ADMIN: virus warning

  • Shaz
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 22, 2001
      This is NOT a hoax.

      I'm currently spending my night running anti-virus programs and purging this
      *thing* from my computer, rather than writing like I had planned.

      I am NOT a happy listmod.

      If any of you recieve an unsolicited e-mail from someone containing an
      attachment (the attachment changes. for example, I got a bounce back from
      eGroups that had an infected version of one of my documents) and the
      following message:

      -------------------
      Hi! How are you?

      I send you this file in order to have your advice

      See you later. Thanks

      ------------------------

      DELETE IT RIGHT AWAY!

      The person who sent it to me will be warned privately. If the spreading of
      this virus is found to be an intentional act, the persons responsible will
      be removed from this list permanently.

      If your system is already infected by it, pass a warning along to the
      people in your address book and use the following information to fix your
      system...

      McAfee.com has seen a large and growing number of
      consumer computers infected with W32/SirCam@MM. This
      is a HIGH RISK VIRUS FOR CONSUMERS. The infected email
      can come from addresses that you recognize. Attached
      is a file with two different extensions. The file name
      itself varies.

      The email message can appear as follows:

      Subject: [filename (random)]
      Body: [content varies]

      Hi! How are you?
      I send you this file in order to have your advice
      or I hope you can help me with this file that I send
      or I hope you like the file that I sendo you
      or This is the file with the information that you ask
      for
      See you later. Thanks

      The virus searches for .GIF, .JPG, .JPEG, .MPEG, .MOV,
      .MPG, .PDF, .PNG, .PS, and .ZIP files in the MY
      DOCUMENTS folder and attempts to send copies of these
      documents to email recipients found in the Windows
      Address Book and addresses found in cached files.

      For detection and removal instructions for the Sir Cam
      Virus,click here.
      ->
      http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=2371.

      Thank you,