Fic: A Harbor in the Tempest: Act V: 1/7 - R - {L/R, R/B}

  • victoria p.
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 27, 2001
      So now, the end is near, and we face the final curtain...

      This hasn't been thoroughly beta'd but what the hell...

      Title: A Harbor in the Tempest
      Author: Victoria P. [victoria_p@...]
      persecuting mutants. The X-Men are scattered. Somehow, they manage to
      find each other again, in a little dive bar in a little town south of
      the border.
      Rating: R - language, violence, sex
      Warning: Character death. I didn't want to do it, butÂ…
      fan-written fiction intends no infringement on any copyrights. The song
      "All I Want Is You" belongs to U2. "We Will Rock You" belongs to Queen.
      "We Shall Overcome" belongs to someone, but no one is quite sure who. It
      ain't me, though. I know that. See other disclaimers at the end.
      Archive: If you've already got my stuff, yes. If not, please just let me
      know you're taking it.
      Feedback: Please don't make me beg. It's so demeaning. <g>
      Notes: Thanks to Dot, Meg, Jen, and Pete. If anyone's got a better
      title, let me know - this thing's had three or four already.
      Dedication: JenN - this was your challenge. I hope you like what I've
      done.

      < > indicates thoughts

      ***

      A Harbor in the Tempest

      ***

      Act V

      1.
      Bobby turned the light on as they entered the hotel room. Rogue began
      undressing as he walked to the window and peered out into the darkness.
      Across the street, he could see a man standing under an arch. Bobby
      watched him for a few seconds, then drew the blinds.

      "We've still got our shadow."

      "Bobby, please, don't go to that meeting tonight," Rogue pleaded.

      "I have to," he replied soberly. "Besides, it isn't often I get to be
      heroic in front of you, Rogue." He gave her the boyish smile that so
      endeared him to her.

      "Don't joke. After Hodge's warning, I'm scared."

      "Tell you the truth, babe, I'm frightened too. Should I stay here in the
      hotel room, hiding, or should I carry on the best that I can?" he
      challenged. "What would Scott or the Professor want me to do?"

      She sighed and sat down on the bed. "You'll do what you want no matter
      what I say, Bobby. You always do." She fiddled with her gloves. "Why
      don't you tell me what happened with Logan?"

      "Apparently, he has the letters."

      "And?"

      "He has no intention of selling them, at least not to me. You'd think
      that if he wouldn't do it for money, he'd at least do it for sentimental
      reasons."

      Rogue shifted uneasily. "Did he tell you why?"

      Bobby arched an eyebrow. "He said I should ask you."

      "Ask me?" She cursed the way her voice squeaked when she said it.

      "Yeah. He said, 'Ask your wife.' I don't know why he said that. I didn't
      even know you'd told him we were married." He turned the light off and
      sat next to her on the bed. She kept her eyes down.

      The silence stretched uncomfortably.

      "Rogue, I --"

      "Yeah?"

      "When I was in the camp, were you lonely?"

      Rogue couldn't look at him. She swallowed hard, trying to make her voice
      work. "Yes, Bobby, I was." She was wringing her hands miserably.

      "I know what it's like to be lonely," he said sympathetically, putting a
      hand over hers, stilling their motion. She closed her eyes. They had
      never spoken of their time apart. It was possible that he'd sought
      solace in the arms of someone else as well, she thought. She hoped he
      had. Being alone was terrible enough when you were free. Being alone and
      being imprisoned had to be a thousand times worse.

      Finally, very softly he asked, "Is there anything you want to tell me?"

      She matched his tone. "No, Bobby." Her hair hid her face.

      "I love you very much, you know."

      "Yes, Bobby, I know." She stood abruptly. "Bobby, whatever I do, will
      you believe that I -- that--"

      "You don't even have to say it. I'll believe you." He rose and brushed a
      hand fleetingly across her cheek and lips; the light frost he left
      behind allowed him to kiss her without being hurt. "Good night, Rogue."

      "Good night, Bobby."

      He walked to the door and she closed her eyes, not want to watch him
      leave. The door opened and the dim light from the yellow bulb in the
      hall fell across her face, leaving her half in shadow. "Be careful," she
      whispered.

      "Of course," he replied. "I always am." He brushed another kiss over her
      cheek before disappearing into the darkness of the hall.

      She waited a few moments, then went to the window. Parting the blinds,
      she saw him walking down the street, followed by the man who'd been
      waiting under the arch.

      Making sure Bobby was out of sight, she got dressed quickly and headed
      out into the night.

      ***

      victoria

      --

      "Okay, two words I don't like right off the bat, "tomb" and "unearthed".
      People, you gotta leave your tombs earthed." Cordelia Chase, _Angel_

      --

      The Muse's Fool - http://musesfool.freehosting.net