FIC: Causa Anima [16/18] [PG-13]

  • tosh
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 12, 2001
      Causa Anima
      by Nancy Lorenz.

      E-mail: tosh@...
      Rating: PG-13. Some violent, disturbing themes. Swearing.
      Archive: XMMFF, WRFA. All else, all ya gotta do is ask.
      Classification: General, L/R UST, S/J content.
      Series: Manus Mortiferum
      Spoilers: The Movie.
      Synopsis: Continues on after the movie. The Mutant Situation is
      worsening and Erik Lenscherr escapes from prison. Rogue suffers
      a terrible mishap during the mission to stop him that shakes the
      foundations of her psyche and changes her life completely.
      Disclaimer: All characters copyright Marvel and Fox.
      Feedback: Enjoyed, responded to, adored and worshiped. Respond
      to the email above :)
      Author's Note: This is beta read, but not to the fullest extent
      that it can be. Some comma and semi-colon confusion occurs. Does
      that really bother you? I figure it's only fan-fic, and I have a
      comic to ink so I don't have the energy to break my back over
      this thing. But I did get rid of the spelling mistakes and the
      grammar mistakes. Most of them anyways :) Very big thank you
      to my Betas - JennyEdu, Jennifer Hallmark, and Shana Nolan. Love
      ya's alls mates! Oh - and I know I said I'm releasing it a
      chapter a day, but I'll forget to do that I think, so I'm just
      doing it bunch by bunch :)
      Dedication: To the WRGrrls. You've been around for over a year,
      and the fandom is still going. That's majorly cool. Without
      your support, your enthusiasm and love, I'd be nowhere. This
      tenacity and companionship has helped me improve the crafts that
      I want to take into a career. For that, I thank you and love you
      always. Thank you girls.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Chapter Sixteen:
      Legacy

      They walked silently down the hall, civilian attire soft and
      comforting after the stiff thick leather they'd donned all
      night. He was stoic, withdrawn, looking to her watchfully as
      they plodded back to their separate rooms.

      She would look to him from time to time, and try to smile. He
      tried very hard to smile back, but the smile wasn't in him.
      He'd been too damned worried for her, too damned scared when he
      couldn't find her for that split second in the lab offices. Her
      smile was difficult because of what she had seen, and what she'd
      been through. She didn't realise that simply talking could be so
      exhausting, but facing off her worst and most intimate enemy
      drained her like nothing she'd ever known.

      Her eyelids lolled up and down, and he sighed.

      "You look ready for bed, Kid."

      Rogue nodded wearily. "I am so ready."

      The smile Logan had been chasing splashed on his face a brief
      moment. They slowed as they reached Logan's room, and he
      stepped awkwardly, frowning.

      "Uh..." He cleared his throat. "You okay? After, I mean... with
      Magneto an-"

      "Ah'm fine," she said, nodding. "Thanks for helping me out of the
      - you know..." She mimed the office partition around her and
      Logan nodded thoroughly.

      "Yeah, yeah, yeah," he said, waving a hand, "It's nothing."

      She looked up to him, large brown eyes warm. "It's not nothing
      to me."

      For a moment, he felt lost in those eyes. Such kindness, such
      understanding. He couldn't fathom it, that such tenderness was
      for him. He didn't feel like he deserved it, what she so freely
      gave him day in and day out. All he knew was that without it...
      He didn't want to think about being without it. It scared him
      too much. He pressed his lips together, sighing softly, and
      hesitantly, he brought his hand up to her shoulder. She looked
      down to it, and then to him, and with the tiniest of rumbles he
      pulled her to him, wrapping his arms around her.

      She stood there for a moment, a little uncertain of what to do,
      her hands inching their way around his wide form.

      "What's this for?" she said, a touch breathlessly.

      "Not gettin' yourself killed," he replied, stepping back. After
      gazing at her one more time, he brought his still gloved first
      knuckle to her chin, nudging it gently. "Night."

      She smiled broadly. "Night Logan."

      Although she was tired, her smile was bright. It filled Logan
      with something intangible, and as she turned and strode down the
      hall, hair bobbing, wafting the most delicious perfume, Logan
      retreated to his room. He closed the door behind him, and the
      smile lived in his mind, vivid, lasting. It didn't leave him,
      and it stayed with him as he collapsed in bed, drifting off to
      sleep.

      Her hand shook as she reached for the telephone, her breaths
      shallow and hot. Her eyes hurt, and the glasses pushed up into
      her hair stung at her scalp. The steady beep of the internal
      line sung at her from the handset, and she pressed a button. Her
      voice was scratchy from disuse, and the voice on the other end of
      the line, although well spoken, was just as rough.

      "Henry," she said, "Have you hit the government initiative files
      yet?"

      "I am reading these a second time," said Hank.

      She blew out a sigh, fighting tears in her eyes. Tears of
      frustration, of fear, of grief. "I can barely- " She lost her
      breath, covering her mouth, eyes stinging and welling. "I'm
      sorry... I'm tired... I wouldn't usually-"

      "These are not usual circumstances," Hank replied. "We should
      tell the Professor of these files."

      "I know," Jean said, "I know, I just... It's going to be a blow
      to him."

      "It will also clarify things," he said, "Including why Magneto
      felt compelled to break into the genetics laboratory."

      "Oh yeah," said Jean. "It clears things up real nicely."

      She sat there for a moment, quiet, sharing the silence with Hank,
      clicking through the files. She felt like she'd been kicked in
      the stomach. Everything she'd done, everything she'd fought
      for... she felt like it was all wasted, all decimated in a few
      words.

      Mutant gene inhibitor, in the form of an easily transmissible
      virus. The government, whether the President knew it or not, was
      taking up germ warfare to clean up a portion of society. The
      uncontrollable element. The wild card.

      She blew a sigh through her cheeks again. "We're screwed."

      "Not entirely," said Beast. "We've discovered their plans early,
      and with dubious thanks to Magneto's terrorist efforts, have all
      the information they gathered in their research efforts.
      Counteracting any virus they manage to develop may not be too
      difficult."

      "I have a bad feeling about this, Hank." She shook her head,
      scrolling through one of the documents. "A really bad feeling."