FIC: Summer's End, 4/?, PG13/R, W/R

  • fyrdrakken@JUNO.COM
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2001
      DISCLAIMERS POSTED IN PART 0

      * * *

      The Massachusetts Academy turned to out be quite a change from Xavier’s
      school. For one thing, there were a *lot* more students. For another,
      only a few of them were actually mutants. Emma Frost was quite genuinely
      the headmistress of a very exclusive, very *expensive* private boarding
      school. The fact that a smallish percentage of the student body were
      actually mutants was one to which the "regular" students were very
      carefully kept oblivious.

      [Wonder how the hell she manages to hide a whole group of mutants in
      plain sight that way? They’re learning, their control isn’t perfect yet,
      there have *got* to be accidents — and surrounded by all these other
      students and teachers, that means witnesses...] Marie pondered the matter
      as her classmate and fellow mutant Aurora led her to algebra (like all
      the "regular school" classes, shared with the non-mutant students).
      Nothing like trying to keep a secret to make one appreciate methods of
      concealment...

      [Somehow I don’t think Frosty would have the least little problem with
      cleaning up after "accidents" by making all the witnesses forget what
      they saw,} Inner Logan muttered darkly.

      The idea seemed to fit. [Might as well give everyone practice in passing
      for "normal" where there’s someone around to keep a lid on things when
      they mess up,] Rogue figured. [Too bad we gotta sneak around like this,
      though. Guess Frosty isn’t real big on mutants and humans co-existing
      peacefully the way the Professor is.]

      [Hmmph. If Chuckie’s so big on humans and mutants getting along, why does
      he hide all the mutie students on the school grounds to look like he’s
      got a normal school from the outside?] came the voice of subliminal
      suspicion, Logan being cynical as ever.

      Erik’s fainter voice — lingering after having been inadvertently brought
      to the fore by Emma’s meddling the previous day — provided the response.
      [Because Charles, even with his foolish idealism, has *just* enough
      practicality to prefer that his students learn to defend themselves
      before he sends them out to play nice with the humans...]

      [Can’t argue with *that,*] Inner Wolvie grumbled, the idea appealing to
      his paranoia.

      [So I guess the mutants here are just learning to control their powers
      and blend in. Probably no superhero stuff.] Responding to Logan’s firm
      approval of the idea of "no superhero stuff," she added, [Just as well.
      I’m not entirely sure I’d want to be on the same side as Emma Frost when
      it came down to mutant vigilante action...]

      * * *

      FyrDrakken
      She Whose Quotations Are Both Exotic and Appropriate
      Keeper of his Deadly Startle Reflexes, Guardian and Examiner of the
      Adamantium-Revealing X-Rays, and Official Listener for the Occasional
      Aussie Vowels

      "Getting fired is the best thing that could happen to any of us. That
      way, we'd quit treading water and do something with our lives."
      -- Tyler Durden, _Fight Club,_ by Chuck Palahniuk
      GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.