Challenge Ficlet: The Question: 1/1: Logan

  • victoria_p@att.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 24, 2002
      Title: The Question
      Author: Victoria P. [victoria_p@...]
      Rating: Gen
      Disclaimer: All X-Men characters belong to Marvel and
      Fox; this piece of fan-written fiction intends no
      infringement on any copyrights.
      Archive: Lists, Muse's Fool. If you want, ask.
      Feedback: Yeah, sure.
      Notes: Thanks Dot, Meg, Jen, and Pete'n'Melissa. This is
      a response to Khaki's first line challenge. It just
      showed up, thereby showing the first crack in my
      writer's block.

      ~*~

      The Question

      He should have seen it coming.

      He should have been able to add the clues up, but he was
      blind. Willfully so, if he was honest with himself.

      Looking back, he could even pinpoint when things
      changed -- he still had the letter from her, the one
      that first mentioned Remy's arrival and his initial
      interest in her.

      But he was away, and the search for his past was almost
      all-consuming.

      The next clue -- about a year after Remy's first
      appearance -- she stopped whispering, "I love you" into
      the phone after saying goodbye. She had to know he could
      hear it, even if he never gave any indication, always
      hanging up before saying it back. She was too young, and
      he was staying away, giving her a chance to grow up,
      experience life, before he came back and claimed her.

      Remy's name grew more and more prominent in her letters,
      but he chose to ignore the implications. He thought it
      was good that she had someone interested in her, someone
      who didn't mind her skin. He didn't want her to feel
      isolated from the others at the school while he was
      away, though some part of him had hoped she'd missed and
      needed him as much as he had her.

      Time moved on, as it always does, as he chased one dead
      end after another in search of his past. Her letters
      grew less and less frequent, and now, she was just as
      often out when he called as she was waiting for his call.

      The night she hung up first, without waiting for him,
      was the night he knew he had to get back before he lost
      her completely.

      He'd still believed, at that point, that he had a
      chance, that she was his and he hadn't waited too long.

      He came back to find her more beautiful than he'd ever
      imagined, and wearing Remy's ring on her left hand.

      He should have seen it coming, but he hadn't.

      And how he stared at her in shock, unable to process the
      question she'd asked.

      "Logan? Did you hear me? I asked if you'd give me away
      at the wedding."

      He nodded absently, his mind reeling as his heart
      dropped to his toes.

      Rogue flung herself into his arms and squeezed
      him. "Thanks so much, Logan! I told Remy you'd never let
      me down."

      She ran off to tell her fianc´┐Ż the good news, leaving
      Logan standing shell-shocked in the kitchen.

      End

      ~*~

      victoria

      ~*~