Re: CTRLR.ORG

    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 31, 2013
      My mistake. I thought there was a question implied. Oh well.
      Steve

      --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, Matt <somatt@...> wrote:

      > I don't hear a question.
      > On Aug 29, 2013 12:45 PM, "Julius @ Wikter" <wikter@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > The problem to edit Emu sysex is the way they use 2 comlement and
      > > checksums to send messages. It.s truly shit.
      > > Theres easier hardware to control using sysex.

    • D F Tweedie
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 31, 2013
        Yes, I took it as a bombastic aside. As ignorant as I am of sysex, it may well be true for all I know.

        DF

        My mistake. I thought there was a question implied. Oh well.
        Steve

        --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, Matt <somatt@...> wrote:

        > I don't hear a question.
        > On Aug 29, 2013 12:45 PM, "Julius @ Wikter" <wikter@...> wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > The problem to edit Emu sysex is the way they use 2 comlement and
        > > checksums to send messages. It.s truly shit.
        > > Theres easier hardware to control using sysex.

      • Bruno
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 31, 2013
          2013/8/29 Julius @ Wikter <wikter@...>
          > The problem to edit Emu sysex is the way they use 2 comlement and checksums to send messages. It.s truly shit.
          > Theres easier hardware to control using sysex.

          "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."

          I think there's a plethora of hardware using 2 complements and checksums to send messages. I was able to use hardware controller (namely BCR 2000) to send sysex messages to XL-7 - with a proper checksum - so I would expect that in the software world it would be even easier. If it's not, then maybe CTRLR - being an actively developed software - could benefit from a feature request. Such a request can actually lead to a solution for the mentioned issue. In turn, bashing the existing - and no longer maintaned - hardware doesn't look like a promising way to go.

          Bruno
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 1, 2013
            I guess I can let the secret out--for parameter tweaking and remote control systex, a checksum is NOT needed. And where it is needed, E-Mu provides for a way to ignore the checksum.

            To be fair, the writer was listed as being from Catalonia and the Sysex Manual is written in English--which might have been an obstacle to understanding.

            Neverleless, the post was on the rude side.

            Steve

          • Julius @ Wikter
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 14, 2013

              Well, then maybe could be possible to do a workaround avoiding those checksums and use not only Ctrlr, but also Synthedit to create a decent sysex editor for our CS. Isn't it?
              Synthedit is really easy to program.

              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 14, 2013
                I am confused by your posts. Are you trying to offer help to someone else who asked a question or is trying to solve a problem, or are you wanting to do something yourself--such as create a sysex editor?

                If its the latter and you are an experienced Synthedit developer, I would encourage you to look at the E-Mu Proteus Sysex Manual. You don't need a workaround because its already possible as part of the sysex design. (To me workarounds are needed when something cannot be done using ordinary methods.)

                As for creating a sysex editor with Ctrlr, I would encourage you and others to create panels to do things that go beyond simple preset editing.

                As for Synthedit, I played with it a few years ago, but have not kept up with the newer versions. I don't know if someone has modules that could take advantage of E-Mu's 2-way sysex communication. I thought of Synthedit more as audio software than midi software--although I did create a plug-in that would display midi data from E-Mus in 16 separate windows, one for each channel. (I believe I posted a screen shot of it either in Files or Photos.)

                I hope this answers your question.

                Steve

                --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, "Julius @ Wikter" <wikter@...> wrote:

                > Well, then maybe could be possible to do a workaround avoiding those
                > checksums and use not only Ctrlr, but also Synthedit to create a decent
                > sysex editor for our CS. Isn't it?
                > Synthedit is really easy to program.

                --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, "Julius @ Wikter" <wikter@...> wrote:

                > The problem to edit Emu sysex is the way they use 2 comlement and checksums
                > to send messages. It.s truly shit.
                > Theres easier hardware to control using sysex.

              • wikter
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 16, 2013
                  Last versions of synthedit allows to program knobs to send/receive Midi data. Unfortunately it's not possible to send dumps, but last time I used it sysex messages can be sent & received as long as the host allows midi data to be routed out to midi devices.