Re: XX-7 live tips?

  • djnorythm
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 1, 2002
      I've been experimenting with a new live setup by DJing two drum
      machines. I'm putting a dj mixer between the MP-7 and the Roland D2.
      Basically, the meat and potatoes of what I want to do is on the MP-7
      and then I blend in the D2. Fade out the MP-7 and then hang out on the
      D2, while I reset the command station. And then start over.

      Obviously, a new OS for the command stations that would include more DJ
      friendly live functionality would be greatly appreciated and I agree
      with Eric on his comments.

      http://www.chrisshively.com/
    • David Jones
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 1, 2002
        heh , you shoulda got a XL-7, the color would go more with the d-2 ;)

      • erik_magrini@Baxter.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 1, 2002

          He could always paint it :)

          rEalm

          "David Jones" <spec@...>

          08/01/02 09:23 AM
          Please respond to xl7

                  To:        xl7@yahoogroups.com
                  cc:
                  Subject:        Re: [xl7] Re: XX-7 live tips?

          heh , you shoulda got a XL-7, the color would go more with the d-2 ;)
          I've been experimenting with a new live setup by DJing two drum
          machines.  I'm putting a dj mixer between the MP-7 and the Roland D2.
          Basically, the meat and potatoes of what I want to do is on the MP-7
          and then I blend in the D2.  Fade out the MP-7 and then hang out on the
          D2, while I reset the command station. And then start over.

          Obviously, a new OS for the command stations that would include more DJ
          friendly live functionality would be greatly appreciated and I agree
          with Eric on his comments.

          http://www.chrisshively.com/

          Yahoo! Terms of Service.
          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Yahoo! Terms of Service.

        • Neila Eliphas Spare
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 1, 2002
            Can't say that the lack of a mega-mix feature has stumbled me all that much.  Granted, however that I do find such an idea nice and ever so desirable.  Essientially, the most simplistic, though to a degree limiting, work around that I have found was simply to use other sequenced gear.
            I will note however that I've found the capabilities of the apprigio system in the XL-7 to be most usefull for (thus far) essientially serving as sort of a replacement to Roland's RPS system (of course it works well for apprigios as well).  I'll also chime in that something I'm really digging into with the XL-7 is it's ability to jump in and out of record mode while playing (just wish it could do this with grid mode as well); this definately to a degree can be used as somewhat as a replacement to Megamix (in my case, it in many ways is more desirable than megamix).  Simply erase parts you no longer want and record you new lines in IN REAL TIME.  Espically when in the live enviroment, I tend to like to work a lot in a improv manner, of all the gear that's graced my live p.a. setup, I have to say that the 505 by far has limited me the most in this area (megamix is a GREAT feature, but it falls way short in regards to letting you come up with something totally new on the spot).  I've been waiting for a capable sequencer for awhile that could take a lesson from the old Roland gear and it's ability to be modify sequences to hell and back while in record mode (the 777, and Korg Etribes seemed to take in this lesson), and it's ever so nice to see that the XL-7 can carry this function out.  It may not be bringing in sequences you already had made, but it's definately one way to go about brining in new sequences to the patterns your running on the fly.

            However, one big issue I'm having in regard to the XL-7 (I sent a previous email to the list in regard to this, but appearently it didn't make it) comes in regard to switching the track you are working on in more of a instintaneous manner.  Can't say that I like having to surf through channel buttons in order to reach a desired channel.  Is there any way to go about reaching a desired channel utlilizing no more than one or two button clicks?

            On another issue, I also was wondering where on earth is the USB port on the XL-7, I can't locate it at all and granted I am yet to read the manual cover to cover, I can't find any mention of it in the manual (contents or index).

            And yes, yet another question, I've been searching through the manual and have yet been able to find how exactly I go about setting what exactly Mod1 and Mod2 effect.  Can someone tell me how to go about doing this.

            To wrap up my own personal questions in regard to this beast, I'm having some trouble with one of my mute/trigger buttons, specifically mute/trigger button 3.  I often find that I have to hit it a couple times in order to have it work.  I was thinking that I can probably just dig underneath the hood of this thing and do some simple realigning in order to solve the problem.  rEalm, as you've been underneath the hood of this thing already, mind telling me your thoughts on where this problem may be steming from and if my idea on how to fix it might work or not.

            Respects,

                       Aaron Nesby
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 1, 2002
              > I will note however that I've found the capabilities of the apprigio
              > system in the XL-7 to be most usefull for (thus far) essientially
              > serving as sort of a replacement to Roland's RPS system

              'tis a shame, then, that the arpeggio interval stuff is broken. (See
              the bug database.) This really needs to be fixed in the next OS
              update.

              > Is there any way to go about reaching a desired channel utlilizing
              > no more than one or two button clicks?

              My XL-7 isn't here right now, but: can't you use the assignment panel
              in the middle to attach the data entry wheel to track/channel
              selection?

              > On another issue, I also was wondering where on earth is the USB
              > port on the XL-7, I can't locate it at all and granted I am yet to
              > read the manual cover to cover, I can't find any mention of it in
              > the manual (contents or index).

              It's on the back: it's a USB *client* socket, not a host socket. (USB
              is stupid this way; Firewire isn't.)

              > To wrap up my own personal questions in regard to this beast, I'm
              > having some trouble with one of my mute/trigger buttons,
              > specifically mute/trigger button 3.

              I've got a bit of cruft with the track/channel up/down buttons but I'm
              assuming they'll ride up with wear. Or ride down, or something.

              --

              nick rothwell -- composition, systems, performance -- http://www.cassiel.com
            • erik_magrini@Baxter.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 1, 2002

> [...]

                >>>Hold down PLAY while pressing RECORD (while the XX-7's playing).  :)   Damn those manuals!<<<

                Can't say that I like having to surf through channel buttons in order to reach a desired channel.  Is there any way to go about reaching a desired channel utlilizing no more than one or two button clicks?

                >>>Yeah, that's a good point.  Jumping to a track/channel to spur of the momment use the Quick Edit knobs can take too long while you scroll.  I think it would be cool to just hold down EDIT + the Track MUTE button for that channel to select it.  Much quicker. <<<

                On another issue, I also was wondering where on earth is the USB port on the XL-7, I can't locate it at all and granted I am yet to read the manual cover to cover, I can't find any mention of it in the manual (contents or index).

                >>>I hope you're kidding.  It's on the back, and it's the connector that doesn't look like a mains, 1/4", or RCA port :) <<<

                And yes, yet another question, I've been searching through the manual and have yet been able to find how exactly I go about setting what exactly Mod1 and Mod2 effect.  Can someone tell me how to go about doing this.

                >>>It's on the Patch Cords page for each Preset (the settings of the Quick Edit knobs are Preset dependant).  Go to the Patch Cords page and set Controllers "M" and "N" to control whatever parameter you want them to control, as well as the amount. <<<

                To wrap up my own personal questions in regard to this beast, I'm having some trouble with one of my mute/trigger buttons, specifically mute/trigger button 3.  I often find that I have to hit it a couple times in order to have it work.  I was thinking that I can probably just dig underneath the hood of this thing and do some simple realigning in order to solve the problem.  rEalm, as you've been underneath the hood of this thing already, mind telling me your thoughts on where this problem may be steming from and if my idea on how to fix it might work or not.

                >>>It might be just pressing against the case itself, I know my data knob wasn't soldered onto the PCB board 100% flat, so my knob was rubbing against the case at one point every rotation.  In my case, I just pulled the knob off and sanded down the edge of the knob and all was well (you can't see it either).  Be careful if you open up the case, especially for that section.  The LEDs in the XX-7 all have light pipes that trasmit the light to the front of the case, and they ARE NOT glued on.  So if you pull off that board to take a look, chances are a bunch of small plastic pieces will come loose with it.  Not saying it's an impossible task, but to put everything back together you need to use a hot glue gun or rubber cement to hold them in place while you reassemble.  It's easy to do, just a little bit time consuming.

                So if you're up for it, take it apart and press that button out of the case to see if it still sticks.  If it doesn't then it's probably rubbing against the case, just sand down the inside of that button hole to make it smoother and remove a little bit of the paint (you won't see it).  If it does still stick, then it's a faulty button and probably needs to be replaced,  I know you just got your XL-7, so I would just take it back and get another one if you haven't gone over the store warrenty.  Much easier, and you don't need to worry about messing anything up internally and ruining your manufacturer's warrenty.<<<

                rEalm

              • erik_magrini@Baxter.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 1, 2002

                  My XL-7 isn't here right now, but: can't you use the assignment panel
                  in the middle to attach the data entry wheel to track/channel
                  selection?

                  >>>Yeah, but it's still not as quick a button press(es).  Plus, I need to keep that display on the Bars and Beats setting to know where in my pattern I am sometimes, especially live. We're just picky I guess! :) <<<

                  rEalm
                • robotchas
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 15, 2002
                    I was harping on this problem a while back; it's the main reason why I decided not to buy an XX-7. It's clearly intended to be used as a live sequencer (gooseneck lamp jack) but it lacks one of the most crucial features of a live sequencer, a good way to change patterns during a performance. And if you're not using the XX-7 as your main sequencer, why not get an XX-1 instead?

                    A program change or sysex message to select pattern numbers would at least let you switch from a PC-1600 or footswitch board (I play guitar too)...but it won't do that either (only the otherwise very limited Electribes will).

                    Hopefully E-mu will eventually address this with an update, but at this point I've given up and decided to try Ableton Live instead. I wish Live played back MIDI sequences as well as audio, but the degree of MIDI control is much higher than ANY of the hardware sequencers, and I can use Max to cover the must-be-MIDI stuff.
                  • Nick Rothwell
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 15, 2002
                      > a good way to change patterns during a performance.

                      It has a perfectly good mechanism to change patterns during a
                      performance: the buttons on the front panel...

                      I do see your point (and I use the XL-7 for live work as well,
                      together with Max/MSP for MIDI control). The XL-7 provides as much
                      MIDI control as I need (program changes and volume control in
                      particular), and since I use it as a control surface I don't mind
                      switching patterns directly as well, but if you wanted to sit the XL-7 out
                      of reach more automation would be nice (such as track mute control).

                      Certainly, more automation would be nice for sequencing: the more that
                      can go into the sequencer, the less that you have to fly in or
                      multi-pass by hand.

                      > Hopefully E-mu will eventually address this with an update, but at this point I've given up and decided to try Ableton Live instead.

                      Ableton Live looks interesting, but I've not spent a lot of time with
                      it. Let us know how it turns out as a performance tool.

                      --

                      nick rothwell -- composition, systems, performance -- http://www.cassiel.com
                    • heinrich22001
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 15, 2002
                        See my posting "Emu alive and Kicking..."
                        I really love my mp-7. But I find myself using the computer sequencer
                        way to often, I actually wanted to go away from it. Then again a
                        mophatt would have been enough. I really hope for some new OS-
                        features like real time pattern switching. I wish it had the
                        sequencer guts of the rm1x. I definitely would pay for a further
                        devellopment of the XX-7 OS.

                        Best regards

                        HEinrich

                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 15, 2002
                          --- In xl7@y..., Nick Rothwell <nick@c...> wrote:
                          > > a good way to change patterns during a performance.
                          >
                          > It has a perfectly good mechanism to change patterns during a
                          > performance: the buttons on the front panel...

                          Hmmm? Did I miss something? I'm pretty sure last I checked the only way to select patterns was via the data wheel, but it's been several months. Unless you mean stepping up and down...I want full-on, one-touch random access.

                          > I do see your point (and I use the XL-7 for live work as well,
                          > together with Max/MSP for MIDI control). The XL-7 provides as much
                          > MIDI control as I need (program changes and volume control in
                          > particular), and since I use it as a control surface I don't mind
                          > switching patterns directly as well, but if you wanted to sit the XL-7 out
                          > of reach more automation would be nice (such as track mute control).

                          You're probably not looking to switch patterns as vigorously as I am, but I can see why it would appeal to you as a control surface. And yeah, more track mute control would also be on my list, along with a grid editor that doesn't chase playback.

                          > Ableton Live looks interesting, but I've not spent a lot of time with
                          > it. Let us know how it turns out as a performance tool.

                          Yeah, will do...I know you're adverse to using samples (I'm familiar with some of your work), as am I, but I like the extensive MIDI control it offers.
                        • just john
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 16, 2002
                            >> I do see your point (and I use the XL-7 for live work as well,
                            >> together with Max/MSP for MIDI control).

                            If anybody's whipped up Max/MSP stuff specifically for the XX-7, I'd love
                            to steal a copy.

                            I bought Max/MSP a couple years ago and haven't done very much with it at
                            all ...
                            ---
                            * just-john@... http://just-john.com/cn/rfe.shtml *
                          • Neila Eliphas Spare
                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 16, 2002

                              Hmmm? Did I miss something? I'm pretty sure last I checked the only way to select patterns was via the data wheel, but it's been several months. Unless you mean stepping up and down...I want full-on, one-touch random access.
                              >>Actually you can change patterns via foot pedal as well.

                              You're probably not looking to switch patterns as vigorously as I am, but I can see why it would appeal to you as a control surface. And yeah, more track mute control would also be on my list, along with a grid editor that doesn't chase playback.

                              >>Gotta say I'd like a Grid mode that simply gave one the option to have it chase playback or not to chase playback.  Both modes have their own good and bad points.

                              Respect,
                                   Aaron Nesby
                              www.twenty3.tk

                            • Nick Rothwell
                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 21, 2002
                                > If anybody's whipped up Max/MSP stuff specifically for the XX-7, I'd love
                                > to steal a copy.

                                I've written a simple bank-transfer librarian for the presets in Max;
                                it does the handshaking stuff. I'd like to be able to back up patterns
                                as well, but E-mu have no documentation on this, so sooner or later
                                I'll have to reverse-engineer it.

                                --

                                nick rothwell -- composition, systems, performance -- http://www.cassiel.com