FIC: The Music Lesson 1/1 [Logan, Rogue]

  • victoria p.
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2001
      Title: The Music Lesson
      Author: Victoria P. [victoria_p@...]
      Rating: G
      Archive: If you've already got my stuff, yes. If not, please just let me
      know you're taking it.
      Feedback: Always welcome and more appreciated than you know.
      Notes: Thanks to Jen and Pete for the quick turnaround. And to Meg and Dot
      for everything. And thanks to Mr. Lavaglia - my piano teacher for 5 years. I
      sucked at piano, but it wasn't his fault. <g>

      The Music Lesson

      He heard it every day, but he'd never paid attention to it before. The soft
      sound of music spilling from the room at the end of the hall. Finally
      succumbing to his curiosity, he followed the music to its source. Stopping
      quietly in the doorway, he saw Marie sitting at the piano, face radiant in
      the sunlight, her ungloved hands dancing along the keys.

      He hadn't seen her smile like that in a long time. Maybe never. He knew
      that, even though she was loved and protected here at Xavier's, she still
      missed out on so much. She never let on that she was at all unhappy, but he
      had only to look at her now to see that her smiles around others were a pale
      shadow of the joy she felt at that piano.

      He let the music wash over him. It was something vaguely familiar -- Brahms,
      maybe, or Bach. <One of the "B" guys,> he thought.

      He listened until she was done, and then slipped away, a plan beginning to
      take shape in his mind.

      A few days later, he was ready to take the plunge. Once again following the
      music, he walked into the room and sat, waiting for her to notice his

      She finished the piece she was playing and he applauded, startling her.

      "Logan! I swear, you just about gave me a heart attack," she said, hand over
      her heart, grin on her face.

      "Sorry, kid. Just enjoying the music."

      "Thanks. That was Beethoven. 'Moonlight Sonata.' My momma's favorite."

      He rose and walked over to the piano. She shifted away, fully aware of her
      bare hands, even if he wasn't. Playing his fingers idly across the keys, he
      said, "You think you could teach me to play?"

      Her eyebrows rose in surprise. "I, I don't know. I never gave lessons, only
      took them. And why would you want to learn to play the piano, anyway? Might
      ruin your reputation as the big, bad Wolverine."

      He shrugged, thinking and rejecting each of the answers that came to mind,
      most of them variations on how he wanted to be with her when she smiled like
      that, wanted to make her smile like that at him someday. He wanted to be
      able to do something with her where she didn't have to wear gloves all the
      time. He went with, "Watched 'Amadeus' the other night. Thought it was

      She raised a single eyebrow and he could tell she didn't believe him, but
      that didn't bother him. "Okay," she said, "sit down here next to me." And
      she pulled her gloves on.

      "No, no," he said quickly. That wasn't what he wanted. "Leave them off."

      "But --"

      "Leave them off, Marie," he growled. That was that. He sat down and pulled
      out his own gloves, soft leather worn by years of use. "Show me."

      "You can't play in gloves," she started. "Just let me--"

      He cut her off again. "Show me," he demanded.

      She touched a white key. "This is middle C." She splayed her fingers over
      the keys. "This is how your hands should be. Fingers arched, not flat.
      Wrists relaxed."

      Again, "Show me." And he laid his hands flat on the keyboard.

      She looked askance at him, then licked her lips and sighed. She placed her
      bare hands over his, positioning his fingers correctly. If she lingered
      longer than necessary, or absently rubbed the spaces between his knuckles,
      well, he wasn't going to complain. "Like that."

      "Like this?" he asked, curling his hands into imitation claws.

      "Logan, stop being silly," she said, laying her hands on top of his again,
      rubbing his knuckles more deliberately this time. He relaxed and she said,
      "This is what middle C looks like in music notation." She pointed to one of
      the dots on the paper on the music stand. "This is called the staff, and
      these are the notes." She rambled on and on, not removing her hands from on
      top of his as she did so. It was hard to suppress his grin.

      Finally, she noticed. "Pay attention, Logan. What are you smirking at?" He
      gazed pointedly at their hands, her elegant, pale fingers overlaying his
      larger, leather-clad digits. "Oh," she said, and snatched her hands away.
      There was a look in her eyes that was absolutely *not* what he wanted to
      see. Fear. "Sorry."

      He grabbed at her hands. "Don't be. Don't be sorry. Don't be afraid."

      "Logan, I --"

      "No, Marie. No excuses. No bullshit. You got a raw deal, yeah. And they may
      make you feel like you can't ever touch them," and he leaned in close now,
      "but you can always touch me." His face was so close she could feel his
      breath on her lips. "Always," he repeated fiercely.

      Her mouth opened, but no sound came out. She licked her lips again
      nervously, and he leaned back, bringing one of her hands close to his own
      mouth. He brushed her skin so lightly -- like the touch of a butterfly's
      wings -- she thought later that maybe she'd imagined it.

      Then he smiled, a real smile. And got one in return from her, her face
      lighting up from within, reminding him again of what he was waiting for, why
      he hung around when he'd never stayed in any one place for long.

      "Here endeth the lesson," he murmured, and then rose fluidly. She had a
      dazed look in her eyes. "See you tomorrow for lesson two?" he asked in a
      more normal tone.

      She nodded and he left. "Same bat time, same bat channel," she whispered
      softly, pressing the hand he'd kissed to her own lips.

      Maybe her dreams weren't so impossible after all, she thought, focusing once
      again on Beethoven.