Re: [xmenmoviefanfic] Mary Sue...Why?

  • Elizabeth Wilde
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2000
      > I've spent hours
      > debating the creativity
      > of FF with my mom (a published author), and she
      > keeps asking me if I have
      > the urge to write my own characters. Right now, no.

      Well, I think that has a lot to do with it. I started
      writing "regular" fantasy, sci-fi, horror (and some
      normal, yeah) fiction (short stories and poems), so I
      can never wholely shake the need to write my own
      people.

      I have, however, stopped making Mary Sues almost
      completely. I've weaned myself! lol Now I save my
      made-ups for my own stories and use regular characters
      in fic. Unless, of course, it's a character who can
      only exist in the universe of a certain fandom. For
      example, I have an Angel fic called "Blood and Fire"
      with a semi-Mary Sue character who is a Slayer. If I
      had used her in an original fic, I would've been
      treading on copyrights, so...

      > Do you Mary Sue on purpose? Yes, usually

      > Do you ever catch
      > yourself Mary Sueing with an
      > original character? Yes

      > Is Mary Sue always derogotory
      > in your mind? No, not to me

      > Does it
      > apply only to badly written author substitutes who
      > are smarter than Worf and
      > bed Picard? I dunno... good question!

      > Do you like reading Mary Sues, or just
      > like writing them? I'll read any good story,
      regardless of 'ship, Mary Sue... whatever. Good is
      good.

      Peace & Love,
      Beth

      =====
      http://go.to/believer

      Keeper of: Wolverine's Bad Attitude
      Wolverine's Crush on Jean Grey
      Cyclops's Jealousy
      Jean Grey's Level Head
      The Ice Rose Bobby Gave Rogue

      http://invites.yahoo.com/
    • XChaosDrgn@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2, 2000
        In a message dated 8/2/00 6:34:05 PM, idontwannawait@... writes:

        >I've spent hours debating the creativity
        >of FF with my mom (a published author), and she keeps asking me if I have
        >the urge to write my own characters. Right now, no.

        My take on fanfic is a little different from a lot of people's, I've
        discovered, since I originally come from a fandom background that involves a
        completely different kind of fanfic. Apparently it's influenced me more than
        I might like to admit. ;) I got my start in Pern Fandom, where, if you join
        the sanctioned fandom clubs, you're actually forbidden to use the characters
        from the books. The club roleplaying activities are also based around
        completely original storylines and characters, as are the fandom equivalent
        to fanfic stories -- stories which are published periodically in a fanzines
        unique to each club. Re-reading this paragraph I realize that it all sounds
        rather restricted and regulated ... *grin* ... which it is. That's part of
        why I eventually left the fandom. Playing Pern got boring, even to one of the
        headmasters of one of the freakiest clubs around. ;)

        Anyway, I really enjoyed playing with my own, original characters in Pern
        Fandom, which probably has a lot to do with the fact that I prefer to write
        my own characters in other fandoms. To me the fun in writing fanfic isn't
        necessarily in playing with the established characters, though that has its
        merits, but in playing with the unique ideas of the fandom universe. In fact,
        I find that I tend to write very little fanfic solely featuring established
        characters. To me it seems almost an exercise in futility ... It's all
        speculation since the original creators have ultimate say in the
        history/future of any such character. If I write my own character, unless I
        break the rules of the universe, I can be pretty sure that what I write is
        what "actually" happens to the character. All of this doesn't mean I don't
        enjoy what others write about established characters, though. *grin*

        >Do you Mary Sue on purpose?

        If what I write can be called Mary Sue, I don't do it intentionally, no. I
        don't set out to give characters specific likenesses to me. It's only when I
        look back later that I may find interesting similarities -- though more often
        my characters seem to have interesting connections to each other rather than
        to me. ;)

        >Is Mary Sue always derogotory in your mind?

        I haven't decided that yet ... haven't decided on a specific definition of
        Mary Sue, since it doesn't particularly concern me. I like a fic or dislike a
        fic based on its individual strengths and weaknesses -- and while _most_ Mary
        Sue seems to get on my nerves, well *rueful grin*, I admit that there's a lot
        of _non_ Mary Sue that can be just as annoying. ;)

        Mary Sue seems to most people to be about the character who's created just so
        someone can live out fantasies of being in this other universe ... By that
        definition, no! Mary Sue is definitely not something that interests me. ;D
        But if Mary Sue is defined as any fic involving a character who resembles its
        creator ... it's not by definition annoying, though there's a lot of
        potential in that area for going wrong.

        I think maybe I'll take Kate's enlightened definition (since I'm already
        using her enlightened words in my sig ;) of Mary Sue, and live by that, since
        by _that_ definition I'll rest assured of my safety from Mary Sue Haters
        Anonymous mounting a commando strike mission on my home...

        By the Way of the Claw,
        Crystal

        Find the X-Men on TV! Check out the Cerebro Starspotter at
        http://snikt.50megs.com
        Got SNIKT? Show it off with free Sniktmail! http://snikt.zzn.com

        In the last two weeks I'd left the only house I'd ever lived in, hitchhiked
        hundreds of miles, been nearly killed a couple times, nearly killed the only
        person I trusted ... twice, found out I was a freak of nature, found out I'll
        probably never kiss anyone as long as I live, nearly been responsible for
        killing New York City, flown in a plane for the first time ... and done
        several other things I couldn't recall at the moment but were, I'm sure,
        quite mind blowing.
        (Rogue, "Character Traits," by Kate Andrews)