2972FIC: The Mutant Bride - 0/? - PG [Scott/Rogue, Logan, Hank, Magneto, Mystique]

  • victoria p.
    Jun 4, 2001
      Title: The Mutant Bride
      Author: Victoria P. [victoria_p@...]
      revenge, Beasts, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles.
      Rating: PG
      fan-written fiction intends no infringement on any copyrights. The
      Princess Bride belongs to William Goldman and Castle Rock.
      Archive: Lists, Muse's Fool, anyone else who's got my stuff. If you
      want, ask.
      Feedback: Almost as good as true love, and better than cough drops.
      Notes: Thanks to Dot, Meg, Jen, and Pete. You knew it was bound to
      happen. The story that no one was asking for!

      The Mutant Bride

      // // indicates reality intruding on Rogue's dream

      The mutant known to most of her friends only as Rogue lay propped up
      against a bank of pillows, her face wan in the afternoon light.

      Her best friends, Kitty and Jubilee, burst into the living room,
      carrying a stack of DVDs.

      "Hola, chica," Jubi sang out. "How's our little Camille today?"

      "Camille died," Rogue answered dryly. "I'm recovering."

      "Oh." Jubilee shrugged. She wasn't one to worry about minor details.
      "We've got some movies to aid in your convalescence, including your
      all-time favorite and mine, 'The Princess Bride.'"

      She smiled. "Convalescence? You've been spending time with Hank again,
      huh, Jubes?"

      Jubilee grinned back. "I like the Hankster. He's the man. He's always
      got a stash of Twinkies."

      Rogue laughed, which quickly turned into a coughing fit. Kitty and
      Jubilee exchanged concerned glances. "Stop it!" Rogue exclaimed, once
      she was able to speak again. "Just stop looking at me like that. It's
      bad enough I've got everyone else in this place hovering over me, don't
      you two do it, too."

      "If Logan were here--" Kitty began hesitantly.

      "Well, he's not," Rogue snapped. "And I don't want anyone calling him to
      come back. He made his choice when he walked out of here three years
      ago, and I haven't heard from him since." She began coughing again, and
      Kitty decided to drop it.

      Everyone had expected the gruff Canadian to come back to Westchester --
      after all, he'd promised to protect Rogue, and left his dog tags as a
      tangible reminder of his promise.

      After the first year passed with no word, Rogue put the tags away and
      started moving on with her life.

      She'd recently contracted a new strain of the flu, which had deepened
      into pneumonia by the time she'd agreed to let Jean examine her.

      It had been touch and go for a while, and she knew, from the few times
      she was lucid, that Hank and Jean had wanted to call Logan back to heal
      her, while Scott argued against it. She made sure to tell them,
      repeatedly, that they weren't to contact him at all. Since she'd been
      running a fever of one hundred and three at the time, she wasn't sure
      they'd understood, but once she was better, she'd made her wishes known
      more clearly, and they'd respected them. So far. She knew Jean feared a
      relapse, and at that point, she figured, they'd contact him regardless
      of what she wanted. It just made her more determined to get well.

      It was a long, slow process, however, and she'd gotten antsy lying in
      her room all day for the past week and a half. Hence this trip down to
      the rec room and the appearance of her favorite movies.

      "Oh, Remy would be perfect as Westley," Jubilee sighed. She was forever
      going on about how swoony her boyfriend was, much to the dismay of her

      "No way! Bobby is more like Westley than Remy," Kitty defended *her*
      boyfriend hotly.

      "Please," Rogue said tiredly, "We all know Scott is the Westley of the
      X-Men. And Jean is his Buttercup."

      "I don't know, Roguey. You'd make a pretty good Buttercup," Jubilee
      pointed out. She knew how beloved Rogue was amongst the inhabitants of
      the mansion, even if Rogue didn't.

      "Yeah, right. What kind of fairy tale has an untouchable princess?" the
      southerner responded, blushing slightly. She thought she'd hidden her
      crush on Scott pretty well. He thought of her as his little sister,
      which was fine with her. She wouldn't have ever wanted to break him and
      Jean up. They were the perfect couple.

      "Every fairy tale, stupid," Jubilee said exasperatedly.

      "Hey, you know you're not supposed to call each other stupid in front of
      the kids," Scott said, coming in, sitting down next to Rogue and pulling
      her to rest against him.

      Some of the younger kids trooped in, having followed the leader of the
      X-Men, who figured this was as good a way as any to keep them occupied
      and out of his hair.

      Rina, one of the youngest children at the school, turned to Jubilee and
      asked, "What movie is this?" as the opening credits rolled.

      "'The Princess Bride,'" Scott answered.

      "Does it got any sports in it?" asked Thomas, a young boy who could
      breathe under water.

      Jubilee replied, "Are you kidding? Fencing, fighting, torture, revenge,
      Beasts, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles."

      "Hmph. It doesn't sound too bad," the boy replied.

      "It's my favorite," Rogue interjected. "I'm gonna try and stay awake."

      Scott smiled, since he knew, as did Jubilee and Kitty, that Rogue would
      be asleep before Westley left for America. He gently brushed one of her
      white locks behind her ear and said, "Of course, Rogue."

      "Really, I am."

      He nodded. "Of course, you are." And when, ten minutes later, her eyes
      were closed and her breathing even, he dropped a gentle kiss on her hair
      and told Jubilee to lower the volume, so Rogue could get some
      much-needed rest.

      "The begging, that comes later." Angel, _Angel_

      The Muse's Fool - http://www.unfitforsociety.net/musesfool
      Unfit for Society - http://www.unfitforsociety.net