      Chapter 15: Straight for A Fall

      Author: November Tuesday

      Email: novemberotica@...

      Rating: Here there be naughty words.

      Continuity: Series begins 3 years after X1.

      Disclaimer: Marvel, Fox, Brian Singer yadda yadda yaddaÂ…

      Archive: Sure, and if it's someplace other than list archives, please
      let me know.

      Feedback: makes me warm and fuzzy.

      Author's Notes: This chapter has a lot of italics, so it's better
      read at novemberotica.com.

      "Well I'll be damned, here comes your voice again...
      Hand on the telephone
      Hearing a voice I'd known a couple of light years ago,
      Heading straight for a fall..."
      --Joan Baez

      Caller ID said it was the same foreign number as before, an area code
      she didn't recognize.

      She hated the way her heart was suddenly pounding. God damn him. Why
      could he still have this effect on her? She wasn't going to let him.

      She picked it up on the fourth ring.

      "Hello?"

      "Hey. It's Logan."

      She hated the way longing suddenly filled her, the way tears were in
      her eyes.

      "Hey. How are you?"

      "I'm okay. How was the funeral?"

      "It was a funeral. There's something unnatural about dolling up a
      dead body like a French whore."

      The South was in her voice, stronger than he'd remembered. The edge
      there was altogether new.
      He chuckled. This dry wit was new, unexpected. "Who died?"

      Now she was dangerously close to crying. "One of my best friends. She
      was shot up on a mission."

      "I'm sorry, kid."

      I'm not a fucking kid. She wanted to scream the words. The only thing
      keeping her from screaming at him was the sincerity and concerned
      sorrow in his voice. She wiped her eyes and swallowed.

      "Yeah, well, it happens. So where the hell have you been?"

      If he was hurt by the accusatory note in his voice, he chose not to
      show it. "Around. South America, Africa."

      "Cool. You must have some good stories." That's it, Rogue, keep it
      light. Get a hold of yourself.

      "I do." Long seconds of phone silence. "I'm really sorry about your
      friend. How're you holdin' up?"

      Damn, damn, damn.

      He's gone for five years while I live through my life, and now he
      wants to know how I'm holding up?

      Okay. I will not get mad. I will not go off on him.

      She took a deep breath and swallowed her tears. "Logan, I have to
      tell you - I don't understand why you're calling me now. You were
      gone for five years and no-"

      "Aww, Marie, don't be like that."

      "Logan, I'm not being like anything. I'm asking you in a very
      civilized way for you to explain your behavior. I'm not yelling at
      you, which I might add is taking a good bit of effort, I'm not
      hysterical, I'm not crying" - ok, so that part is a lie - "but I'm
      just asking you, because I don't get it. I just - this is very bad
      timing, I'm really upset today, and I don't have the energy to
      pretend I understand you. I don't wanna pretend, because I thought we
      had something, that we were friends. I just... I don't have the
      energy for this."

      Silence. He's gonna hang up. He's gonna hang up and I'll never hear
      from him again.

      "I- I'm an asshole, okay."

      "No, bullshit, wrong answer. You can't plead the asshole defense
      after saving my life twice."

      He was quiet. He'd expected her to be pissed, but not quite this
      relentless. And sharp. And absolutely right. "What, you don't think
      I've acted like an asshole?"

      "Oh, I know you've acted like an asshole! Saying that you are a de
      facto asshole, however, is a cop-out. I want to know why you were
      being an asshole."

      Another second of shocked silence.

      His response, deep rich laughter, was not what she'd expected. It
      wasn't derisive laughter. It sounded... proud.

      "I'm sorry Marie, I don't mean to laugh at ya. I just. I was afraid,
      okay? I was afraid for reasons I'll explain later, in person."

      Oh. This I want to hear. "Okay."

      "And I truly am sorry. I want you to know that."

      "Okay."

      "So how are you doin', kid? Please tell me you're okay."

      "Well, I'm not a fucking kid, first of all."

      "Okay, what are you, all of nineteen?"

      "Twenty one. But with a sixteen year old, a seventy year old super-
      villain, and a god-knows-how-old-you-are bar-fighting, cigar-smoking,
      waitress-shagging, disemboweling you in my head. So really, you could
      say I'm definitely not a kid."

      He laughed again, the same proud laugh. That warmed her somehow.

      "Well, I can't wait to see that." Just a hint of lechery. Flirtation.

      Don't you toy with me, Logan.

      "Fuuuuck you." It was all she could think to say, but it lacked any
      real vitriol.

      She could tell, she didn't know how, that he was smiling.

      "So where are you calling from, anyway?"

      "Near Cleveland." Adrenaline flushed her system. He was so close.

      "Sounds fascinating."

      "You've turned into quite the little smartass, haven't you?"

      "It's one of my better qualities. I woulda thought you'd appreciate
      it."

      Silence.

      "I can't wait to see you, Kid." His voice was full of... tenderness?
      Lust? She'd waited years to hear him speak to her that way.

      Can't wait? You've waited five years!

      "I'm just gonna withhold my comment on that, since against my better
      judgment I'd like to see you again too." It was with effort that she
      kept the smile from her voice.

      "Cool. I'll be there in maybe three days."

      "Yeah, okay. We'll leave the light on for ya."

      "I miss you."

      "Whatever. See ya."

      "Okay. Bye Marie."

      "Later."

      She hung up the phone. She stared into space. Then she grinned, and
      laughed to herself. Then her brows rose and she looked terrified.
      Then she teared up, in that order. She wiped her eyes and remembered
      the tone of his voice.

      I can't wait to see you.

      Chapter 16 is up at novemberotica.com