Fic: Interview #2 - 1/1 - L/R

  • victoria p.
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2001
      Title: Interview #2
      Author: Victoria P. [victoria_p@...]
      Series: Crossing Canada
      Rating: PG-13 for language
      Archive: If you've already got my stuff, yes. If not, please just let me
      know you're taking it.
      Feedback: Hey, it's Ash Wednesday. I'm fasting and abstaining. Feed me
      something.
      Notes: Thanks to Dot, Meg, Jen, and Pete. I've stolen from more people than
      I can count with this story, and I apologize profusely. At least I'm
      stealing from the best. To say more would be to spoil.

      // // indicates flashbacks

      ***

      Interview #2

      Rogue didn't bother with Kirsten when she went scoping for information the
      next day. She was sure the woman had nothing useful to say, anyway.

      The town had two strip clubs and one fight bar. Usually those were the best
      places to get information about where Logan was headed. Very cautiously,
      hoping her reputation hadn't preceded her, Rogue chose to start with the
      fight bar. When she walked in the door, all eyes turned her way.

      "You sure you're in the right place?" the bartender asked as she sat down at
      the bar and removed the leather coat she wore.

      "Zeke around?" she said, not answering the question.

      "Depends. Who's asking?"

      "I'm a friend of the Wolverine," she replied. "I'm trying to find him."

      The bartender laughed. "Honey, every woman is a friend of Wolverine's. What
      makes you think you're any different?" Wordlessly, Rogue pulled out the dog
      tags she still wore snug against her bosom. His manner changed immediately.
      "I'm Zeke."

      "I'll have a bourbon, neat," she said. "He was here recently?"

      Zeke poured the amber liquid into a glass and nodded. "Couple of weeks ago.
      Looked like hell. Even more pissed off than usual. No one lasted more than
      thirty seconds against him."

      Rogue knocked back the shot and enjoyed the warmth spreading in her chest.
      "He say where he was headed?"

      Zeke shrugged. "He don't talk much. He works the circuit usually, so Chisolm
      would be next."

      "Chisolm?"

      "North and west of here. Two bars in town hold fights. The Wily Moose and
      Red's."

      "The Wily Moose?" she asked, raising an eyebrow.

      Zeke chuckled. "Dan Moore, the owner -- he's got a weird sense of humor.
      Best line up of fighters this side of Regina, though."

      She laid some money down on the bar and said, "Thanks, Zeke. I really
      appreciate your help."

      "Well, put in a good word for me, will ya? I don't wanna get skinned because
      I gave up information I wasn't supposed to."

      Rogue pulled her coat back on, getting ready to leave. "Don't worry, sugar.
      He'll be real happy to see me," she said with more confidence than she felt.
      He hadn't even stopped to say hello, let alone goodbye.

      She and Jubilee had been sitting on the couch discussing the wedding.

      // "I can't believe I'm walking down the aisle with Remy. It's so surreal,"
      Rogue said.

      "You got lucky," Jubilee said wryly, slightly envious that her boyfriend was
      ushering Rogue instead of herself at the wedding.

      "Maybe," Rogue said with a toss of her head. "He's gonna look fab in the
      tux, though."

      "And you in that gown -- I think I'm jealous. I've never seen anyone look
      like they stepped out of a fairy tale until I saw you in that gown, Roguey.
      I don't know how you do it."

      It was then they'd heard Jean's voice. "But you just got here. Aren't you
      going to stay for the wedding? I know Rogue would love to have you here."

      "You couldn't pay me to stay, Jeannie. Tell Scooter I'm taking his bike."

      And he was gone before she was even able to get off the couch. //

      Her cell phone rang, startling her out of the reverie. "What is it now,
      Bobby?"

      "How'd you know it was me?"

      "You're the only one who calls me, sugar. What's up?" She leaned against the
      side of the building, trying to shield herself from the wind.

      "You made the news in Edmonton, Rogue. The Prof is worried."

      "Well, what was I supposed to do? Those guys attacked me. I was just minding
      my own business and --"

      "You were poking your nose into Logan's business, Rogue. How do you know
      they weren't looking for him, too? What if you hadn't been able to get away?
      What if they used you to get to him?"

      "They couldn't use me, Bobby, because I don't know where he is. Anyway, I
      got away. And put three of 'em in the hospital." She said it with a hint of
      pride. Six years of training had paid off. She was the best brawler of the
      younger X-Men, thanks to Logan.

      Bobby sighed. "Give me one reason I shouldn't take the Blackbird and come
      and get you right now?"

      "Because you're a lousy pilot, sugar, and you'd never survive the trip."

      "Rogue!"

      "Okay. You're still better than Jubes," she teased. Her tone hardened as she
      said, "I'm not coming home until I find him, Bobby. I'm serious."

      He sighed again, this time in resignation. They had the same conversation
      almost daily, it seemed. "Call if you need me."

      "I will. Take care of Kitty and the baby, all right?"

      "Be careful."

      "Always."

      She folded the phone and put it back in her pocket. Bobby was a dear, but
      such a worrier. He couldn't understand that she *had* to know why Logan had
      run, and why he hadn't bothered to stay in touch.

      ***

      victoria

      --

      “That’s one more kid who’ll never get to go to school / Never get to fall in
      love / Never get to be cool” – “Rockin’ in the Free World” – Neil Young

      --

      The Muse's Fool - http://victoria_jp.tripod.com/home.htm