Challenge Ficlet: Crumpled: 1/1: Xavier/Magneto

  • victoria p.
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 25, 2002
      Title: Crumpled
      Author: Victoria P. [victoria_p@...]
      Rating: PG, slash implied
      Archive: Lists, Muse's Fool; otherwise, please ask. I'll say yes.
      Feedback: Always welcome
      Notes: Thanks to Jen, Pete, Dot, Meg and M'Rae. Another response to
      Khaki's challenge - just a shorty, about 250 words, me getting back in
      the swing of things...

      ~ ~ indicates telepathy

      ***

      Crumpled

      He should have seen it coming.

      It was icy, but he'd driven the Taconic since he was sixteen, never
      worrying about the hairpin turns or the weather.

      ~I should have seen it coming,~ he thought, grasping Eric's hand
      tightly.

      "You're a telepath, not a clairvoyant," Eric snapped, and he knew Eric
      was angry with himself, though there was no reason for him to be.

      "Still..."

      "I should have been there," Eric said. "I could have gotten you out of
      there sooner, and with more finesse than their jaws of life." His voice
      was harsh, sandpaper against Charles's pounding headache, but comforting
      for all that, because it was familiar, loved.

      "You couldn't have put me back together again," Charles replied,
      strength ebbing as the morphine wore off and the pain in his ribs made
      itself known.

      He'd have given everything he owned to feel the pain of his broken legs,
      but his spinal cord had been severed when the Bentley had collided
      head-on with a driver who'd lost control on the ice.

      His was the most powerful mind the human race had ever produced, and yet
      he lay helpless, like an infant, in the hospital bed.

      Later, when they had time to process it, both men would realize this was
      the beginning of the long and miserable end of their love. Each blamed
      himself, and, when that became unbearable, each blamed the other for not
      knowing, not seeing, not being there.

      But at the moment, they were simply two lovers who could not reveal
      their love in public, dealing with a shock that would eventually break
      them apart.

      "If only you'd come with me earlier," Eric whispered, stroking Charles's
      forehead with a gentle hand.

      "If only I had seen it coming," Charles muttered, then drifted off to
      sleep.

      End

      victoria

      --

      "I have yet to find a sure thing that I don't doubt / I can't think of a
      thing I can safely think about" - "Song for a Girl Who Has One" - Too

      --

      The Muse's Fool: http://www.unfitforsociety.net/musesfool
      read my diary: http://musesfool.diaryland.com