Fic: "Darker Destiny: Never Got A Chance" R (1/1)

  • Nadja Lee
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 25, 2002
      Darker Destiny: Never Got A Chance
      By Nadja Lee 14/05/02

      Timeline: Set in the movie universe/an AU. Before the movie

      Universe: Set in the movie universe; NOT the book which goes with it.

      Romance: None

      Archiving: Want, ASK, take, have.

      Rating: R

      Warning: May contain disturbing elements. This is a VERY dark tale! You have been warned.

      Sequel/series: Part of the “Darker Destiny” series.

      Author’s Notes: This takes place in this character’s teens so not all his mutant powers have kicked in yet.

      Thanks to Estelle for the Beta

      Have you ever wondered what it is like to never have gotten a break or a chance?

      They don’t understand me. No one does. No, that’s not true. My mates…….they’re with me. They will never understand me but they’re there for me as I am for them. We stick together because all we ever had was each other.

      People talk of the innocence of a child……..I have never been innocent. I grew up to poverty and violence. I saw my dad smack my mom around and I would run and hide, hoping he wouldn’t find me. As a kid I would be scared of every little noise and flinch away from every touch. Then I grew older and the darkness toughened me. Compassion and feelings were for the weak and here you are either the strongest or you’re dead.

      My mates and me hang out, smoke, do some graffiti…nothing major. It’s the feeling of belonging, of sticking together; in those few hours we have a common enemy; the rich living on the other side of the road…. that’s what keeps us together. That and our more or less common background.

      Here you often wish you were an orphan should you be stuck with parents. Normally our moms are alright but too messed up one way or another to be of any use and our dads……they yell at you, get drunk and hit you……..everyone would be better off without them.

      I had a girl once. She was from the other side. It didn’t last long. She wanted a taste of the wild side and found it in me. But she was so afraid of what others might think that she refused to even acknowledge I existed to her friends. At school she would totally ignore me. Whatever…….I don’t care.

      No, that’s not true. I do care and that’s what’s so damn frustrating.

      All I clinged to, my lifeline and my sanity were my mates, especially Billy. He was sweet somehow, unspoiled in a way. He was so young…….and he died. He got killed in a drive by shooting. And the police….ha, like they care what happens down here. As long as it’s not up in their fine, respected neighbourhood they don’t give a shit.

      They always judge you for everything but who you really are. People judge me because of my clothes or where I come from……not the real me. No one ever wants to see the truth.

      It’s so much easier to make stereotypes…….I look bad, I must be bad. All this money to fine schools and that’s all they know?! Someone should demand their money back.

      Prejudice like that was what happened. A store got knocked over, I was nearby and suddenly I’ve got the cops on my tail. I should have stopped but I panicked. They caught up with me and I had my hands up, I had no weapon. It was dark, it rained. I remember the rain. It always rained.

      All of them had their weapons pointed at me……..one of them fired. I remember the stabbing pain, agony beyond belief. I felt as the bullet entered my chest, I felt it shatter bones and tissue.

      I felt it as it pierced my heart. I felt the warm blood on my body and in my mouth. I couldn’t breathe. It hurt so terribly, worse than any pain I’ve ever felt before and believe me; I’ve felt a lot.

      I gasped for breath, I tried to crawl to reach something, to go anywhere…….as always I never reached it.

      I fell down, I fought for a few useless seconds and so many thoughts and memories went through my mind. I realised that save a precious few moments with my mom and my mates I didn’t have any memories worth keeping. My thoughts wandered and suddenly everything felt so…..meaningless. Life had always seemed hopeless but now I saw that I was nothing, got nothing and now I would become nothing.

      Tears went down my face as agony as red hot flames licked over my body and made any more thoughts impossible. Then everything was suddenly quiet……….so still………alone……so cold…..everything went black.

      And it rained.

      ~Victor [Sabretooth]