Fic: "Through The Ages We Fight" PG-13 [Logan/Rogue, Methos/Alexa]

  • Nadja Lee
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2002
      Hi all,

      This is still a crossover between Highlander and X-men and you still don’t need
      to know anything about Highlander to follow this.

      Enjoy:

      Through The Ages We Fight

      By Nadja Lee 25/02/02

      Disclaimer: “Highlander” and all the characters here belong to Davis/Panzer and I intend no infringement, this is a piece of amateur fan fiction, and I make no money of it.

      Timeline: Set after the X-men movie and after the Highlander episode Methuselah’s Gift.

      Universe: Set in the X-men movie universe and Highlander series universe.

      Pairing: Logan/Rogue, Methos/Alexa

      Archiving: Want, ASK, take, have.

      Rating: PG-13

      Series/sequel: This story is a sequel to “Through The Ages We Wander”. Part 2 in “Through The Ages….” series.

      Dedicated to: Sorcieré with love.

      Note: This is a crossover between X-men movie universe and the Highlander series universe…Like you hadn’t figured that out already *LOL*. You don’t need to know anything at all about Highlander to follow this story.

      Part 1:

      Methos was rudely awakened from his sleep when the doorbell ran. Automatically his hand reached for the sword beneath the bed. He couldn’t feel another Immortal. Whoever was at the door was mortal.

      “Is it an Immortal?” Alexa asked, her voice holding a hint of fear as she turned in bed and faced him as the noise had also awakened her. The moonlight coming from the bedroom window made her silhouette shine like a halo on an angel.

      “No. Just go back to sleep, I’ll handle this,” he said with a smile and gave her a quick kiss before he jumped out of bed, taking his sword with him just in case. Dressed only in boxers he reached the door just as another impatient and loud ring sounded.

      “Do it a little louder, why don’t you? I don’t think they heard you in Timbuktu,” Methos said irritated as he opened the door, his sword raised in his hands.

      “That took you long enough. Beginning to feel your age?” Logan smirked and grinned at Methos’s shocked look. Behind Logan stood Ororo and Scott, Ororo trying to lighten the mood with a kind smile.

      “Funny,” Methos bummed and let the sword fall to his side and reluctantly sidestepped to let them in. After having hanged their coats Methos lead them to the livingroom.

      “I’m sorry we come so early…” Ororo began.

      “Early? It’s 3:30. We didn’t even wake this early in the Middle Ages,” Methos complained.

      “But this is very important,” she finished.

      “Ororo! Scott, Logan. How wonderful to see you again,” Alexa said as she entered the livingroom, a morning dress covering her nightgown. Alexa hugged first Ororo and then the two men. “You must be thirsty after your journey. Let me get you something to drink,” she looked around to hear what they wanted.

      “Just a beer, cheré[1],” Methos said and she smiled. Methos loved beer, some day she’ll get the story out of him why that was.

      “Make that three. Shooter and I’ll also have one,” Logan told her.

      “I’ll help you,” Ororo said and the two women disappeared into the kitchen, happy to have the chance to catch up on the years they have been apart.

      “So, what brings you here? For that matter how did you find me?” Methos asked. If he was so easy to find he’ll have to move again.

      “You seem to have a weakness for the name Adam in some form. Doctor Adams…Adam Nielson…Adam Pierson,” Scott said and named Methos’s three last aliases.

      “You must admit…it fits. The first man…the oldest Immortal,” Methos grinned.

      “You hide your tracks well but Professor Xavier has many recourses,” Scott calmed him with.

      “So the good Professor has added detective to his line of work besides saving the world from itself? A little ambitious even for him.”

      “Enough bullshit,” Logan said impatiently. “I’m here to collect on my debt.”

      “I thought we agreed to first meet in a lifetime or two yet it has been only five years,” Methos reminded him.

      “It doesn’t change that you gave me your word.”

      “ And this is why long distance relationships in any way are so great,” Methos mumbled. Suddenly the women’s laughter could be heard from the kitchen and Methos smiled. He did owe Logan. He owed him Alexa’s life. He remembered what he had told Alexa when she had asked him why he would want to go out with her when he had asked her out on their first date…’because the alternative is unthinkable’ he had simply answered. And life without her was unthinkable. “Very well. What do you want?”

      “Do you know Valentin Donicaff?” Scott asked, his shaded eyes looking directly at the other man.

      “Oh, no. No way,” Methos shook his head. “I’m not getting involved with mortal business.”

      “You were a General during WW2. You call that not interfering?!” Logan asked disbelieving. Methos sighed.

      “That was a mistake. I had used the identity as Doctor Adams for too many years; too many people knew I was Immortal. I had an…unpleasant run-in with an old acquaintance and had to change identity quickly. I had worked as a doctor during WW1 and knew that the real General Nielson was about 30 when he dead in the war with no family or relatives. So, I assumed his identity and had hoped to disappear quickly,” Methos explained.

      “But why not simply leave? Disappear for real?” Scott wanted to know.

      “In 1920 it was beginning to become difficult if you wanted to change identity AND keep your assets. Over the years I’ve gathered…some money and I couldn’t just leave it.”

      “Then why join the army? Couldn’t you pay for not enlisting or something?”

      “I only joined the army to get away from my persistent follower…in 1944. There is no better hiding place than in the middle of a war,” Methos said knowingly.

      “So…you stayed with the army till 1945?” Scott asked more out of general curiosity than anything.

      “No. I was ‘wounded’ in the one battle I was in and then discharged myself,” Methos told them.

      “So, the battle…all those deaths…just so you could get home?!” Logan almost yelled furiously just as the women entered with the beers.

      “No. I had no idea it would be like that. I was in France as a strategic; I said that to break through Hitler’s line we needed a decoy. I didn’t know they’ll use it nor that it’ll be you,” Methos claimed but Logan wasn’t sure if he believed him.

      “You didn’t join the war to fight or because you found it a just cause…you did it simply to stay alive,” Scott suddenly realised and Methos spread his arms in a ‘so what?’ gesture.

      “Let’s all relax. The past isn’t on trial here,” Ororo smoothened.

      “Look, if you’re looking for a save the world kinda guy you have come to the wrong man. Ask MacLeod. That’s his department,” Methos tried to pretend Alexa’s wounded look at his words didn’t matter to him but didn’t quite succeed.

      “MacLeod? Connor MacLeod? He’s Immortal too?” Logan asked surprised. He had met Connor once during the war and now that he thought about it he had seemed surprisingly brave. Of course it was first much later than he had learned that his real name was Connor MacLeod as he had enlisted using a different name.

      “Duncan MacLeod,” Methos clarified. He saw their confused looks. “They’re clansmen.” Methos shook his head. “Anyway, I can’t help you.”

      “Are you so against fighting…. or are you so afraid of dying?” Ororo asked softly. Methos’s eyes narrowed.

      “You can be a real pain in the ass, you know that?” he complained.

      “Wait a minute. Then you CAN die?” Scott asked surprised.

      “If an Immortal’s head is separated from his body, he dies,” Logan told him.

      “Well, that explains the sword,” Scott nodded towards the drawer on which Methos had laid his sword.

      “Look, I haven’t interfered in mortal business since the 11th century; not wars, not anything. Nothing good comes out of it anyway, you just risk ending up dead,” Methos said.

      “What is it you want Methos to do?” Alexa asked softly.

      “Valentin Donicaff is a well known gangster and drug dealer. Rogue overheard a conversation between him and his right hand man by accident which implicates him in both murder and drugs,” Scott began.

      “Let me take a wild guess…he wasn’t too happy about that and tried to have her killed as I’m sure you do good people couldn’t just be smart for once and walk away?” Methos guessed.

      “Luckily they got me instead,” Logan said and Methos nodded. He had often in the past shielded mortals with his body like that. It was a lot easier saving lives when you knew your sacrifice would only mean you’ll wake up a few minutes later.

      “So…. what exactly do you want Methos to do? Kill him?” Alexa demanded to know, shock in her voice. She knew that Immortals fought, she knew that any time an Immortal could come and challenge Methos to a fight to the death but that didn’t mean she had to like it.

      “Sounds good to me,” Logan said grimly.

      “There’s something about Valentin Donicaff you don’t know…….” Methos took a deep breath. “He’s Immortal.”

      “We know,” Scott said and Methos looked mystified at him.

      “After I killed him and he didn’t die I kinda figured that one out,” Logan said darkly. No one hurt his wife and lived. No one.

      “By the way…where IS Rogue?” Alexa suddenly realised she wasn’t with them.

      “In jail as she has been for the last…” Scott checked his watch. “…four hours.”

      “Whatever for?”

      “Logan killed some of Valentin Donicaff’s men when he defended Rogue and him being an influential man…”

      “Had her arrested and changed for the murders,” Methos finished for him.

      “Methos, we have to help her. She saved my life,” Alexa insisted and went to sit in Methos’s lap, her hands around his neck. “Please?”

      Methos smiled warmly at her and put some loose hair behind her ear.

      “Douchka[2], how can I deny you anything?” he kissed her warmly on the lips before he gently lifted her down to stand on the floor and he went to the front door, taking his sword and coat.
      ”Well, you’re coming?” he asked after Logan, Ororo and Scott who quickly followed him.

      “Where’re we going?” Ororo asked, as they were halfway through the front door.

      “To get Rogue out of jail.”
      ”How are you gonna do that?” Logan demanded to know. His threats and demands hadn’t helped her and only Ororo and Scott’s interference had prevented Logan from breaking Rogue out of jail.

      “I’m a lawyer. I’m sure I can get her out,” Methos said with a smirk.

      “Yeah, you probably have papers for almost all jobs,” Logan said as he disappeared after Scott out the door, Ororo close behind.

      “Doctor, lawyer, engineer, medicine man…whatever you need,” Methos said as he turned in the door and saw Alexa coming to him. She threw herself into his arms and kissed him on the lips. When he drew back he saw tears on her cheeks.

      “Don’t cry, cheré. I can take anything but your tears,” he whispered softly and gently wiped them away with his thumb.

      “Get Rogue out but please don’t fight this man. Promise me you’ll come back to me,” Alexa asked, trying to fight back tears.

      “You know me…I haven’t lived this long caring about anyone but myself,” Methos said softly but she didn’t believe him for she knew how much he loved her.

      “Just be careful. I love you,” she said and kissed him again.

      “I love you too,” he said and stroked her cheek before he turned to go. ” I’ll be back soon,” he promised as he closed the door behind him.

      “You better be,” Alexa whispered softly to the closed door.

      Part 2:

      “See? Told you I could get her out,” Methos smirked as they had finally left the police station after 5 hours of Methos fighting with them over Rogue’s release. Scott had followed Methos’s arguments and his defence of her all the way and knew enough about mind games and manipulation to know Methos had used both…but it had worked. Rogue had been freed when the police had found she couldn’t possibly have killed the men…. though how they had come to that conclusion Scott doubted even they knew after all the word twisting and manipulation Methos had played on them.

      “Thanks, Methos,” Rogue said warmly and hugged him tight before she went back into Logan’s embrace. They began to walk down the street searching for a taxi, Logan and Rogue having enough in each other and Methos noticed Ororo’s hand finding Scott’s.

      “So, you two dating or what?” Methos asked and Scott smiled.

      “Yes, we are,” he said proudly and looked lovingly down at Ororo.

      “Well, I kn….”Methos began with a smile as suddenly he felt the familiar tingling in his brain meaning an Immortal was near. “I think we should go the other way,” he quickly said and turned around on his heels.

      “Why?” Scott asked confused but followed him, as did the others. Methos scanned the street; it was quiet and deserted save for them and the Immortal he had felt. Damn, then he couldn’t hide in the crowd or use it to escape. Suddenly out from between two houses came a tall white man in his late forties, a sword in his hand.

      “That’s why,” Methos said darkly.

      “Valentin Donicaff, you murdering bastard!” Logan yelled furiously and only Rogue’s hand on his arm prevented him from jumping the man.

      “We finally meet again, Methos. So, are you going to fight me this time or run away again?” Valentin teased and lifted his sword.

      “Shall I shoot him?” Scott asked and his hand had moved to his glasses. It might not kill him but it would slow him down.

      “How about Scooter shoot him and then you take his head. Problem solved,” Logan said simply.

      “As tempting as that sounds…I have to follow the rules of the game,” Methos finally said, having given Logan’s suggestion some serious thought. Bloody Hell, why had MacLeod also had to go and find his conscience for him after he had spent so many centuries losing it?

      “Let’s get on with it then,” Valentin said and smiled superiorly, sure he would win. Methos drew his sword and neared Valentin. He held his ground and waited for Valentin to make the first move. Then he blocked and threw in some assaults himself, trying to recall all he could about Valentin’s fighting style so he could outmanoeuvre him.

      “Shouldn’t we help him?” Rogue asked as she saw the two men fight. Valentin seemed to have gotten the better of Methos who was on his knees and had gotten a cut in his right shoulder that was beginning to bleed.

      “Scooter, if it looks like Methos is gonna loose…shoot him, full power,” Logan demanded and Scott nodded, his hands moving to his glasses. Methos wasn’t as weak as Valentin had thought and used his position on his knees to push his sword into Valentin’s stomach who went to his knees in pain. Methos stood up and hovered over him.
      ”You fool! Just because I don’t like to fight doesn’t mean I can’t,” with that Methos cut his head clean off.

      “Taker cover! NOW,” Logan yelled and pulled Rogue with him in between the two buildings Valentin had come from. Scott and Ororo quickly followed him. Suddenly lighting lit up the sky and it all entered Methos who screamed in pain.

      “Methos! By the Goddess, I must stop it,” Ororo said and was about to fly up and try and use her control of the weather to stop it.

      “Don’t,” Logan put his hand on her arm and held her back. “This always happens when they kill one of their own. It’ll pass.”

      “But…” Ororo began but as she spoke the lighting stopped and Methos fell to his knees, looking very exhausted.

      “It’s safe now,” Logan said needlessly and they all ran to Methos and helped him to his feet.

      “You alright?” Ororo asked worried.
      ”Yeah.”

      “So…that wasn’t so bad, was it?” Logan grinned and Methos cast him a dirty look.

      “We’re even now.”

      “Sure. And don’t worry, you won’t see me for a long time,” Logan reassured him.

      “Good, then maybe I can get back to my quiet life again.”

      “Your life was never quiet,” Logan grinned.

      “Then quieter,” Methos insisted.
      ”You just have to be right, don’t you?”
      ”No, but I happen to always be right. I’m the oldest and therefore the wisest,” he teased and they all laughed.

      The End

      [1] French for ’beloved’

      [2] Russian for ’Darling’