Fic: Interlude: The Wily Moose - 1/1 [L/R]

  • victoria p.
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2001
      Title: Interlude: The Wily Moose
      Author: Victoria P. [victoria_p@...]
      Series: Crossing Canada
      Rating: PG-13 for language
      Archive: If you've already got my stuff, yes. If not, please just let me
      know you're taking it.
      Feedback: Is adored.
      Notes: Thanks to Dot, Meg, Jen, and Pete. Sort of ABC, for a bit anyway. And
      this was written in the middle of the night and betaed quickly, so any
      mistakes are all my fault.

      ***

      Interlude: The Wily Moose

      Rogue walked into the bar, congratulating herself on finding someone who was
      actually friendly to Logan. She didn't think many people were. Too many
      people wanted too many things from him, and he'd been hardened not only by
      being used, but by the things people had used him for. Unlike the X-geeks,
      as he affectionately called them -- not that he ever let them know he
      cared -- who seemed content to let him come and go in peace, asking little
      and in return giving him a home.

      "Very nice," someone called out as she sat down at the bar.

      "Wild Turkey," she said, ignoring the whistles and catcalls her entrance had
      set off and turning her attention to the cage.

      "Xerxes is fighting tonight," the bartender said, putting a glass of bourbon
      in front of her. "You looking to bet?"

      Amused that someone actually called himself "Xerxes," Rogue shook her head.
      "Betting closes in five minutes," he said. "Call me if you change your
      mind."

      Downing the bourbon, Rogue waited for the fight to begin.

      Everything got quiet when the emcee stepped into the cage. "Friends, tonight
      we've got a good one for you. George Crenshaw -- yes, ladies and gentlemen,
      our very own George Crenshaw -- is going to be fighting Xerxes the
      Dominator, who's joining us all the way from Mexico." He was short, but
      heavily muscled, and he taunted the crowd in Spanish.

      "I think I know you." Jumping at the voice in her ear, Rogue spun quickly.
      "Kevin," the man said, calling over someone else, "haven't we seen her
      somewhere before?"

      "Like the news?" a new voice chimed in.

      "Maybe, Rick," the first man said.

      "No, I don't think so," Rogue replied, hiding her nervousness.

      "Oh," the new voice said, "she's the one from the riot in Edmonton. Put
      three guys in the hospital."

      Quietly, hoping to keep things under control, Rogue said, "I don't know what
      you're talking about. Please leave me alone. I'd just like to watch the
      fights."

      Kevin didn't look convinced. "Little lady, why don't you come with me down
      to the police station? I'm sure they'd be happy to see you. I bet there's
      even a reward." He grabbed her arm and she slammed him into the bar, much as
      she'd done to Ned at Miss Kitty's.

      "Leave me the fuck alone," she growled.

      "Look, freak, this is our bar, and our town, and we don't like your kind
      here," the third voice said, and Rogue finally got a look at her real
      tormentor. Big, burly, with blonde hair and a mustache, his eyes flashed
      yellow and she gasped.

      "Mystique."

      It was all she had time to say as Kevin took advantage of her inattention to
      punch her in the stomach. She doubled over, more to give herself time to
      think than in pain. Sweeping a leg out, she brought Rick down easily and
      leaned over the bar to grab a bottle she could break and use as a weapon.

      The crowd turned from the fight in the cage to the one at the bar.

      All hell broke loose then, as people took the opportunity to take old
      grudges out on each other.

      Rogue looked frantically for Mystique, but she could be anyone, and she had
      her hands full at the moment, fending off Kevin and Rick and trying not to
      get hit in the face -- the only part of her skin that was exposed.

      Finally, sirens could be heard in the distance, and Rogue was able to slip
      out before anyone noticed she had gone.

      Thanking her lucky stars she was already packed, and mourning the loss of
      her second night's rental at the motel, she took off on her bike.

      ***

      victoria

      --

      “That’s one more kid who’ll never get to go to school / Never get to fall in
      love / Never get to be cool” – “Rockin’ in the Free World” – Neil Young

      --

      The Muse's Fool - http://victoria_jp.tripod.com/home.htm