FIC: Male Bonding

  • Autumn Biggins
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 9, 2001
      Title: Male Bonding

      Author: Autumn

      E-mail: eddievedderismylife@...

      Disclaimer: I do not own Logan or Marie. The song is �Closer� by Better
      Than Ezra, and Tanner is my creation!

      Rating: G. Yes, from me, shocking I know. : )

      Author�s Notes: Go out and buy �Closer� by Better Than Ezra please, please
      do. You�ll be oh-so-happy you did, I promise. On that note, I promise to
      try and stop writing song-fickish things. Really. Last one, I think.

      And the morning light was breaking
      Slowly moving across the bed
      He gets up without her waking
      To the voices in his head

      Through the shadows in the hallway
      To the room they painted blue
      And on the inside he is frightened
      At a loss for what to do

      The man known as Logan rose from his bed in the early morning
      light. Contrary to popular belief, Logan was the quintessential early bird;
      it was his wife that liked to sleep in late. Hearing stirring from the
      other room, Logan kissed his wife on the top of her head and crossed the
      small hallway to the nursery.
      The gruff man poaked his head over the handmade crib to look at
      his son. Even six months later, he was still amazed that he had had a part
      in creating this little person. Though he�d never admit it, Logan was
      always a little afraid to pick him up for fear of hurting the infant. The
      outstretched arms were a clear indication that the child wanted to be picked
      up, and he tentatively reached down to pick his son up. Not wanting the
      baby to start crying and wake Marie up, Logan strode over to the rocking
      chair Marie always used when she was trying to put their child to sleep.

      Until he opens up his eyes
      And the angels all look down

      Even closer than this life
      Closer than your faith
      Closer than the things that you hold dearly
      And in vain
      Closer than this life
      Falling through again
      Giving more than anything
      That you could hope to win

      An amalgamation of peace, love, joy, pride, contentment and
      protectiveness radiated from the connection between Logan and his son. The
      kid�s looks balanced equally between his parents. He had Marie�s dark brown
      hair and fair skin. He got his hazel eyes and expressive facial features
      from Logan. Scott swore that the kid already had the raised eyebrow down
      pat.
      They�d decided on the name Tanner for their first child. As
      Tanner turned his curious gaze to his father their eyes locked, and Logan
      was overwhelmed with sensation. This child was everything to him. Tanner
      was everything pure, innocent and unaffected in the world. He was the
      creation of the deep connection between himself and Marie, and he was a
      reflection of the love that Logan still couldn�t believe he�d been granted.
      Tanner symbolized all the good in Logan�s life. He was the karmic balance
      for the lost years and memories.

      And he knows his life is changing
      It's never easy letting go
      For the first time you are mortal
      As the child before you grows
      And he wonders at the sight
      Of the joy that he has found

      Even closer than this life
      Closer than your faith
      Closer than the things that you hold dearly
      And in vain
      Closer than this life
      Falling through again
      Giving more than anything
      That you could hope to win

      When Marie had first announced her desire to start a family,
      Logan was a little bit freaked. Though he loved Marie and couldn�t imagine
      ever wanting to leave, adding a baby to the equation really cemented his
      attachment to Westchester. It was the end of his life on the road, the end
      of one chapter in his life, and the beginning of another. Looking back now
      it was kind of funny, the big, badass Wolverine was a little afraid at the
      thought of a baby.
      God he was glad his wife was so smart, and caring, and stubborn
      enough to withhold sex from him until he was ready to at least talk about
      starting a family. He�d cracked after all of 12 hours. So the baby-making
      had commenced, and as soon as he�d sensed her body chemistry changing to
      accommodate another lifeform he had the profound sense that his life was
      going to change. Perhaps it was obvious, but it had been the strongest
      feeling like that he�d ever had, including the night before he�d proposed to
      Marie.

      And what would you intend to find?
      Solitude? Your peace of mind?
      Holding out for something less
      Than touching the hand of God?

      Even closer than this life
      Closer than this faith
      Closer than the things that you hold dearly
      And in vain
      Closer than this life
      Falling through again
      Giving more than anything
      That you could hope to win

      Tanner eventually yawned, and Logan unwilling to break the
      imitate moment just yet, continued rocking his son gently in his arms. The
      child fell asleep with a peaceful expression that Marie had told him was an
      exact replica of his father�s. As the pink sky began to grow brighter,
      Logan rose from the chair and strode back into the room he and Marie shared.
      He took a moment to admire the mother of his child, one of
      his favorite pastimes. Her chocolate and white hair strewn across the pillow
      eyes close, mouth slightly open and tiny frame curled up underneath the
      blankets. She shifted in her sleep, unconsciously seeking out Logan�s
      warmth. A slight frown creased her features as she failed to find her human
      furnace.
      Not wanting to deny her any longer, Logan carefully slipped
      into bed with Tanner still in tow. He gently pulled Marie too him, and
      placed Tanner on his chest. He breathed evenly, fully content. He had
      everything he loved, everything he could ever want or need lying right in
      this bed. Knowing that eventually they would have to get up and face the
      world, Logan settled for enjoying the moment and keeping his family as close
      to him as possible.

      Closer than this life
      Closer finally
      Living for the only thing
      You ever made complete
      Oh, for the one thing
      That you both did perfectly

      "You're fucking up my chi."-Stanely "Swordfish"

      " There's a thin line between 'hoby' and 'mental illness.'-Dave Barry

      "Your soul is like your appendix, I don't even use mine." -Kelso, That '70s
      Show

      " Damnit. Gilligan screwed up. Gilligan is always screwing up, they should
      just kill him."
      - Red Forman, That '70s Show