4107NEWS: Jackman hits Broadway.

  • tosh
    Feb 9, 2002
      Hi all. I caught this in the news and thought I'd pass this on. I hope
      Hugh's making time for X2!!

      Jackman in star Broadway role

      LOS ANGELES: Hugh Jackman is set to star in the Broadway version of the
      Australian theatre hit, The Boy From Oz.

      The Boy From Oz, a musical about the life of flamboyant Australian
      entertainer Peter Allen, has long been touted as Broadway bound after a
      sellout run in Australia in 1998.

      Jackman has agreed to play Allen in the leading role, The New York Times
      reported today.

      The Boy From Oz will begin in New York in workshop form in April and if
      all goes well the musical will have a full Broadway production in early

      The "workshop" will be closed to the public.

      While Jackman has become a favourite for movies audiences in the US
      after films such as X-Men, Swordfish and Kate and Leopold, few Americans
      know his stage and singing ability.

      Before his rise to movie stardom Jackman received critical acclaim for
      his starring role in musical Oklahoma! on London's West End.

      The 33-year-old has also starred in Australian stage versions of Beauty
      and the Beast and Sunset Boulevard.

      Jackman recently hinted about his desire to step back on stage and while
      New Yorkers will have to wait until next year to see The Boy From Oz,
      they will soon get a chance to taste the Australian actor's stage talents.

      In June, Jackman will be at Carnegie Hall for a special presentation of

      Just as Aussie actors have taken Hollywood by storm, it appears Aussies
      will become a force in New York theatre.

      Australian director and musical wunderkind Baz Luhrmann confirmed last
      month that his version of Puccini's opera, La Boheme, will open at the
      Broadway Theatre on December 8.

      Luhrmann also has plans for Broadway versions of his films Moulin Rouge
      and Strictly Ballroom.