FIC: Rogue's Day Off

  • rimmette@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2001
      Yes, I know I have two uncompleted series out there, and I will
      finish them, I promise. I just needed something light.

      Title: Rogue's Day Off
      Author: Khaki
      Email: rimmette@...
      Category: General/Humor
      Disclaimer: If I owned them, would I be writing fan fic?
      Archive Rights: XMMFFC. Otherwise, just ask.
      Author's Notes: This takes place shortly after the end of the movie.
      Can you tell I need a holiday?

      *****

      Marie woke out of a dead sleep when a pillow slammed into her head.

      "Up and at 'em, Rogie," an irritatingly chipper Jubilee sing-songed.

      Marie groggily cracked open her eyes to see her yellow-attired
      roommate turn back to applying make-up, then closed her eyes again.
      She'd had a horrible night, besieged by not only Logan's but also
      Erik's nightmares. In fact, she'd only been able to fall asleep an
      hour before now.

      "C'mon, sleepy head," Jubilee said, yanking off Marie's cocooning
      blankets and leaving her exposed to the cool air of the room. "We've
      got poetry recitals in English and a history midterm. You can't lie
      in bed all day."

      But that's exactly what Marie wanted to do. She was too tired to go
      to classes today. In fact, she was too tired to even bother living
      today. She mumbled that sentiment to Jubilee as she buried her face
      back down into the pillow.

      Jubilee was relentless. She opened the curtains, allowing sunlight
      to beam onto Marie's face, and then turned the radio on full-blast.
      If Marie was going to get any rest, she needed to take drastic
      measures.

      Closing her eyes and concentrating, Marie spoke to the males who
      outnumbered her in her head. Logan was strongest, but Erik and David
      were well represented. After eight months, David was comfortably
      established in the back of her mind, but Logan and Erik were new and
      didn't get along. They'd settled into an uneasy truce for sanity's
      sake, but neither of them were too happy to be sharing such close
      quarters. None of them liked being so strongly reigned in by Marie,
      either, so she figured they'd all benefit by her little idea.

      'I need a break,' Marie thought to them. 'I'm going to take it. You
      need a little bit of freedom. I'm going to give it to you. Logan,
      you get 7 a.m. to 10 a.m. Erik, you get 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. David,
      you get 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. I'll take over after school. Sound good to
      everyone?'

      At their mental agreement, she thought, 'Good, I'm gone,' and escaped
      into her memories.

      She remembered a day spa she'd gone to with Emily for her birthday
      about a year ago. They'd been completely pampered all day and Marie
      wanted to experience it again. She smiled when she opened her eyes
      to see Em's smiling face.

      "Oh, Marie, this is so exciting. I love your Mom."

      "Isn't she great?" Marie enthused. A day of pampering and then a
      night of partying. Who could imagine a better sweet sixteen present?

      Marie soaked in a mud bath, basked in the textures of an exfoliating
      facial massage, felt every last muscle surrender to relaxation under
      a masseuse's skillful hands. It was everything she needed. Months
      on the road, relentless interior voices, terrifying death threats,
      painful machines, all of those memories faded into the background as
      she succumbed to the pleasant sensations.

      Before she knew it, it was 4 p.m. and time to take back control of
      her body. When she did, she found herself restrained to a bed in a
      metal room.

      "What the hell?" she said, pulling at the padded leather restraints
      without success.

      "Help!" she yelled, pulling at them harder.

      Jean walked over and looked down at her with undisguised pity.

      "Just calm down," she said in a slow, easy voice. "You're safe.
      Everything's going to be ok."

      "Jean, let me outta these," Rogue demanded. "What's going on? How
      did I get in the Med Lab?"

      "Rogue?" That was Jubilee's voice. Yep, there she was, coming up on
      the other side. "Is it really you?"

      Marie rolled her eyes at her friend's question. "Of course it's me.
      Who else..." Then, she realized what must have happened. "What did
      they do?" she asked.

      "Rogue," Jean said, now coming to understand that the girl was back
      in control. "I'm going to release the restraints now, but you can't
      leave yet. I need to observe you a little longer."

      "Anything, Jean, just take 'em off." Marie answered, eager to be free.

      Jean did as she said, and Marie sat up on the bed, folding her legs
      underneath her.

      "Ok, Jubes, spill it."

      Jubilee sighed and started her story.

      "I think Logan took over first. You growled at me when I got you out
      of bed, and you refused to wear anything remotely stylish, pulling on
      a black T-shirt and your gardening jeans. You even started to leave
      without doing anything to your hair, and when I insisted you fix it
      up a little, you stuffed it into a hat and called it good."

      Marie groaned, but let her roommate continue.

      "The real clue was at breakfast. You had ham, eggs, bacon, sausage.
      Girl, I think you took out an entire farm in one sitting."

      'Logan!' Marie mentally reprimanded.

      ~Sorry, darlin', I was hungry. You don't let us eat much.~

      "Anyway, I think English class was the most interesting," Jubilee
      continued.

      "I didn't."

      "Oh, yeah, you did. When Mr. Summers told you to get up and recite
      your poem, we heard all about a girl from Nantucket."

      "No! Logan!"

      Logan retreated to the back of her mind, escaping her mental lashing.

      "Yeah, you were acting real weird. Just sat in the back for the rest
      of the class smoking a cigar and making comments about the poems."

      "What else did Logan do?"

      "That's about the worst he got. Well, besides flirting with Dr. Grey
      all through biology."

      Marie groaned. Great just great. You take off one day and
      everything falls apart.

      "Logan left about midmorning and then Magneto took over. He was...
      interesting."

      "Erik? What did he do?"

      "Well, you know how we had that history exam?"

      "Yes," Marie drew out the word into a sentence.

      "You finished in about fifteen minutes, and spent the rest of the
      time criticizing Miss Munroe's questions and teaching a bare bones
      history of oppression and how we mutants must fight against the
      majority for our very survival."

      "No."

      "And then, in physics, you called the professor 'Charles' and told
      him that he was a fool for believing that humans would ever accept
      us. Oh, and then you took over the lesson."

      "What?"

      "Yeah, taught us all about magnetic fields with visual aids and
      everything. Thanks, by the way. All that magnetism wiped my English
      paper off my computer disk."

      "Sorry, Jubes. It wasn't me."

      "Yeah, well, that wasn't the worst. You left lunch early and were
      standing bare ass naked in front of the full length mirror when I got
      to the locker room for gym."

      "What?!?"

      "Yeah you kept staring at yourself until we started changing. Then,
      you just sat on a bench and watched while we changed. It was really
      creepy, Rogue. When you pulled out a camera, we called Dr. Grey."

      "David!" Marie yelled. "You little pervert!"

      She could feel David's presence retreating to his usual place in the
      outer realms of her mind as she fumed at him.

      "Dr. Grey and the professor both scanned you and said they couldn't
      feel you in there, so they called Logan."

      "What? Why'd they call Logan?"

      "We thought he'd be able to draw you out of whatever fugue state
      you'd fallen into," Jean answered, coming back into the conversation.

      "Oh no," Marie groaned.

      "You have to understand, Rogue. We thought there was something
      terribly wrong with you," Jean explained.

      "I was on vacation," Marie muttered.

      "What?" Jubilee and Jean asked simultaneously.

      "Vacation. Everything's happened to me so fast and with all these
      nightmares making it hard to sleep, I needed a break."

      "So you went on vacation," Jubilee repeated, "in your mind?"

      "Seemed like the perfect place at the time," Marie turned to
      Jean. "Can't you call Logan off?"

      "He's probably well on his way by now. You could talk to the
      professor..."

      "I'll do that," Rogue said, scooting off the medical bed and walking
      towards the door.

      "Rogue?" Jubilee said.

      "Yeah?"

      "Clothes."

      Marie looked down to find herself clothed in knee-length, open-at-the-
      back hospital gown. Looking up at Jubilee, she asked, "Bare ass
      naked?"

      "Yep."

      "Dammit, David. I am so gonna get you."

      If it was possible, David retreated further into her subconscious.

      Once she was dressed in dirty, grassed stained jeans and her
      oversized black T-shirt, she walked to the professor's office
      accompanied by Jubilee and Jean. It seemed like they were afraid to
      let her out of their sight.

      She didn't bother knocking, just opened to the door to the
      professor's office and said, "Professor, could you find Logan and
      tell him..."

      Her sentence trailed off as she saw the man sitting in one of the
      plush visitor's chairs.

      "Tell me what, kid?"

      "Logan. Wha... what are you doing here?"

      "Was in Toronto when I heard you were in trouble."

      "Not in trouble," Marie corrected. "Just taking a break."

      "A break?"

      "I... I just needed... well, a vacation, you know? From class and
      stuff."

      'Great, Marie,' she berated herself. 'Show off that amazing
      vocabulary.'

      "Well, I was thinking of taking a break, too," Logan answered.

      "You were?"

      "Yeah, was just talking with the professor about it. Why don't you
      and I take a break together?"

      "What? On the road?"

      "Nah, here. Just hang out, talk," he shrugged. "Relax."

      "That sounds really great, but," Marie looked up at the
      professor. "what about class? I thought you wanted..."

      "This is about what you need, Rogue, not what I want," he reassured
      her. "You can pursue a GED when you're ready. Plenty of students
      have done it before."

      "Yeah?" she asked with a smile. The first strain-free smile she'd
      had in months. "Yeah, I'd like that. Just a month or so to get
      settled. That'd be great."

      Then her smile faltered, "But, Logan, you don't have to stay
      here 'cause of me. I'll be fine."

      "Why d'ya think I was in Toronto, kid? Didn't find anything in
      Alberta. I was heading back here."

      "Really? Ok, yeah." Marie smiled again, ready for a real vacation.

      *****

      The End.