Fic: "Sunshine And Beauty" (1/1) PG [Remy/Jubilee]

  • Nadja Lee
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 5, 2002
      Sunshine And Beauty

      By Nadja Lee 04-08-2002

      Timeline: Set in the movie universe. After the movie.

      Universe: Set in the movie universe.

      Romance: Remy/Jubilee

      Archiving: Want, ASK, take, have.

      Rating: PG

      Sequel/series: Maybe a series alá ”Forbidden Love”…..if someone wants it and plot bunnies are around *LOL*

      Author’s notes: Inspired by Nadine’s wonderful image “Remy and Jubes”. Hope this can live up to the high standards of your artwork. The peanut butter mention is in honor of Bani. Never forgotten, lov.

      Dedicated to Nadine with love and thanks.

      Thanks so much to Karen for the quick Beta.

      Warnings: Is sappy romance cause for a warning? *LOL*

      * * *

      The hall was dark and everyone was asleep when Jubilee tiptoed down the hallway in her big yellow nightshirt. Damn that diet anyway…she was hungry and really needed something…anything. She could always work it off tomorrow. Besides she hadn’t eaten anything except for an apple in the morning. This starving-to-get-thin thing wasn’t working. She needed another plan.

      She reached the kitchen and turned the lights on before she went to the door to look both ways down the hallway; still empty and dark. Satisfied, she stuck her head into the refrigerator and began searching for something interesting. Tons of salad Ororo had bought…rabbit food. She searched on….beer for Logan…not likely. Tuna and other fish…Dr. Grey said it was healthy and was very into that sort of stuff…no way. Oh, here was something…..Scott’s secret addiction…peanut butter. Smiling she put the jar on the big round table which stood in the middle of the kitchen and began searching the cupboards for bread. A part of her felt a little guilty as peanut butter wasn’t exactly on her diet plan, but right now she didn’t care.

      “Finding something interesting, mon cheré?” a soft, close and teasing voice asked and startled her so much that she knocked her head into the top of the cupboard.

      “Damn it, Cajun! Can’t you make a noise when you move or something?” she asked irritated as she turned to face him, rubbing the top of her head with her left hand, in her right was the bread which she put on the table next to the peanut butter.

      “I’m a thief, cheré. I’m not supposed to be heard,” his tone was still light as he jumped to sit on the table next to her snack, almost sitting on it. He wore long blue cowboy pants, a tight fitting black shirt, a long black coat and dark sunglasses. He looked...beautiful, mysterious and dangerous and his very presence made her heart beat faster. She became painfully aware of how stupid she had to look in her long nightshirt and blushed in embarrassment. Annoyed over her own body’s reaction to him she chose to stare at him with an irritated expression.

      “Do you mind?” she asked and moved her food a little away from him.

      “Not at all,” he drawled and smiled at her as if he knew the effect he had on her; but he couldn’t know…could he?
      “You’re impossible,” she sighed and turned away from him to pick up a knife before she began to put peanut butter on a piece of bread. Remy watched her moves as he took of his glasses so she could see his red on black eyes. For a while neither one of them said anything until the stillness was suffocating Jubilee.

      “So…where were you?” she asked and indicated his clothes.

      “Who said I was anywhere?” his voice was suddenly guarded.

      “It’s 3 in the morning,” she pointed out, as if explaining the simplest thing to a child. He turned and found the clock on the wall above the door to the hallway.

      “Oh, yeah,” he mumbled.

      “So?” she pressed as he didn’t seem eager to elaborate. Remy had arrived at the school eight months ago and unlike many of the other kids he had shown up on his own accord and therefore also thought it was within his rights to come and go as he pleased, despite Scott’s best efforts to make him see that it was unsafe for him to walk around on his own after midnight.

      He attended most of the same classes as she did, but despite his love for playing cards (and obvious talent for it as he won every game) and his love for his motorcycle, she found she knew nothing about him. He was one of the most handsome men in school and had an air of danger and mystery about him and she admitted that was what had made her interested to begin with, but like half the school he had never let her near him. Sure, he flirted with her but he flirted with everyone, including Dr. Grey who she had a feeling he didn’t like much unlike Ororo who he had made an instant connection with.

      “So I went to town,” Remy finally said and she noticed he had tensed, all his muscles were tight and she suddenly realized that he looked ready to bolt anytime.

      “Hey, just making conversation,” she defended herself, throwing her arms up in the air in a surrendering gesture. He laughed; it was a rich and beautiful sound that made her smile and wish she could make him laugh forever. He had such pretty dimples; it looked as if his entire face lit up.

      “I thought you were on a diet,” he remarked when she took another bite of her sandwich. She froze and almost felt like crying. As a child she had been overweight and she knew she had to watch her figure. Her weight had always been a sore plot with her but she wouldn’t let him see that.
      “Drop dead, Remy,” she hissed and swallowed the piece she had in her mouth, but suddenly the food had lost its appeal and she put the sandwich down.

      “Hey, mon cheré….,” he said softly and took her under the chin, bringing her head around to face him. “I didn’t mean it like that. You’re beautiful just like you are. I never understood why you try to starve yourself every other second.”

      She blushed and turned away from him.

      “You’re just saying that,” she mumbled. Oh, please…let him mean it, a small voice inside her wished but she knew he couldn’t mean it. He was so handsome, so perfect…what would he want with someone like her?

      “I may be many things but I’m no liar. I do think you’re beautiful,” he said softly and jumped off the table before he placed both hands on each of her shoulders, turned her around to face him. There was something in his eyes she couldn’t identify.

      “You tell every woman she’s beautiful…” she said lowly, afraid to break the moment but having to say it.

      “I’ve not said it to you before now and that’s because I wanted it to mean something. What I tell them is just words…it’s just the way I am,” he shrugged, unable to explain what he meant, but hoping she understood.

      “You…really think I’m beautiful?” she asked hopefully. Please, don’t be playing with my heart, she prayed silently. She had fallen in love with him almost from the start, but a man like him was forever out of her reach…or so she had thought.

      “Yes, I really do.” There was such warmth and depth in his words and voice that she had to look down and the moment was broken. He drew back from her and put his hands in his pockets, searching for his cigarettes. He found them and lit one. “And I really do love this color on you, but why always yellow?” he asked and though the teasing edge was back in his voice the warmth stayed in it.

      She considered lying to him or not telling the whole truth but somehow standing here and feeling like they were totally alone and there was no tomorrow she forgot the need for barriers and ignored the inner voice of self protection.

      “When I’m…depressed I want something to make me smile again and…well, sunshine and summer time is happy,” she explained and suddenly felt how lame it sounded saying it out loud.

      “The sun is yellow…summer is yellow…and so is happiness. I understand,” he nodded and she searched his face to see if he was teasing her, but his face and words were sincere.

      “I’ve…never told anyone that before. I didn’t think they’d understand,” she admitted.
      “We do a lot of things we’re not even sure we understand ourselves,” he said softly, a far away look in his eyes.

      “Like you stealing?” she guessed, praying she hadn’t gone too far. She saw and felt him tense before he forced himself to relax.

      “Yeah…and like you do with all your mall and shopping trips.”

      She looked sharply at him. He put out his cigarette while shaking his head at her. “No one loves a mall that much…not even a woman and I do know what I’m talking about.”

      She looked him up and down, saw how his clothes always matched, how it always showed off enough to make every woman turn to look at him but hid enough to make her fantasize for hours on end.

      “Yeah…I guess you do.” She turned away from him and found a coke in the cupboard. “Want one?”

      “Sure,” he replied and easily caught the coke she threw him. She turned back towards him and smiled as she saw him playing with the coke, throwing it up into the air and catching it every time when it came down. He was incredibly quick with his hands as his talent for card tricks bore evidence to that. He smiled back when he saw her smile until he stopped his show and opened the coke and she did likewise. Silence settled between them once more but it was more comfortable this time.

      “My father could do that,” she suddenly said, but regretted it as soon as it was out. Where did that come from? She hadn’t talked of her parents in ages.

      “Catch things?” Remy guessed.

      “Yeah,” she admitted, lost in memories.

      “You love him?” Remy finally asked when she didn’t explain. What a strange thing to ask, she thought.

      “I did,” Remy looked at her, expecting her to elaborate. “My parents died three years ago in a car accident.”

      “I’m sorry,” he finally said, not knowing what else to say or do. Tears formed in her eyes but she blinked them away. She had spent enough time crying, enough time being depressed. Now she wanted the sunlight…she wanted yellow……light, warm and summer.

      “How about your parents?”

      “I don’t know. I never knew them.” It was said as a statement of fact but she still heard the hint of old pain and doubt in his voice. Suddenly so much of what he did made sense to her; his need for independence, as he feared being abandoned again and his fear of closeness. She felt great compassion wash over her as he stood there, trying to look cold and hard but she saw the small, frightened child in his eyes.

      “I’m so sorry,” she said softly, a lump in her throat. At least she still had her memories…he had nothing.

      “It’s okay. It was so long ago,” he mumbled and this time it was him who looked down. Suddenly he looked small and scared…not the self assured charmer he normally played. This side of him she had never seen before and it went straight to her heart.

      “But it still hurts.” It was for him and for herself she said that. The pain of losing loved ones never went away, but with time it did fade. In that moment she realized it didn’t matter what he had been doing in town, what he had done, where he had been….she found she loved him. She had been attracted to him from the first moment she saw him, but she found she truly loved the man beneath the mask….so gentle, kind and haunted. Afterwards she would never be able to explain why she did what she did but she went across the floor, put her now empty coke can on the table and stopped before him. He raised his head and looked at her. She licked suddenly dry lips. The words she wanted to say wouldn’t come and suddenly she became nervous. What if he didn’t mean it when he had said she was beautiful? What if he meant it but that was all?

      “Mon belle,” he whispered as if he could read her mind before he bent down and gently caught her lips with his before he drew her into his embrace and deepened the kiss. She threw her arms around his neck and got lost in the moment and the sensations. When they finally drew apart they were both out of breath. She opened her eyes to look into his and found her own doubts reflected in them and from somewhere within she knew that he needed to hear it first, that he had been used and hurt too many times to dare hold out his heart in his hand again. Praying she hadn’t misread it, she stroked his cheek with her right hand and smiled when he caught it in his and held it close to his chin, enjoying the feel of her touch.

      “I love you,” her words were spoken softly, but seemed loud in the small kitchen.

      “Because you find me handsome?” he suddenly asked, his eyes clouded and hard.

      She shook her head in denial.

      “No. I was attracted to you, yes and you are handsome but that’s not why I love you. It’s the small things…the way you smile, how you tease me….your gallant ways and the sweet nicknames you say,” she tried to explain but found it hard to describe a feeling.

      He smiled happily; warmly.

      “I love you too, Jubes. I fell in love with you almost from the first moment I saw you. You’re fun, sweet, smart…and very beautiful. Don’t ever doubt that,” he added the last as he saw her blush and how she shook her head at his words.

      “I’m not,” she mumbled. She couldn’t be.

      “You are and always will be to me,” he promised and sealed his promise with a long kiss before he gathered her in a strong and secure embrace.

      “I can’t promise I’ll stop shopping…or wearing yellow but you’re my sunshine now,” she mumbled happily against his shoulder.

      “And I can’t promise I’ll stop flirting but you‘re the only one who holds my heart and I‘ll never go beyond words with anyone but you, mon belle,” he said softly and she smiled happily as he stroked his hand her over the hair and kissed the top of her head.

      Mon belle……my beautiful……he really loved her and she realized that she really and truly loved him.

      My sunshine…..my yellow…. she really loved him and he realized that he really and truly loved her.

      The End