Fwd: [p2k] Any interest remaining in a self-programming FLASH SIMM?

  • Bruno
    Message 1 of 95 , Jul 10, 2013

      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: woodsworth1 <woodsworth1@...>
      Date: 2013/7/10
      Subject: [p2k] Any interest remaining in a self-programming FLASH SIMM?
      To: p2k@yahoogroups.com

      Hi.

      Couple years back I started a project to build a FLASH based SIMM for proteus 2000 systems that acted like mulitple SIMMs at the same time. Basically you could put this one SIMM in one socket with the others empty and it could look like you had SIMMs in all 4 sockets. I got pretty far along the path of making it (even getting some PCBs made) when I discovered that I had the pin outs of the microcontroller (that allowed you to program the FLASH devices via a usb connection) wrong and the at the boards were just scrap. I posted a picture of the boards in the group. I was annoyed at myself so I dropped the bundle.

      Well... I was thinking that the idea is still sound (though I wasted a lot of $$) and I could finish it off if there was sufficient interest in the thing.

      What good is it? Well you could have any four ROM SIMMs in you system that you choose. You could reprogram it as you want. And in theory (if we can decode the format of the contents - shouldn't be too hard) you could author your own ROM images and download them , then create your own presets and hard code them onto the device as well. It would be a bit of messing about to achieve the results but if people are prepared to put in the effort...

      so is anyone interested?

    • George G
      Message 95 of 95 , Dec 7, 2014
        These discutions were on the table for years now and no sign in practical side so lets make some real steps further with it...

        Sent from my iPhone

        On 07.12.2014, at 20:39, "Bruno brunorc@... [xl7]" <xl7@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Already have 3 command stations, i will need 12 pieces!

        If I recall correctly, one Flash SIMM would be supposed to act as one, two or four ROMs, so you would only need three.

        That's being said, it's hard to predict anything, since they don't exist yet.

        Bruno