Fic: The Devil You Know - 1/1 - Jean, Logan (L/R/S/J)

  • victoria p.
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 28, 2001
      Title: The Devil You Know
      Author: Victoria P. [victoria_p@...]
      Rating: PG-13 - some imagery
      Archive: Lists, Muse's Fool, otherwise, just let me know you're taking
      Feedback: Makes me do the Snoopy Dance
      Notes: Thanks to Dot, Meg, Jen, and Pete. And I guess, thanks to Depeche
      Mode. Saw 'em in concert last night, and woke up with this, this

      If anyone can find the attribution for the quote, I'd appreciate it. I
      thought it was originally Shakespeare, but I can't find it...

      { } indicates POV

      The Devil You Know

      "Better the devil you know than the devil you don't."

      When Logan came back, he made it clear that he wanted her. She stared
      out the window, stealing a few moments to watch him as he mowed the
      lawn, shirt off, muscles rippling.

      She closed her eyes and imagined him pressing her against the wall,
      wrapping her legs around his hips, taking her hard. She opened her eyes
      with a gasp, worried that she'd been projecting.

      She wondered what kept her tied safely to Scott. Love, yes. But also

      She and Scott were settled, comfortable. Logan offered wildness -- lust,
      sex, no commitment beyond the moment. Jean needed commitment. She needed
      stability after years of being driven crazy by the voices in her head.

      She was afraid that once they satisfied their desire for each other,
      there would be nothing left, and they would drift aimlessly apart.
      Better she stay with Scott, whom she loved, and fight the demons of
      complacency and familiarity. Better the devil you know, she thought,
      than the unknown dangers and eventual heartache of an affair with Logan.

      She turned away from the window as Scott entered the room. "Let's go
      upstairs," she said huskily, reaffirming her decision, her commitment to
      this man who held first place in her heart, if not always in her

      He wanted Jean. He'd never made a secret of it. When he came back, he
      hugged the kid and, ignoring the hurt in her eyes, made straight for the
      redheaded doctor.

      He didn't let up on his pursuit, couching it in the friendly flirtation
      he used on the other women at the mansion, but there was always a spark
      in his eye that told everyone this was no game to him.

      He spent more time with Rogue as the months passed, teaching her to
      defend herself, and, though he didn't know it, teaching her more about
      himself and the ways to his heart. Ways even he didn't know existed.

      He found himself at her side after her nightmares, drawn by the
      unbreakable bond between them. She was etched indelibly on his heart,
      and he fought with every animal instinct in him to break free from her
      hold on him.

      He was afraid. In the darker moments of his sleepless nights, he could
      admit that to himself. He had no past and, therefore, could conceive of
      no future. He could make no more promises to the girl with the ancient
      eyes, the girl who had possession of his very soul. He was afraid, and
      he decided that lust, a heated affair with no commitments, was better
      than this aching feeling he thought must be love.

      Better the devil you know, he thought, and so he chose to act on lust,
      and lock away the love he felt for Rogue. Better to hurt her this way,
      when she could still get over it and move on, than to begin something he
      was sure could only end badly.

      He watched as she turned more and more to that new kid, Remy, and swore
      that if the punk ever hurt her, he'd find himself face-to-claw with a
      very angry Wolverine. He'd made a decision, and, judging from her
      behavior with Remy, it was the right one. Now, if he could just figure
      out why he no longer enjoyed flirting with Jean. If he could just figure
      out why he had this pain in his chest that his healing factor apparently
      couldn't touch.

      "Screw the dead. What have their moldering asses ever done for me?" Mike
      Kellerman, _Homicide: Life on the Street_

      The Muse's Fool - http://www.unfitforsociety.net/musesfool
      Unfit for Society - http://www.unfitforsociety.net