5918FIC: X-Book 4: Of Politics..., PG-13, Chpt 22

  • Kathleen
    May 11, 2004
      X-Book 4 -- Of Politics, Tacos and Other Things that Give You
      Indegestion

      Chapter 22: Secret Lair Laugh

      By: Kath713/Leen713
      Rating: PG-13 (violence, language)

      Genre: Crossover (with anything I can squeeze in), SPOILERS FOR X2

      story.

      Reviews: Any feedback would be great and is appreciated!

      ***

      Chapter Twenty-Two:

      A short while later, Pyro was sitting on a bed in one guest room,
      still looking a little stunned by the unexpected decision to allow
      him to stay in New York. He had only brought one travel bag with
      him, which had not contained much else besides a change of clothes
      and a few CD selections he had shoved in there as an afterthought.
      He was snapping his lighter repeatedly against his hand, unsure of
      what he was supposed to do next.

      He was sitting in an awesome house, close to one of the biggest
      cities in the world, and he was going to be training with another
      pyretic, one mutant who could manipulate glass and one vampire...

      "Too weird, man," he mumbled to himself, as a grin spread over his
      face.

      Pyro jumped a little as someone knocked on his door.

      "Um..." he said, surprised at the courtesy, "Come in?"

      The door opened and he grinned again, as Sid walked in carrying an
      armload of spare blankets and towels. The look on Sid's face was
      irritated, and Rebecca was following directly behind him, talking
      quickly and frowning.

      "I don't care..." she said loudly and Sid rolled his eyes, "We're
      not taking him to the Council training room in the city. That place
      is barely up to Slayer code, let alone fireproof..."

      "Well, it's not like the basement gym is up to par here either," Sid
      shot back, dropping the pile of blankets next to their new
      boarder, "Where else is there to go that's nearby? What...you wanna
      take the kid to one of the Underground's training rooms?"

      "No...not yet," Rebecca answered, "But...that really would be the
      best place! No one knows how to handle fire like they do..."

      "What's the Underground?" Pyro asked, and the twins glanced at him.

      "Shh..." Sid said with a grin, and glanced out in the hall before
      pushing the door shut, "It's sort of a club...they've got one in
      almost every city in the world."

      "It's where most of our friends stop by when they're passing
      through," Rebecca added, "They're not really people Sebastian likes
      us associating with, but he deals with it."

      "Other mutants?" Pyro asked.

      Sid nodded, "Mutants...humans...miscellaneous."

      "Miscellaneous?" Pyro asked, "You mean more like your uncle?"

      "And then some," Rebecca said, and then gave him an amused
      frown, "This stuff's not freaking you out, is it?"

      Pyro shrugged, "I'll tell you after I meet the miscellaneous."

      "That won't be right away," Sid said, "Maybe in a few weeks...once
      Bas gets used to having you around."

      "Cool..." Pyro replied.

      "Until then..." Sid said glancing back at his sister, "We're gonna
      have to clean out the basement so we can use that for training. Or
      out in the back lot..."

      "First," Rebecca interrupted him, "We need to go get something to
      eat. How do you feel about Taco Bell, kid?"

      Pyro frowned, "Kid? I feel fine about it...old woman..."

      Sid burst out in laughter as Rebecca glared at the teenager in
      surprise.

      "Sorry," Pyro added, "But you're not that much older than me, right?"

      Sid was still laughing, "The kid's gonna fit right in..."

      "Oh, ha ha, Sid," Rebecca replied, "But maybe you shouldn't be
      laughing. We do share a birthday, you and I. So I'm going to take
      Pyro's `old woman' comment to actually be a reference to an `old
      man' comment directed at you. We pyretics are clever with our
      insults."

      "Whatever you wanna tell yourself, Bec," Sid replied.

      "Whatever..." Rebecca said, grabbing him by the lapels, "Let's just
      go eat for, God's sake. Tacos would be ideal, but you may want to
      watch your old man waistline, old man..."

      Pyro stood and followed them out of the room, "Hey, those are good
      code names for you guys."

      "Yeah," Rebecca agreed, "Old woman is a great code name for Sid."

      "Jesus, Bec, you've just gotta keep being the instigator, right?"
      Sid said back, throwing his hands into the air with mock disgust.

      Rebecca laughed, "Yes, I do."

      As they entered the living room, they spotted Magneto sitting in one
      large chair, reading a local news paper quietly. At least...it had
      been quiet. Toad was crouching near the front door and Mystique was
      seated near their leader, both silently watching the others as they
      walked out of the back hall

      "Hey, maybe that can be my secret code name..." Rebecca chimed
      suddenly.

      "What...The Instigator?" Sid asked.

      "YES!" Rebecca said dramatically, grabbing a jacket from a coat rack
      and using her good arm to throw it around her like a cape.

      Sid and Pyro had to take a step back as the injured young woman
      stepped up onto an ottoman and stood at attention. Magneto watched
      them curiously over his book, trying not to look amused.

      "I am the Instigator!" Rebecca announced grandly, "Fear my words!
      For I will pick a fight with anyone about anything for absolutely no
      reason at all! Welcome to my secret lair! MwaaHaHaHa..."

      Sid gave her a scoffing grin

      "What the fuck was that?" he asked her with a laugh.

      "What..." she replied with annoyance, "What was what?"

      "That..." he started, "That last bit. That 'mwahahaha.' What was
      that?"

      "What do you mean?" she said, sounding hurt at her brother's
      questioning, "Everybody with a secret lair does that. You know,
      it's in all the movies. 'Welcome to my secret lair! MwaaHaHaHa!"

      Sid scoffed again, "No, they don't."

      Rebecca frowned angrily, "They do so. Anyone with a secret lair
      says 'MwaaHaHaHa!"

      "Bec, I'm sure not everyone with a secret lair says 'MwaaHaHaHa!"

      "I'm telling you they do!"

      "No, they don't."

      "Yes, they do!"

      Erik rolled his eyes, deciding their conversation was far too silly,
      and interrupted their dialogue by clearing his throat loudly.

      "Ahem. I have...never....made that noise," he announced, quite
      commandingly, but struggled not to grin.

      Sid looked quite pleased and smug and Rebecca rolled her eyes in
      annoyance.

      "Alright," she said, "Alright, not EVERYONE with a secret lair makes
      that noise. I apologize, Mr. Lensherr, for feeding stereotypes.
      Fine...Sid, you were right..."

      "Ha," Sid chuckled victoriously, but by the look on her face, Erik
      doubted Rebecca would let her brother win so easily.

      "However," Rebecca announced loudly, "That does not mean that I will
      not say it! Now...I hunger. Sid...Pyro...Let us go to my secret
      lair! MwaaHaHaHa!"

      "D'you mean Taco Bell?" Pyro asked with a wicked grin.

      "Yes!" she continued in the mock deep voice, "To Taco Bell! My
      secret lair lies south of the border! MwaaHaHaHa!"

      "Becca!" Sebastian's voice echoed from somewhere, "Get off the
      couch!"

      "Jeez..." she mumbled, stepping down carefully, "You people are no
      fun..."

      Rebecca led Pyro and Sid out of the room in a much more subdued
      manner and Erik shook his head and sighed.

      Toad glanced over at him, a bewildered glared on his face.

      "You sure you want to leave Pyro here?" he asked and Magneto could
      only chuckle quietly in response.

      ***
      Archived at www.fanfiction.net/~leen713