Fic: Ace's High (2/5) (PG-13)

  • Mina-Clare Moseley
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2000
      Title: Ace's High
      By: Mina-Clare Moseley
      Universe: X-Movie
      Characters: Remy LeBeau, Rogue, Logan, Professor Charles Xavier, Scott
      Summers, Bobby Drake, Dr. Jean Grey, Dr. Michaela St Matthews (OFC)
      Synopsis: The X-Men meet a young mutant thief
      Rating: PG-13. Language and violence.

      Disclaimer: Remy, Professor Xavier and all things X-Men belong to Marvel
      Comics. The movie was made by 20th Century Fox, so they deserve some credit
      to. Basically, I don't own 'em, never claimed to either.

      Author's Notes: This story follows "Keeping Faith". It is not necessary to
      read it before this one, but please do any way? *puppy eyes*
      http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/dear_girl/xmen/index.html
      ***

      "He jumped out a window?" Jean said, eyebrow raised. "That's... Courageous."

      Scott sighed. "That's stupidity, Jean."

      Xavier silenced both of them. "He was just a boy. He came here to rob us.
      Did he take anything from Rogue and Kitty?"

      Logan shook his head. "We scared him off before he had the chance. Rogue
      and Kitty have all ready gone through all of their things. So that's it?"

      Shutting his eyes, Xavier went through the boy's thoughts. "I want you to
      find him."

      "Why, Charles?" Michaela asked.

      "'cause the kid's a mutant," Logan replied. "He used this power on me.
      Glowing playin' cards."

      "I will search with Cerebro for the boy," Carefully turning the wheels on
      his wheelchair, Xavier moved from behind the desk. "You four get to sleep.
      There's nothing more that can be done tonight."

      ***

      "Bobby! Stop it!" Rogue shrieked as she slid on the ice at her feet once
      again. "Ah wanna walk without slippin' all the time!"

      Grinning, Bobby nudged Rogue. "But I want to catch you when you fall."

      "It'd serve ya right if ya touched ma bare skin."

      Bobby and Rogue walked down the streets of town. They had gone out with the
      group. Kitty and Jubilee had wanted to go into a store, so Bobby and Rogue
      decided to walk around the block. Waiting was getting dull, so Bobby was
      mixing things up.

      He created a particularly slick patch and Rogue's feet slid across it. She
      shrieked as she started to fall backwards. Just when she thought she was to
      hit pavement, a pair of strong hands caught her.

      "Y' okay, Chere?" a heavily accented voice asked.

      Rogue turned. "Fine." She took in a gasp. The young man who had caught her
      was nothing short of beautiful. His long auburn hair was back in a
      ponytail. Wild bangs fell loose, framing his forehead. A pair of dark
      sunglasses masked his eyes. He had a strong jaw, with scattered stubble.

      "Wouldn' wan' t' bruise dat pretty white skin." He reached up to caress her
      cheek.

      Rogue recoiled, almost running into Bobby. "No..."

      "Your boyfrien' ge' jealous, non?" The young man flashed a roguish smile.

      "No.... Ah mean, he's not ma boyfriend." Rogue blushed deeply. This guy was
      cute. Being touched by him wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, if it
      weren't for her 'gift'. "And no.... It's just.... Ya can't touch ma skin."

      "Dat be a shame, Chere." He took her gloved hand. "Remy. And you are?"

      "Rogue." The red in her cheeks kept dominating.

      "Enchante." Remy bowed, pressing a kiss to her gloved hair.

      Grinding his teeth, Bobby stepped in. "I'm Bobby. Rogue, we should be going?"

      Rogue bit her lip. "You're right. Kitty and Jubilee are prob'ly waitin'. It
      was nice ta meet ya, Remy."

      "A pleasure, Rogue." Remy kissed her hand. He patted Bobby on the side.
      "Rober'."

      Bobby scowled, watching the mysterious young man walk by. Extending his
      hand, he created a patch of ice. Both Rogue and Bobby heard Remy wail as he
      hit the pavement. Containing the chuckle was hard for Bobby.

      "Did ya just do something?" Rogue demanded.

      "Never!"

      They reached the store. Kitty and Jubilee were at the counter.

      "Shoot!" Jubilee cried. "I'm short!"

      "Tell us something we don't know, Jubes," Bobby laughed.

      Jubilee narrowed her gaze. "Can you lend me five bucks, Bobby?"

      "Sure." He reached for his wallet, but found his pocket empty. "Wait....
      That guy stole my wallet!"

      ***

      "Of all people, I get stuck with YOU."

      "Believe me, Darlin'.... This is not my idea of a good time."

      Logan and Michaela sat on the bench outside the small strip of stores the
      kids had decided to check out. Scott and Jean were busy, so they were stuck
      watching the students on their outing.

      "I'm sure you'd rather be here with JEAN." Michaela rolled her eyes. An arm
      wrapped around her shoulder, pulling her close.

      "Come on, Mika.... Ya know I like ya." Logan shot her a grin, which always
      seemed to resemble more of a snarl.

      She pushed away. "You're a terrible flirt, has anyone ever told you that?"

      "Is it workin' yet?"

      Leaning in an inch from his lips, she smiled. "Not in a million years."

      The four young students ran from a store. Bobby looked madder than hell.

      "Logan! Some guy stole Bobby's wallet!" Rogue cried.

      "Do you know who it was?"

      Bobby nodded. "Some guy who was flirting with Rogue. Long reddy hair,
      sunglasses, trenchcoat. Around our age."

      Gritting his teeth, Logan stood. "Where did this guy go?"

      "Down that way." Bobby pointed towards the end of the strip.

      "You're not thinking of going after him, are you Logan?" Michaela asked.

      "'course I am. If I'm right, I'll save Chuck some trouble."

      ***

      Remy settled in the alley and went through the kid's wallet. He didn't have
      a lot of money, but it was nice to triumph. That botched job last night at
      the school embarrassed him.

      "Rober' Drake.... Hmmmm....." He flipped through the ID. Remy's eyes
      widened as he settled on his school ID. The kid attended Xavier's School.
      Wasn't that ironic?

      "I don't think that's yers, Kid," a voice growled. Remy froze, the voice
      shocking him to the core. It was familiar. He had heard it only the night
      before.

      Reaching into his coat, Remy prepared to pull a card. The hairy man grabbed
      his collar before he could. "I'm not too fond of card tricks."

      Remy fought fiercely to get away. The man held him tightly. "Now, ya tried
      to rob my friends last night.... Now ya steal my friend's wallet. Yer in
      trouble."

      "How'd you find me?" Remy stuttered.

      The man rumbled. "Ya smell like cheap cologne."

      Being hauled out of the alley was humiliating. Remy shut his eyes tightly
      as he was literally carried to a group of kids.

      Waving hesitantly, Remy managed a weak smile. "Bonjour Rogue, Rober'."

      A pretty blonde woman looked at the man who held Remy. "Aren't you being a
      little rough on him, Logan?"

      The man now known as Logan shook his head. "This is the kid who broke int'
      the school last night."

      Remy kicked himself mentally; king of thieves, my derriere. He was
      pathetic. "Can we please talk about this?"

      "Logan, let him go," the woman said. She took Remy's sunglasses off,
      staring into his red eyes. "I'm Dr. St. Matthews. We don't want to hurt
      you. We just want you to talk to our friend."

      "No police?"

      "No police."

      Remy nodded. "I will go wit' you den."

      ******
      Mina-Clare Moseley
      mailto:moseley@...

      Personal Homepage:
      http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/dear_girl/index.html

      MOON ILLUSIONS-- The Sci-Fi/Fantasy Web Magazine
      http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/moon_illusions/index.html