FF "Second Thoughts" [Logan, Rogue, Jean, Scott] PG (1/1)

  • Elizabeth Wilde
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2000
      Author: Elizabeth Wilde
      Title: Second Thoughts
      Series: sequel to "Fugitive", which is a sequel to
      "Touch Me Fall"
      who asks me,
      http://www.geocities.com/aloysiusj/xfic.html
      Disclaimer: I own nothing! I merely borrow and
      worship. Don't sue, k?
      'Ship: none
      Rating: PG
      Spoilers: the movie, the other two fics
      Feedback: Gods, yes! wilde_moon@...
      Notes: You can see the pretty picture I made to go
      with it at
      http://www.geocities.com/aloysiusj/secondthoughts.html

      "Second Thoughts"

      So we're okay,
      We're fine.
      Baby, I'm here to stop your crying,
      Chase all the ghosts from your head;
      I'm stronger than the monster beneath your bed,
      Smarter than the tricks played on your heart.
      We'll look at them together then we'll take them apart
      Adding up the total of a love that's true
      Multiply life by the power of two.

      Wolverine left Scott's motorcycle by the front gate
      and stalked toward the entrance to Xavier's School.
      He'd considered stashing in the woods and telling
      Cyclops he'd wrecked it just to get a reaction, but
      Logan didn't want to risk it getting stolen by anyone
      but him. Part of him still encouraged said to turn
      around and walk back the way he'd come, but, Logan
      realized, he didn't really know what that way was.
      Predictably, the door was open when he reached it. If
      anyone unsavory came around, they wouldn't make it far
      anyway.

      Entering the school, Logan suddenly froze. Jean Grey
      stood just inside the door, mouth slightly agape, eyes
      wide. She recovered quickly, smiling warmly and
      stepping closer. "Logan! I'm glad you decided to
      come back to us." Tilting her head to the side, she
      asked, "What about Canada?" No accusation colored the
      question, only curiosity and a hint of amusement.

      "Yeah, well, didn't seem that important after I
      thought about it." He fished for
      something--anything--to say and failed. The urge to
      run away again was almost overwhelming in the face of
      her beauty and kind welcome. "Where's Rogue?"

      "Upstairs." Jean's dark eyes seemed to see through
      him as easily as before. "She's missed you too. Why
      don't you go on up?"

      Nodding shortly, Logan walked past Jean and then
      ascended the stairs. He barely suppressed a snarl at
      seeing Cyclops talking with one of the students at the
      head of the stairs. The young man smiled and nodded
      to Wolverine as if seeing him was entirely expected.
      "Welcome back."

      Ignoring purposefully every cutting comment that
      sprung to mind, Logan ignored him, continuing towards
      Rogue's room. He stopped outside the door, mind
      searching for the best way to approach her. "Knocking
      might be a good idea," he mumbled to himself.

      After three quick taps on the door, Rogue's voice
      came, "Come on in."

      Logan turned the knob and silently berated himself for
      feeling nervous. "Hey." He offered a quick, strained
      smile and stepped inside. "Miss me?"

      Face suddenly beaming, Rogue launched herself off the
      bed and ran to Logan, stopped just short of throwing
      her arms around his waist. Instead she stopped
      awkwardly and half-smiled. "Yeah, I missed ya."

      Knowing Rogue was just trying to avoid hurting him,
      Logan took the initiative, drawing her close and
      giving her a warm hug. "No sense worryin' about stuff
      like this, okay, kid?"

      She nodded against his shoulder. "Okay."

      Finally stepping back, Wolverine studied Marie for a
      moment with a critical eye. "You sleepin' okay?"

      She shrugged noncommittally. "Sometimes." Her large
      eyes gazed up at him. "I have dreams most nights,
      though."

      "Yeah. I figured." Sighing, Logan sat down on the
      edge of her bed. "You shouldn't hafta have those.
      Not fit for anybody, let alone a kid like you."

      Rogue scowled at him. "I'm almost eighteen. I'm not
      a kid anymore." She sat down on the bed next to him.
      "'Sides, I've kinda liked knowin' about you more.
      Havin' the dreams made it seem like you weren't gone
      almost. They kinda helped." Suddenly something
      occurred to her and she untwined her fingers from the
      tags around her neck. Lifting them over her hair,
      Rogue held them out for Logan to take back. "I kept
      'em for ya."

      "Thanks." He reached for them, then reconsidered and
      let his hand fall. "Know what? You keep 'em. You
      hang onto those and that way I can't ever get too far,
      okay?"

      She slipped the tags over her head again, fingers
      instantly tangling themselves in the cold metal.
      "Okay. Not that I'd let ya leave again anyway."

      "You wouldn't, would you?" Logan almost laughed.

      "Nope. It's dull as dirt around here when you're
      gone."

      Laughing despite himself, Logan put his arm around
      Rogue's shoulder. "Since you put it that way, I guess
      I've gotta stay."

      "I knew ya couldn't leave more than once. You'd miss
      me too much."

      Logan sighed and smiled down at Marie. "Yeah. Yeah,
      I would."

      THE END

      Feedback makes me happy and inspires new ideas ::hint, hint::

      =====
      http://go.to/believer

      Keeper of: Wolverine's Bad Attitude
      Wolverine's Crush on Jean Grey