Fic: Interlude: Clyde to Athabasca [1/1] - L/R-ish

  • victoria p.
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2001
      Title: Interlude: Clyde to Athabasca
      Author: Victoria P. [victoria_p@...]
      Series: Crossing Canada
      Rating: PG-13 for language
      Archive: If you've already got my stuff, yes. If not, please just let me
      know you're taking it.
      Feedback: Better than chocolate.
      Notes: Thanks to Dot, Meg, Jen, and Pete. I apologize in advance to anyone
      who resides in any of these places. I've never been to Alberta [hell, I've
      never been to Canada at all], I just picked some names off a map. ABC again,
      except where I got tired. Hey, it was 3 am.

      < > indicates thoughts

      ***

      Interlude: Clyde to Athabasca

      She stood leaning against the motorcycle she'd ridden all the way from
      Westchester to this godforsaken part of Canada. The sky was iron-gray, and
      it looked like it was about to snow. Under other circumstances, she might
      have enjoyed that, but having worn out her welcome in Clyde, she had a long
      night's ride ahead of her to the next town. Vaulting onto the bike, she tore
      out of town. "When I get my hands on you, Logan, it ain't gonna be pretty,"
      she muttered. Xavier wasn't too happy with him, either. "You better have a
      good reason for doing this," she shouted over the roar of the bike.

      Zoning out as she drove through the night, Rogue once again wondered why
      Logan had left without saying goodbye. <A freakin' note,> she thought, <is
      that too much to ask?> Apparently, it was. Because he hadn't left one before
      leaving, nor had he written or called since he'd been gone. Chalking it up
      to his usual lack of regard for other people's feelings, no one else at the
      mansion had been alarmed.

      "Dammit," she muttered, her attention caught by the fact that the gas gauge
      was nearing E. Everything had gone wrong since she'd left Edmonton.

      Finally, she reached Athabasca. Grabbing her knapsack, she trudged wearily
      into the lobby of the Hearthside Motor Inn. "Have you seen this man?" she
      asked the night clerk who checked her in, laying the picture down on the
      reception desk. "I need to find him," she said as she smoothed the creases
      worn into the paper from folding and unfolding it as often as she had. Jean
      had drawn it for her once they realized they had no pictures of him; once
      they realized they weren't going to be able to convince her not to go after
      him.

      "Kirsten, you remember this guy?" the clerk called out to someone in the
      back.

      "Logan something-or-other," Kirsten said when she saw the picture. "Man, he
      was something else in bed. Never tired out. Only stayed a couple of nights,
      but damn, did we have fun." Perhaps the look on Rogue's face warned her, or
      the clenching of her fists, but Kirsten shut up all of a sudden.

      Quietly, with as much dignity as she could muster in the face of yet
      *another* of Logan's conquests on this trip, she said, "Thanks." Right then,
      all she wanted was a hot shower and a bed.

      She showered and pulled on her pajamas and lay in bed, thinking.

      Over and over, she wondered why he'd left. She'd been so excited that he'd
      come home early -- surprising all of them, and yet, by the time she'd gone
      out to the foyer to greet him, he was back on his bike and tearing down the
      driveway.

      Jean was the only one who'd seen him. It hurt Rogue to think it, but she
      wondered if the fact that Jean and Scott had finally set a wedding date was
      what drove him away.

      ***

      victoria

      --

      “That’s one more kid who’ll never get to go to school / Never get to fall in
      love / Never get to be cool” – “Rockin’ in the Free World” – Neil Young

      --

      The Muse's Fool - http://victoria_jp.tripod.com/home.htm