5854FIC: X-Book 4: Of Politics..., PG-13, Chpt 5

  • Kathleen
    Apr 8, 2004
      X-Book 4 -- Of Politics, Tacos and Other Things that Give You
      Indegestion

      Chapter Five: Meanwhile at the Mansion...

      By: Kath713/Leen713
      Rating: PG-13 (violence, language)

      Genre: Crossover (with anything I can squeeze in), SPOILERS FOR X2

      story.

      Reviews: Any feedback would be great and is appreciated!

      ***

      Chapter Five:

      As the students were gathering for dinner, Remy was stalking around
      the mansion in annoyance, searching desperately for another adult.

      Since they had returned, the other X-Men had been busily doing
      whatever it was they did after a robot-fighting incident deep in the
      labs below the school. After Logan had finished harassing him about
      his bourbon, Remy had been left to his own machinations, which meant
      he had been bored out of his mind in less than ten minutes. He
      debated heading out to Rusty's or one of the other local dives, but
      decided the Professor and crew would probably not approve of that so
      soon after their little adventure.

      Remy sighed unhappily as he walked around the quiet halls, his hands
      shoved deeply into the pockets of his long coat. The events of the
      past day or so had really not affected him in any traumatic way. He
      had been in life threatening situations before, and it had not been
      the first time he had seen someone die under gunfire. It was
      terrible and tragic, of course, but c'est la vie. He did hope that
      Toad and Rebecca had made it out alive. They had been very
      entertaining cellmates, even though Toad and the boy Pyro had tried
      to kill Remy for a few tense minutes.

      Wasn't the first time someone's tried to kill you either, Gambit,
      eh? He thought to himself with a chuckle.

      Actually, from Remy's point of view, the entire ordeal had ended on
      a positive note. He had `rescued' Rogue from certain doom...well,
      maybe not on his own, but it had been quite sweeping and dramatic
      the way he had drew her into his arms, away from the dangerous
      mutants and off toward the jet and then down to the medical bay
      where he waited anxiously for word on her condition. A great moment
      in human chivalry, if he did say so himself.

      Shame she slept through the whole thing, he thought with another
      sigh, sounding like the tragic hero, but smirking wickedly at his
      own strange humor.

      Remy wandered on past the dining hall, his curious attention focused
      on the various (expensive-looking) paintings and artwork adorning
      the walls. Suddenly, he heard several voices approaching, and
      before he could react, someone stormed around one corner and slammed
      into him roughly.

      The wind was knocked out of him for a moment, and Remy steadied
      himself against one wall. Sitting angrily on the floor in front of
      him was Siryn, who met his apologetic gaze with a fiery glare.

      Three Jamie Madroxs were standing a few paces behind her, all
      staring at Remy as if he had just cut the wrong wire on an active
      bomb.

      "Pardon, ma petite," Remy said with surprise, holding out a hand to
      the fallen girl, "My mind was wandering and I had not heard you
      coming..."

      Siryn shoved his hand away furiously and quickly got to her feet.
      The Jamies all took an anxious step sideways in unison, and all
      three struggled for his life not to grin.

      "Aye!" Siryn said in a loud voice, "I guess you didn't! Nearly ran
      me and the boyos over!"

      "Again, ma chere, I do apologize" Remy said with a curt bow. Siryn
      had her hands on her hips and continued to glare up at him. Remy
      himself stood just shy of six-foot-two, easily a foot taller than
      the Irish girl, but his height over her did not seem to intimidate
      her in the least.

      "This is a school, ya'know," she said indigently, "You should be
      watchin' where you're goin', ya clumsy Cajun!"

      Remy gaped down at her in surprise, "What?"

      "You heard me, ya fumblin' Frenchman!" she shouted up at him, the
      timbre of her voice changing slightly.

      "I beg your pardon," Remy said with sudden anger at her
      rudeness, "But you...petite...were the one who ran into me..."

      If Remy had glanced over at the Jamies, he would have seen them
      chuckling to themselves quietly.

      "Don't think you can pass off your irresponsible behavior on someone
      else," Siryn said loudly, causing a nearby lamp to shudder.

      "I wasn't trying to..." Remy began, frowning as Siryn pointed an
      angry finger towards his face.

      "There're decent, hard-workin' students here, just tryin' to learn
      at thing or two," she continued, "Maybe you'd do well to follow our
      example and think once and a while."

      Remy was now glaring back at her with his own fury. He may have to
      listen to this kind of talk about irresponsibility from Storm or the
      Professor, but he was not about to put up with it from some punk kid
      with an attitude problem.

      One of the Jamies began to laugh out loud, but the other two muffled
      him quickly.

      "Now see here, little one," Remy said with a frown, his accent
      enhanced by his anger, "Accidental run-ins are subjects of passing
      care, but insults and rudeness such as such as YOURS is not
      generally tolerated even in the lowest of places, and I don't expect
      it is here. Some gentlemen of a more unstable disposition may hold
      a grudge against such arrogant disregard of simple decent..."

      Remy was cut off suddenly as Siryn began to laugh. The vicious
      glare faded form her face and she grinned up at him with amusement.
      He blinked in confusion as the small Irish lass folded her arms
      casually and tilted her head.

      "What?" Remy repeated his earlier question and Siryn nodded
      approvingly.

      "I like you, Cajun," she said with a smirk, "You've got fire in your
      belly. Not like this boy `ere or rock heads like Peter...none
      of `em will put up a good fight with me anymore. But, there's hope
      for you, Gambit, my friend. Can't wait to face off in the Danger
      Room!"

      Siryn headed past him on her way to the dining hall and the Jamies
      lingered a moment as Remy scratched his head in confusion.

      "What the hell just happened?" he asked the boy/boys. The Jamies
      just grinned and shrugged, one after the other in a repetitive
      manner, and then walked off after his friend.

      Remy shook his head and sighed before heading off to his room. On
      the way, he passed Kitty and Jubilee walking in the opposite
      direction. He nodded toward them politely, and when he was out of
      ear shot, they began to giggle.

      "Where's Rogue?" Kitty complained unhappily, "I want to find out
      more about Mr. Big Easy back there..."

      "Yeah," Jubilee agreed, "Why does she always get to have the crazy
      adventures where she's rescued by all the sexy men? It's not
      fair..."

      "Hey!" Kitty said, "We've had adventures! Escaping from the mansion
      and whatever. At least you got rescued by Kurt...he's sweet. But,
      totally all about Ms. Monroe..."

      Jubilee giggled, "No kidding. Well, we have some boys our age in
      the mansion still...don't we?"

      The girls reached the dining hall and opened the door to the quickly
      growing chaos within.

      Siryn was busily shouting at Peter for something as he ignored her
      with practiced skill. (Kitty and Jubilee had a secret bet about how
      long it would take them to figure out they actually liked each
      other.)

      Blink was drawing annoyed complaints from the other students as he
      channel surfed too quickly for anyone else to see. (And, he
      wondered why he needed glasses...)

      Artie and another student had apparently dared each other to eat hot
      sauce directly from the packets marked "fire" and were desperately
      reaching for any liquid they could find to drink. (This happened
      every taco night...)

      A relatively new student named Evan had literally speared another
      student's baggy jeans to the floor and was now quickly apologizing
      as he tried to yank the strange spike out of the floor. (Which had
      incredibly formed out of Evan's hand...)

      Kitty and Jubilee exchange annoyed glances and both sighed.

      "Once Rogue is better...we totally need a girl's night out of
      here..." Jubilee said.

      "Totally..." Kitty agreed.

      ***
      Archived at www.fanfiction.net/~leen713