Fic: "Darker Destiny: Deep In The Darkness" (1/1) R

  • Nadja Lee
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 14, 2002
      Darker Destiny: Deep In The Darkness
      By Nadja Lee 14/05/02
      Timeline: Set in the movie universe/an AU. Before the movie
      Universe: Set in the movie universe; NOT the book which goes with it.
      Romance: None
      Archiving: Want, ASK, take, have.
      Rating: R
      For Terri who asked for this.
      Thanks to Estelle for the Beta
      Warning: May contain disturbing elements. This is a VERY dark tale! You have been warned.
      Sequel/series: Part of the “Darker Destiny” series.

      Have you ever wondered what it is like to be hated for something which you have no control over?

      I don’t understand. I just don’t understand. Where does all that hate come from? Where does all the prejudice come from? Are they born with it or is it something they learn with age?
      Why can’t they see the beauty in diversity; in difference? Everyone shall look the same, act the same, talk the same……row upon row of cloned people; not an original one among them.
      They all have the power to break free, to be themselves but they are too afraid. Others’ acceptance means more to them than justice and honour……
      I’ve seen it and felt it. The looks and whispers as I enter a room. I’m different; I don’t look like them. They fear me and through fear comes hate. One on a few lets me know of their fears; but together they feel stronger; bolder and moral is forgotten in the heat of the moment.
      Racism. The word makes you think it’s just about skin colour. It’s of course that but it’s so much more. When a child tells his mom he doesn’t want to play with a certain kid because he has messy hair or a strange nose or old clothes…….it’s all the same. That’s also prejudice and a form of racism; you judge people by appearance alone and not the qualities within. Prejudice against someone because of his skin colour, looks, religion, age, sex or sexuality is all the same and among to the same; fear. It’s all a matter of fear and lack of understanding.
      Prejudice and racism come in many forms and shapes; they’re the obvious comments, they’re the moving away from you, they’re whispers and looks……. they’re being overlooked, they’re jumping to conclusions….
      If I could just talk with them; explain. But they won’t listen; fearful people never will. It’s a human trait; what we don’t understand we fear and what we fear we destroy.
      Sometimes I think they’ll never learn. I must walk in the shadows while they get to let their pretty prejudices grow. I can try and teach them; enlighten them but you can’t force people to listen or to open their hearts. Some people are just too cold, too distant and too consumed by their own hates and fears to be reached.
      Once I thought I could heal the world. I had faith in mankind and what we could achieve together. Now I see that very few are willing to listen. The majority of humans don’t care about anyone but themselves and will always believe the worst. They don’t care and they don’t want to know.
      Maybe that’s what shocks me the most. Here, in this country and this age, everyone has every opportunity to gain access to knowledge yet so few do. It’s rare for me to find someone who knows what goes on in other countries; it’s even rarer to find someone who’s up to date on current events that doesn’t directly concern them.
      I don’t want to give up but I’ve seen too much and fought too hard…….I’ve felt their lack of compassion and love up close and personal. I see more hate and fear in their eyes than kindness and openness.
      What anger me the most are their double standards. They’ll yell for blood on Monday yet go to church Sunday and read from a book that preaches only love and forgiveness…….and afterwards they’ll talk about the necessity of the death penalty and how those who are different from themselves shouldn’t be allowed to be anywhere near them.
      Such hate……..such blindness. What can I do? They won’t listen and I’m getting tired of shouting to deaf ears. What difference can I do? So few are willing to open up…….so few………
      Why? I wish I knew that. Why do they practise hate when they could practise love? Why?