FIC: Face the Morning (1/

  • H20Babie6@AOL.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 13, 2001
      AUTHOR: Kelsey
      RATING: PG-13
      FEEDBACK: Please? Just click Reply!
      NOTES: This is the sequel to Crying in the Dark which can be found at:
      <A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/h20babie6/index.html">Kelsey's X-Men Fanfiction</A> . Face the Morning takes place about a year after
      Crying in the Dark.
      A million thanks to my super-BETA, Alyx. And to JenN who read this
      and was nice even though it doesn't revolve around Bobby!

      Part 1:
      He stopped because he was out of money and was unwilling to call the
      Professor
      for more. He stayed because it was, well because it was the exact opposite of
      Westchester. It was warm here, bright, empty. When it rained the rain was
      cleansing
      and healing. And the stars here…so bright, so clear. He wished Kitty could
      see them.

      He stopped because he was out of money but was unwilling to call the
      Professor for
      more. He stayed because it was, well because it was the exact opposite of
      Westchester. It was warm here, bright, empty. When it rained the rain was
      cleansing
      and healing. And the stars here - so bright, so clear. He wished Kitty could
      see them.

      “Hey bartender! Gimme another!” A kid called. Scott rolled his eyes
      behind his
      glasses. Who would think he’d end up a bartender? That had been Logan’s
      scene, not
      his. He pulled a beer up from behind the counter and slid it down to the kid.
      All in all it was not a bad gig. He’d been out of Westchester for a year,
      been in New
      Mexico for six months. It was an amazingly small town. So small in fact, that
      the bar
      Scott worked in was the only bar in town. He idly wiped the bar with a cloth.
      “Have you ever been betrayed?” A girl asked suddenly, her face streaked
      with tears.
      Scott, sighed, he’d never been good at being a confidante, an advisor.
      ~ The one downfall to bartending, you’re expected to listen.~
      “Once or twice,” He told her.
      “How did you deal with it?”
      ~ Well, I was forced out of my home and told not to come back. So I didn’t.~
      “I, uh,
      accepted it. We all make mistakes. And I, um, I have to hope that my
      betrayers regret
      their actions,” Scott sighed.
      “You’re saying I should just get over it?” the girl asked, bewildered.
      “I’m saying I got over it. I don’t know the circumstances of your
      betrayal.” ~All this time
      and I still sound like a teacher.~ “You have to decide whether who ever
      betrayed you
      is worth going back, or not.”
      “I guess.” That was what annoyed Scott. He empathized with these people, put
      his
      heart into advising them, and all he got out of it was an “I guess.”
      The bar, like many others, closed at one AM. Scott got home most nights by
      two or
      so, and when he got back he usually crashed. It was one of the things he had
      slowly
      gotten used to and learned to love, this lack of rigidity. If his students
      could see him
      now - tan and stubbly, t-shirts and jeans. He didn’t think he’d owned a pair
      of jeans
      when he’d lived at the mansion.
      He was a sound sleeper, always had been. So it was odd that he woke up at six
      instead of his usual nine or ten. “Huh?” he mumbled fumbling for his glasses.
      ~*Scott this is the Professor. You may come home now.*~
      “Home? Huh? Why are you talking to me at…six in the morning?”
      ~*To Westchester, Scott. You weren’t awake?*~
      “Uh, no.” Scott was thinking, and he’d gotten a little less than four
      hours of sleep.
      “What if I don’t want to go back?” he asked.
      ~*Why wouldn’t you want to come home?* ~
      “Because you don’t trust me, you kicked me out, you betrayed me…must I
      go on?”
      Scott asked.
      ~*No. I can understand your reluctance. There is, of course, no pressure.
      But
      Westchester has been your home for many years.*~
      But, and though Scott was reluctant to admit it, the mansion on
      Greymalkin Lane
      was home. Not his shabby, one room apartment, though it had become a
      sanctuary.
      And what was the point of being in New Mexico if he hadn’t learned how to
      survive at
      the mansion?
      Scott looked back through the rearview mirror of his dusty white pick-up
      truck as he
      left. The little town would always be part of his heart.

      JenN's Lady in Waiting and official washer of Bobby's feet
      Scott/Cyclops forever!
      Visit my site: <A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/h20babie6/index.html">Kelsey's X-Men Fanfiction</A> !!!
      "If I thought like a homicidal maniac, then I'd know how a homicidal maniac
      thinks!" -Dewey SCREAM 3
      "Life is pain Higness. Anyone who says otherwise is selling something."
      -Westley/Dread Pirate Roberts PRINCESS BRIDE
      "What's with you today? Yesterday you were normal, today you're like the
      Chinese guy from The Karate Kid!" "What's with today today?"- AJ and Lucas
      EMPIRE RECORDS
      "I mock you with my monkey pants!" -Oz BUFFY the VAMPIRE SLAYER (Before he
      left and the show got lame...)