PSU may be going bad

  • intrepidpete
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4, 2013
      Command Station PSU may be going bad. After running for a while, the display starts blinking like the backlight is going out and it keeps saying Loading… I opened it up, then opened up the PSU cage, looking for "slightly burned" looking resistors and/or "bulging/leaking" capacitors, but could not find anything - visually it looks fine.

      It is now running fine, but I don't want to leave it on for more than a few hours, just in case the issue is related to over-heating or something about it being left on for a long time. It is tricky because when I needed to work on my plasma TV, the bad capacitors were pretty obvious - slightly bulging on top. But with the CS, I don't see anything that needs to be replaced.
    • dutchbeats
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 5, 2013
        moderate use seemed to cure my cs of a few psu symptoms. the last time it wouldn't start up was over two years ago (fingers crossed)

        i was in touch with epr electronics and he says if you send in multiple psu's for repair he will only charge the bench fee once which is nice to know

        --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, "intrepidpete" <peteflagg@...> wrote:

        > Command Station PSU may be going bad. After running for a while, the display starts blinking like the backlight is going out and it keeps saying Loading… I opened it up, then opened up the PSU cage, looking for "slightly burned" looking resistors and/or "bulging/leaking" capacitors, but could not find anything - visually it looks fine.
        >
        > It is now running fine, but I don't want to leave it on for more than a few hours, just in case the issue is related to over-heating or something about it being left on for a long time. It is tricky because when I needed to work on my plasma TV, the bad capacitors were pretty obvious - slightly bulging on top. But with the CS, I don't see anything that needs to be replaced.

      • ackack1020
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 8, 2013
          Annual EMU CS PSU Repair Gathering at EPR!

          OP, I found that killing all power to the unit helps keep it from getting confused. I use the hard on-off switch only and have no problems with lost data or weird behavior.

          Best.