Fic: The Envious Moon - 1/1 - {Rogue}

  • victoria p.
    Message 1 of 1 , May 26, 2001
      Title: The Envious Moon
      Author: Victoria P. [victoria_p@...]
      full. But my time is coming."
      Rating: G
      Archive: Lists, my site, anyone else who I've said yes to. Otherwise,
      just drop me a line. I'm easy.
      Feedback: Makes me do the Dance of Joy [call me Numfar <g>].
      Notes: Thanks to Dot, Meg, Jen, and Pete, especially Jen & Meg for the
      quick turnaround. This is what happens when you're jacked up on smack -
      er - caffeine, and you know you have to be up early, but you can't
      sleep. So you starting thinking Logan and Shakespeare works his way in,
      and then your mind, used to making strange connections, comes up with
      U2, and thus a fic is born...

      The Envious Moon

      She's like the sun -- rich, fiery, beautiful. Red, gold and green,
      bringing light and warmth wherever she goes. The whole world orbits
      around her.

      Scott and Logan circle, always in her wake. Scott glowers and Logan
      smirks as she plays them off against each other, always in control,
      aware of how far she can push before the delicate balance they've set up
      comes tumbling down.

      I hover, the shadow, the dark reflection of her glory. I watch, but am
      rarely seen. I am beneath her notice now -- my problematic stage both
      past and yet to come. Only Logan knows when I've been and gone, watching
      their charade -- my scent gives me away, and I no longer try to hide it.

      Scott and Logan circle me, as well, though for different reasons. They
      think of themselves as my brothers, my keepers, my protectors; each
      guarding me against the other's insidious influence. Guarding me against
      my rightful place in their ménage -- the hidden corner that squares
      their triangle.

      She owns the days -- a queen of light -- but the night is my time. I
      draw them to me like the tide. Logan knows now. I can see it in his eyes
      when he comes to comfort me after one of our shared nightmares. When
      night falls, he knows his place is at my side. He growls when Scott
      arrives at my door to make sure I'm all right.

      I've learned to take sleep when I can get it. The early morning and the
      late afternoon hours are best -- the nightmares less frequent while the
      sun warms the earth.

      I spend my nights studying, learning, growing. I wax and wane, whereas
      her mood is constant -- a given.

      I lurk at the edge of their awareness, not yet glimpsed in full. But my
      time is coming.

      She can keep Scott, her handsome consort. Powered by the sun, he would
      wither under my cold light, and I would hate to see his fire die.

      But Logan is mine, to the depth of his being and the marrow of his metal
      bones. He is the wolf that howls in the dark, worshiping at my glory.
      Though I shine only through reflection, I exert my pull on him, and when
      my hour is at hand, he'll come to me, as the tide comes to the shore.
      Inevitably.

      I shall eclipse her in his life, and the envious moon shall rise and not
      be dimmed.

      End

      ~~*~~
      "Arise fair sun, and kill the envious moon." _Romeo & Juliet_, William
      Shakespeare
      "You know the sun is sometimes eclipsed by the moon; you know I don't
      see you when she walks in the room" - "The Fly" - U2
      ~~*~~

      victoria

      --

      "There's nothing I won't do, but some things are gonna cost you extra."
      Mike Kellerman, _Homicide: Life on the Street_

      --

      The Muse's Fool - http://www.unfitforsociety.net/musesfool
      Unfit for Society - http://www.unfitforsociety.net