street until Jubilee saw a CD store she wanted to look in. Remy spotted a café just outside the store and said he would be waiting for her there. He ordered a drink and looked at the passing traffic, enjoying the sun and the view over the quiet town.

      Jubilee came out of the CD store with a package in her hands. She had found a French singer Remy liked and had bought him a CD. She couldn’t wait to see his face when he unwrapped it. Smiling she walked towards him when she saw an open sports car draw to a halt next to him. A woman at about forty, dressed in fancy clothes looked over at him and took off her sunglasses. She dressed and walked as a woman used to get what she wanted…and used to everything and everyone being for sale to a price she could always afford. Jubilee didn’t like the look she cast Remy and hurried over to him. She had almost reached Remy as she heard the woman speak;

      “You’re very beautiful. How much for a night?” she asked, aching her brows at him and smiling. Remy’s cheeks flamed hot and for a moment he seemed as if frozen in time. Jubilee reached them and stood between Remy and the woman in the car.

      “He’s my boyfriend and not for sale. Now, get lost you pervert before I call the cops!” Jubilee threatened hatefully, fighting to keep from using her powers on the woman but there were too many witnesses who could see it though they couldn’t hear their conversation.

      “My mistake then,” the woman said and speeded away. Breathing hard Jubilee turned to Remy. She noticed the entire café was staring at them. They must have entered a more…doubtful neighbourhood but it was hard to tell; everything here looked the same. They had never been in this town before, they had just wanted to spend a few hours here as a get away weekend. She knew the embarrassment she was feeling wasn’t her own but Remy’s. She turned to him and saw he was avoiding her eyes.

      “Come, let’s go,” she reached for his hand but he stood up and shook her off.

      “Don’t touch me!” he bit her off and stormed past her and down the street. Feeling hurt she quickly followed.

      “I’m sorry,” she managed to get alongside of him but he kept walking, looking straight ahead.

      “Will you stop and look at me?!” she all but yelled as they had walked in silence for some minutes. He stopped and slowly turned to face her.

      “What is it?” He snapped and she couldn’t tell because of his glasses where he was looking but somehow she was sure it wasn’t at her.

      “Remy, please. Don’t do this,” she reached for him again but he drew back.

      “Don’t do what?”

      She bit back her angry reply. This wasn’t the time or place. He needed her now and she intended to be there for him. No matter what.

      “Don’t shut me out. I love you, I always will. Don’t let her get to you. Yes, you are beautiful and of course I can’t keep but notice that and love that but it is not why I’m with you. There’s a lot of handsome guys at school and they’ll not have half the traumas you have,” he gave her a hard look that she ignored. “I love you for being you. I love you, Remy. Please…don’t give up on us,” she asked and reached for him again.

      “Oh, Jubii,” he mumbled and drew her into his embrace and kissed the top of her head. “I’m so sorry. Can you ever forgive me? I know you fear people leaving you like your parents did. I haven’t been paying enough attention to your needs. I’m sorry,” he mumbled. She drew back and looked up at him, wiping away her own tears before she lifted a hand to wipe his away.

      “There’s nothing to forgive. I have trouble understanding how you can...well, I’ve trouble understanding how you can love me and find me beautiful,” she looked down as she said it.

      “But you are beautiful. The most beautiful girl in the world,” he took her under the chin and lifted her face up to meet his eyes. She smiled up at him.

      “The insecurities we carry with us from childhood don’t disappear over night but if we work on it…together?” she smiled hopefully.

      “Together…then we’ll get there,” he promised. She smiled and softly caressed his cheek.

      “You’re a diamond in the rough and I’m very lucky to have found you,” she whispered warmly. He touched the single pearl hanging around her neck.

      “You’re that one true pearl among all the oysters,” she laughed at this but the love in his voice was clear. “And I’m lucky to have found you.”
      ”Then I guess we’re both lucky;” she mumbled as he leaned down for a kiss and she threw her arms around him.

      “I guess we are,” he smiled as their lips met and the kiss deepened. They both knew there would be bumps in the road ahead but they also knew that together…they could survive anything.

      Besides…diamonds and pearls always did fit perfectly together…. Like the lily and the rose they should stay together and never be apart. Diamonds and pearls…symbols of love and eternity…and they intended to live up to that.

      The End