Fic: Interview #4 - 1/1 [L/R]

  • victoria p.
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2001
      Title: Interview #4
      Author: Victoria P. [victoria_p@...]
      Series: Crossing Canada
      Rating: PG-13 for language, violence
      fan-written fiction intends no infringement on any copyrights. "Look At
      Little Sister" belongs to H. Ballard and the late great SRV.
      Archive: Quick note - I caught some errors in earlier parts, so if you want
      this story, please email me, and I'll send you the correct version. Thanks.
      Feedback: Would give me sweet dreams...
      Notes: Thanks to Dot, Meg, Jen, and Pete. I suck at fight scenes, just so's
      ya know. Also, this part was inspired by Sare's "Little Sister."

      { } indicates song lyrics

      Interview #4

      Rogue arrived in Faust three days later. She hadn't planned on staying in
      Slave Lake so long, but there'd been a bad ice storm, and she couldn't ride
      the bike in that kind of weather. She was cursing her decision to sacrifice
      speed for caution as she sat in the motel and waited for Mother Nature to
      cooperate. It wasn't the first time she'd ever wished for Storm's power. She
      hoped Logan was stuck wherever he was, too, and that it was close by.

      Following her usual routine, she scoped out the town and targeted the likely
      Logan hot spots -- a bar called the Pig and Whistle looked promising, though
      it didn't host cage fighting.

      That night she slapped the picture down on the bar and got no response from
      the barkeeper. He said maybe Tex, the guy who worked weekends would know,
      and was she going to stick around?

      She had a couple of drinks and then headed over to the other likely bar in
      town, Roger's. Again, her questions turned up nothing. She didn't even know
      why she'd come here; Margie had given her directions and told her where to
      go. But on the road she'd worried. What if Margie had been Mystique? She'd
      known Logan for six years, had him in her head, and she knew nothing about a

      So, she decided to continue on as if she hadn't gotten the information about
      the cabin. Roger's had a cage and where there was a cage, there was sure to
      be word of the Wolverine, sooner or later.

      The next night was a Friday, so she went back around eight to the Pig and
      Whistle to see Tex.

      "He's not on until eleven," the bartender told her, so she settled in with a
      cheeseburger and a beer.

      An hour later, a group of young guys came in and started pumping money into
      the jukebox. Two hours later, Rogue had joined them for shots of Wild Turkey
      at the bar, her mission forgotten as she had let loose and had fun for the
      first time since she'd left New York.

      "Where you been?" one of them asked, and she detailed her travels.

      "New York, Niagara, Halifax, Ottawa, Winnipeg, Regina, Saskatoon, Edmonton.
      I've seen more of this damned country than any of you boys," she said, "and
      I ain't done yet."

      The sound of Stevie Ray Vaughan singing "Look At Little Sister" blared from
      the speakers, and Rogue shouted, "I love this song!"

      "Up on the bar, baby," one of the guys said, taking the opportunity to grab
      her ass as he helped boost her up.

      {Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey mama, look at little sis / Out in the backyard,
      playin' like this / Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, look at little sister /
      Hey, hey, hey, hey, look at little sister}

      Rogue was on the bar, shaking her groove thang. She never noticed the man
      who walked in the door.

      He paused, head cocked as if he were testing the air for a scent. Then he
      shook his head and made his way to the bar.

      {What about the neighbors, what they gonna say / Stop little sister, gettin'
      carried away / Hey, hey, hey, look at little sister / Hey, hey, hey, hey,
      look at little sister}

      Rogue shimmied and tossed her hair around, still not used to the lack of

      The man was speaking quietly with the bartender.

      "That's her," the bartender said, jerking his head in Rogue's direction.
      "She's been asking for you all over town. All over the country, from what
      Margie told me."

      {Shakin' like a tree, rollin' like a log / Shakin' and a rollin' now, that
      ain't all / Hey, hey, hey, look at little sister / Hey, hey, hey, hey, look
      at little sister}

      She was rolling her hips and doing a passable imitation of the strippers
      she'd seen in the numerous places she'd visited on her trek when, all of a
      sudden, strong hands grabbed her and pulled her down off the bar.

      The guys she was with took one look at Logan's angry face and turned back to
      their beers. Everyone in the place knew who he was and what he could do to
      someone who crossed him, even if they didn't know about the claws.

      Rogue struggled for a moment or two, then realized who had hold of her. She
      relaxed and started giggling at the irony of being pulled down off the bar
      and slung over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes.

      As he walked, he said, "Halloween's over, kid. What the hell did you do to
      your hair? It smells terrible."

      "Logan, where we goin'?" she asked as they entered the back room of the bar.
      The men at the pool table cleared out quickly at Logan's growl.

      He put her down on her feet. His voice was harsh when he asked, "What the
      fuck is goin' on, Marie?"

      "I, I--" Now that she was finally face to face with him, she had no idea
      what to do or say. The amount of alcohol in her system wasn't helping. She
      flung herself at him and gave him a fierce hug. "I missed you so much," she
      said, squeezing him tightly and rubbing her face against his chest. She
      couldn't see it, but his expression softened and something akin to
      wistfulness overtook his features for a moment. "Why'd you leave like that?
      And why didn't you call? I've been so worried." She let go, took a step
      back, and began pacing.

      "You've been worried about me?" His voice dripped with sarcasm. "I woulda
      thought you'd have more important stuff to worry about, what with the
      wedding and all."

      Her brow furrowed in puzzlement. "Yeah, there was a lot of stuff goin' on,

      She never got a chance to finish the sentence.

      Logan's head snapped up, nostrils flared. "Sabretooth," he growled.

      The big blond mutant launched himself into the room, knocking both Rogue and
      Logan over.

      Logan recovered first and, claws extended, he closed with the other man.

      Rogue grabbed a pool cue and looked for an opportunity to whack Sabretooth.

      "Marie, get out of here," Logan yelled, his eyes never leaving his opponent.
      He slashed and Sabretooth parried and the two were locked in a deadly dance.
      Rogue froze, uncertain of what to do and not wanting to distract Logan.

      She felt rather than saw Mystique and, turning with all the skill she'd been
      taught, she hit the blue woman with the pool cue, breaking it across her
      collarbone. Mystique grabbed what was left of the stick and shoved it back
      at Rogue, hard. She let go and tumbled backwards as she'd been taught,
      coming to her feet quickly and following up immediately with a punch to
      Mystique's stomach and the sweeping kick she liked to use. Mystique didn't
      go down. She spun and launched a roundhouse kick of her own, catching Rogue
      in the shoulder. She stumbled, but kept her balance, grabbing Mystique's
      foot and shoving hard.

      Sabretooth picked Logan up and body-slammed him into the pool table. Logan
      flung the eight ball at Sabretooth, hitting him right between the eyes. The
      nine and the three balls followed, as Logan rolled and returned to his feet.

      Sabretooth roared and charged. Logan crouched low, jabbed his claws into the
      other man's stomach and jerked up, ripping three long gashes in his trunk.
      Sabretooth went down, and Logan stabbed him again for good measure.

      Mystique, seeing that Logan was going to be coming for her next, whirled and
      ran, morphing into an ordinary man as she went.

      Trevor, the owner of the bar and the man with whom Logan had huddled
      earlier, stood in the doorway with a shotgun. "I'll clean up," he said,
      priming the weapon and getting ready to put another hole in Sabretooth.

      Logan grinned ferally. "Thanks, Trev. I owe ya one." He grabbed Rogue's arm.
      "C'mon kid. Let's blow this joint." He dragged her out, barely stopping to
      pick up her coat from the college boys with whom she'd been drinking. No one
      looked twice at them as the headed out into the night.

      “That’s one more kid who’ll never get to go to school / Never get to fall in
      love / Never get to be cool” – “Rockin’ in the Free World” – Neil Young

      The Muse's Fool - http://victoria_jp.tripod.com/home.htm