[fic] Case X-1743: Unresolved (Notes) X-Men Film / X-Files cross; Mulder, Scully, Scott, Jean

  • Minisinoo Girl
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 5, 2001
      My Floof bunnies have been howling at me since CLIMB
      THE WIND, so Scott gets his happy ending, at last.

      This is a crossover I've wanted to write since I saw
      the X-Men movie. My apologies to OTL if crosses
      aren't done; the FAQ wasn't clear. It is X-Men, and
      it does take from Scott's comics background as well as
      the film. But since the FAQ didn't say, this initial
      note is all I'll post on OTL until/unless the
      listmommy says okay.

      As always, URL links are included for those who prefer
      pretty HTML and images. You all know how much I like
      illustrations. <g> The main short fiction page by
      which you can get to the whole story:
      http://www.geocities.com/minisinoo/shortfic.html

      This one is for Naomi, for all her hard work. Mulder
      and Cyke in one story.
      ----

      CASE X-1743: Unresolved
      Notes
      Minisinoo
      http://www.geocities.com/minisinoo/x1743_notes.html

      An X-Files / X-Men Movie Crossover

      SUMMARY: In 1996, Mulder and Scully investigated a
      case wherein a teenager reputedly pulverized the wall
      of his high school bathroom while at his senior prom,
      �with red beams that came out of his eyes.� There
      were multiple eye-witnesses. The boy subsequently
      went missing before he could be questioned. Case,
      unresolved. In the spring of 2005, Senate hearings
      convened in Washington, DC, for Senator Kelly�s Mutant
      Registration Act. Dr. Jean Grey testifies in
      opposition to Kelly on the senate floor. But it�s not
      the lovely doctor who gets Mulder�s attention . . . .

      WARNINGS: None. Safe as the movie was for younger
      readers, and a good deal less violent.

      CROSS-OVER DETAILS: YOU CAN read this story without
      extensive current knowledge of the X-Files or the
      X-Men, although if you don't know who Mulder and
      Scully are, or why they were in the basement of the
      Hoover building, bail now. Otherwise, all that you
      need to know is below, or contained within the story
      itself.

      X-FILES DETAILS: This is an old-fashioned X File. As
      such, it's not dependent on the larger series mytharc.
      But there are a few things that one can't avoid. If we
      assume that events in the X-Men film occur (as it
      says) "in the not too distant future," then I must
      extrapolate from the X-Files season (2001). My
      solution is not to guess too much. Seemed safest. But
      the following details are important:

      1) There are three people on the X-Files after 2001 -�
      but Mulder is no longer one of them. He was drummed
      out of the FBI in season 8. The current agents
      assigned to the X-Files are John Doggett, Monica
      Reyes, and Dana Scully (part time). Yet Reyes isn't in
      this tale, and Doggett only briefly. And yes, dammit,
      I LIKE Doggett. He gets only a small cameo in Part II
      because he doesn�t fit into the story. This is a
      Mulder-Scully X-File, though readers do need to know
      that by Part II, Mulder is no longer an FBI agent.

      2) Also, Scully had a baby at the end of season 8,
      which is apparently Mulder's, although that was never
      spelled out in so many words. I've assumed here that
      the two did marry at some point after 2001.
      Naturally, the dynamics of interpersonal relationships
      among the X-Files crowd will have altered somewhat in
      the four years between the events of the 2001 season,
      and the events in Part II of this story.

      X-MEN DETAILS: Anyone who's seen the film should be
      able to follow this, but a few points for clarity:

      1) Events here are prior to or consanguineous with the
      early scenes of the movie. That means Rogue and Logan
      have not yet arrived at the mansion and do not appear
      in this story. As in my "Five Pounds," I follow COMIC
      canon, which makes Cyclops an orphan. The basic tale
      of Scott's foster parents is a MUCH modified version
      of the comic short "Little Boy Lost" (with thanks to
      Pugui for putting it on the Red Shades archive). As
      comic fans know, Scott spent years at an orphanage in
      Omaha, Nebraska.

      2) Despite this Scott-as-orphan take, I do follow the
      movie novelization in which Scott's power manifested
      at his senior prom. The scene in the screenplay used
      for the novel was not filmed, but everything you need
      to know about it is related in the story. (Yes, I let
      Selena grow up in "Goddess of the Moon," but this is
      Selena as she was at seventeen.) And Cyke's eyes are
      blue in movieverse because Marsden's are. Sorry. ;>

      3) The snippet of initial dialogue at the beginning of
      Part II is taken directly from the beginning of X-Men:
      The Movie. Images come from a variety of sources,
      please see my Links page.

      A LAST NOTE: fosterage is easy to demonize. But there
      are good foster parents, as well as bad ones. And not
      all foster kids are trouble. This story is dedicated
      to the foster parents who do it for all the right
      reasons.

      DISCLAIMER: The X-Files belongs to Fox and Chris
      Carter, Mulder to David Duchovny and Scully to Gillian
      Anderson. The X-Men belongs to Marvel and Fox, James
      Marsden has made Cyclops his own, Famke Janssen played
      Jean Grey, and the amazing Patrick Stewart has brought
      to life Professor X.

      PART I to follow, posted in two sections for reasons
      of length (1a/2, 1b/2).

      PART II will be posted in a few days.

      FEEBACK is *always* welcome. :-)

      a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/