FIC: Outside Looking In (Scott, Logan) G (1/1)

  • Phoenix Fire
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 29, 2000
      Title: Outside Looking In
      Author: Phoenix (lifefromfire@...)
      Character/Pairing: Logan, Scott, no pairing.
      Rating: G
      Archiving: Want it? Take it. Just give me credit.

      thereof) and finds unexpected insight.

      Disclaimer: As the title says, not mine. <g> They belong
      to Marvel (I think). I make no money.

      Notes: This is based solely on movie canon. This isn't a
      drive by anymore. This is a full scale stampede! There
      will probably be more bunnies tonight . . . today . . .
      whatever . . . <g> Please let me know if I've totally
      screwed up Logan's voice and characterization...

      *Outside Looking On*
      by Phoenix
      lifefromfire@...

      If ever there was someone who takes the phrase "fearless
      leader" too seriously, it's Scott Summers. *Cyclops*.
      Right. Not that I'm much better. Faced with choosing a
      code name or being given one, I stuck with Wolverine.
      From bar brawler to super hero.

      Right. Back to the dickhead. Excuse me, the fearless
      dickhead. If he projected any more calm he'd be dead.
      Would make for a great poker face, though. If he could
      unbend enough to play cards. Take now, for example.
      Not that I'm watching him. I'm watching Jean, he just
      keeps getting in the way.

      I can't hear what they're saying, but I've got a pretty
      good idea what's going on. She's asking him for
      something, and he's telling her he's got better shit to do.
      With a woman like that, I'm having as hard a time
      believing him as Jean obviously is. She's got this wrinkle
      in her brow and a hurt look in her eyes, but she just nods
      and turns away.

      And one eye just stands there and looks after her. Same
      half blank expression he turned on me when I wouldn't
      shake his hand. Has he even got more than one
      expression? I haven't been around long, but I can already
      read Jean pretty well. 'Course, Jean is worth watching.

      Still, I think the only time Summers ever showed any
      expression was when we were all strapped to the inside
      of the head of the Statue of Liberty. He had his eyes
      screwed up so tight I swear he thought the things were
      going to fall out of his head. He looked scared, but he
      was still clinging to the shreds of control.

      Aw, shit. I just got a flash of insight into the head of a
      dick. Hang on. That came out all wrong. Hell with it. It
      just hit me that the one time I've tacked any emotion
      onto the golden boy was the one time I've seen him with
      his glasses, visor or whatever off. Just his face, his
      closed eyes.

      I'm watching him watching Jean now. I pull back my
      focus off his face, let myself take in the body language.
      Let my nostrils flare and take in his scent.

      I'm a damned idiot. It's obvious now. He's leaning after
      Jean, his shoulders slumped almost unnoticeably, his
      eyebrows sunk low enough to disappear behind the red
      glasses. His scent hints just a little of fear. Yeah, fear.
      That she'll leave him? That she doesn't see behind the
      glasses, either? It doesn't matter, it's there.

      He turns, slower than normal, and starts down the
      hallway in the opposite direction. His body straightens
      out, and I read determination in it. If I look close, I can
      see that he's set his jaw. But when I don't think about it,
      when I just glance at him, my eyes go first to
      impenetrable red lenses.

      Does anyone even notice how they dominate his face?
      They hide his mutation, sure. They also hide his...I don't
      know. Humanity maybe. Figures his girl would be a
      telepath.

      Do those glasses have to be mirrored? How much of the
      fearless leader is a mask anchored in ruby quartz? I've
      been jabbing at him with words, trying to break the shell.
      Maybe I just wasn't looking hard enough for cracks.

      Maybe I shouldn't be making the cracks. Maybe I ought
      to be making a door. Those guys need a leader, and I
      could do with one less enemy.

      **The End**
    • D. Diebin
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2000
        Hi there. It says in your archiving rights that people can archive your
        stories, so I"m just writing to say that I REEEEALY want to, and will if
        it's okay with you. You write fabulous stories and I love them all!

        I'm archiving stuff on the x-men section of my fic page, here:

        http://www.geocities.com/mistressdiebin/xmen.html

        Thanks!

        ~Die