Fic: A Question of Trust - 1/1 [Scott, Rogue, L/R/S/J (Remy)]

  • victoria p.
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2001
      Title: A Question of Trust
      Author: Victoria P. [victoria_p@...]
      question of not letting what we've built up crumble to dust"
      Series: Fragments #2 - sequel to "The Devil You Know"
      Rating: PG
      fan-written fiction intends no infringement on any copyrights. "Question
      of Lust" belongs to Depeche Mode.
      Archive: Lists, Muse's Fool, otherwise, just let me know you're taking
      Feedback: Is savored like fine wine.
      Notes: Thanks to Dot, Meg, Jen, and Pete. And I guess, thanks to Depeche
      Mode. Saw 'em in concert Wednesday night, and woke up with this,
      yesterday morning.

      { } indicates POV

      A Question of Trust

      "It's a question of lust / it's a question of trust / it's a question of
      not letting what we've built up crumble to dust"

      He knew she wanted Logan. He lived every day with the fear that she'd
      act on it -- that desire that sparked between them. He used to try to be
      everything to her, but he learned, the hard way, that no one person can
      ever be everything.

      She was free to choose -- she always had been. Once, she'd chosen *him*
      and made him the happiest man on earth. Now, he watched as she
      struggled, weighing his familiar, comfortable love against the fierce
      and untamed desire Logan represented.

      He found himself watching the man, watching others' reactions to him,
      and wondering at the ones who seemed unmoved. He found himself wondering
      why Ororo could so easily brush Logan's advances aside, and yet Jean
      seemed unable to do so; even her dismissals contained a hint of

      He was startled the day he found himself wondering if Ororo would
      respond to *his* advances, and what the results might be like.

      He brushed those thoughts aside. He was happy with Jean, and if Jean
      chose someone else -- well, he wouldn't think about that either. He, who
      thought and planned and plotted out every course of action in his
      teaching and his work as an X-Man, was learning to go with the flow and
      not borrow trouble in his personal life.

      He often saw her watching Logan, weighing the possibilities in her mind.
      When she turned away from the window that day, he knew she'd made her
      decision and his heart sang. There would always be a hint of fear, but
      he knew he could trust her and love her. He had asked the question, and
      she had finally answered.

      He took her upstairs and made love to her repeatedly, until her mind and
      body could contain thoughts of no one but him.

      The devil she knows.

      She loved him. She didn't even try to hide it anymore. And she watched,
      heart in her eyes, as he and Jean circled each other in their mockery of
      a mating dance. She watched as Scott learned to let go and trust, and
      she hoped his trust was well-founded.

      She knew, in the depths of her soul, that Logan loved her. She'd seen it
      in his actions, in his thoughts. She also knew that he was terrified of
      being tied down or caged in any way. She accepted that. She wondered
      when he'd realize that her love would never constrain him -- that he'd
      be free to be himself, that everything he was, was dear to her because
      it was him, and she loved him.

      She resigned herself to waiting and watching, learning everything she
      could from him, slipping under his skin and waiting for the day he
      realized that, fears aside, some things are as inevitable as the sun
      rising in the east or the tides crashing to the shore.

      Remy pursued her, and she allowed herself to be caught. She trusted that
      when the time was right, everything she'd learned would come into play,
      and she would get her chance with Logan.

      In the meantime, she allowed herself to have fun with Remy, knowing he
      offered nothing more than a good time along the way to her final

      She watched, and that day, she knew Jean's decision had been made. She
      couldn't say exactly how she knew, but she saw the look on Scott's face
      as they walked down the hall to their room, and she *knew.* The only
      question left now was when Logan would know, as well.

      She sat at the window in her bedroom, watching Logan mow the lawn. When
      Remy found her, she said, "I think we need to talk."

      "The time has come?" he asked.

      "Not now, but soon."

      He smiled and pressed his gloved hand to his lips. "I trust your
      instincts," he replied. "Let the games begin."

      Logan would never know what hit him.

      "Screw the dead. What have their moldering asses ever done for me?" Mike
      Kellerman, _Homicide: Life on the Street_

      The Muse's Fool - http://www.unfitforsociety.net/musesfool
      Unfit for Society - http://www.unfitforsociety.net