What is a Mary Sue?

  • s.chester
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 31, 2000
      Okay, everyone, I need some help. My Beta-reader tells me that I need to know what a "Mary Sue" is, that it's vital that I know if I want to continue writing fanfic. But her being the ditz that she is (sorry Jocelyn!) she doesn't know what it is. She says it's something like that it's  a person who can become really annoying if you make them into someone who always saves the day. This of course left me even MORE confused. Can anyone out there in fic-land help me? Feel free to mail me directly :
      sl_chester@... Thanks! -Shannon
    • Siubhan
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2000
        Mary Sue is a blatant author surrogate. She's a character created to be
        the love interest and often saves the day with her amazing abilities. The
        most common Mary Sue is stunning, petite, strong, intelligent, witty,
        sexy, and everybody loves her/wants her. There are subspecies of Mary Sue
        as well, like the damsel in distress (who gets rescued by the hero), or
        Mousy Sue (who can't believe the hero would fall for someone like her).

        Now, some people like Mary Sue. Others don't. There's nothing wrong with
        writing Mary Sue so long as you realize it and acknowledge it. Just
        realize that the people who don't like Mary Sue generally have a very
        *strong* dislike of Mary Sue.

        If you want to avoid writing a Mary Sue, make sure your original female
        character has normal human features, normal human flaws, and isn't just an
        idealized extension of you. Don't have your male hero instantly fall for
        her charms, or be obsessed with her, or what have you.

        There's some more info on Mary Sue at "Bad Fanfic, No Biscuit" -
        http://www.englishchick.com/badfic . If you want to read a parody of Mary
        Sue, read my story "My Dark Lover."

        -Siubhan

        layla@... / siubhan@... / http://www.siubhan.com

        Gore: I'm my own man. I may not be the most exciting
        politician, but I will fight for the working families of
        America, in addition to turning the White House into a lusty
        pit of marital love for Tipper and me. - Debate Transcript #3