fic: CLIMB THE WIND, adventure & character (Logan, Scott)

  • Minisinoo Girl
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2001
      New novella: CLIMB THE WIND
      Minisinoo

      descent of the hero, and his redemption.

      Genre: Take your pick ... action adventure 'exploding
      buildings' *and* character exploration, both. Logan
      and Scott POV. Some would call this high angst. I
      say it's about combat trauma, grief, and POW
      situations. (I think that goes a little beyond
      'angst.' <g>)

      Warning: This is dark, though I wouldn�t call it, in
      the end, a tragedy. Nonetheless, I strongly recommend
      reader discretion. There's a character death, but it
      occurs at the outset so you don�t have to wonder when
      it�s coming. There's also a lot of plain, brutal
      nastiness: the horrible things that people can do to
      each other. The inspiration for this story is � very
      loosely � the Iliad. Hey, if you�re going to cop a
      theme, you may as well cop Homer.

      Notes: In highly traumatic combat situations, the
      ties between men exceed the term �friendship� by
      modern usage. I direct readers to Jonathan Shay�s
      splendid ACHILLES IN VIETNAM: COMBAT TRAUMA AND THE
      UNDOING OF CHARACTER. He says, "Modern American
      English makes soldiers' love for special comrades into
      a problem, because the word love evokes sexual and
      romantic associations. But friendship seems too bland
      for the passion of care that arises between soldiers
      in combat" (40). This is a love story. It is not a
      sex story.

      Disclaimer and Archiving: Marvel owns them; I just
      put them through hell. Scott & Logan and Red Shades
      have permission to take this one. Otherwise, due to
      the dark nature of the tale, I�d ask that if you want
      to archive it, especially on personal pages, please
      let me know. I just want to keep track of where it�s
      going � and please be certain that the warning remains
      attached.

      Normally, I don't post partial pieces, but in this
      case, I will because I want feedback, and though it's
      long, it's not a full-scale novel, just 30,000-35,000
      words. (For the curious, a novel is 60,000+.) So it
      won't be weeks or months between chapters. I've put
      up chapters 1 and 2, and you can reach them here:
      http://www.geocities.com/minisinoo/climbthewind.html

      Pretty illustrations, and pretty html formatting. I
      recommend that medium. I did some funky imagine
      manipulation.

      I WILL post them to the lists, too, but the chapters
      are so long, I'll have to cut them in half (1a and 1b,
      2a and 2b).

      And hey, tell me you're reading it if you want me to
      finish. <evil grin>

      Mitakuye oyasin,
      --Min

      http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/