Help needed for easy change of midi notes

  • stefan
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 22, 2013
      Hello everybody!
      I like to sketch out my tracks on the XL-7 and then sequence my sampler (Emu Esynth) with the XL-7. I got my samples organized in 128s, one sample on each note. So I'm wondering if there's an easy way to browse thru my samples by changing the midi notes of a track (especially individual drum tracks).

      Any feedback will be highly appreciated! :-)

      SB
    • Bruno
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 22, 2013
        You can transpose contents of selected tracks in a pattern, also specifying the range (so only certain notes would get transposed).

        XL-7 manual, Rev. G, page 86.

        Bruno

        2013/3/22 stefan <nyatollah@...>
        Hello everybody!
        I like to sketch out my tracks on the XL-7 and then sequence my sampler (Emu Esynth) with the XL-7. I got my samples organized in 128s, one sample on each note. So I'm wondering if there's an easy way to browse thru my samples by changing the midi notes of a track (especially individual drum tracks).

        Any feedback will be highly appreciated! :-)

        SB

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            xl7-digest@yahoogroups.com
            xl7-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • stefan
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 22, 2013
          Thanks, Bruno. I know about transposing, but in that case I actually have to commit first in order to hear the kick in its context, for example. What I'm wondering is if there's a way to sort of scroll thru midi notes assigned to different kick drums for example, listen to the pattern of the kick drum, in the context of the track and THEN commit. I'm not sure if I made myself clear...

          SB

          --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, Bruno <brunorc@...> wrote:

          > You can transpose contents of selected tracks in a pattern, also specifying
          > the range (so only certain notes would get transposed).
          >
          > XL-7 manual, Rev. G, page 86.
          >
          > Bruno
          >

          > 2013/3/22 stefan <nyatollah@...>
          >
          > > Hello everybody!
          > > I like to sketch out my tracks on the XL-7 and then sequence my sampler
          > > (Emu Esynth) with the XL-7. I got my samples organized in 128s, one sample
          > > on each note. So I'm wondering if there's an easy way to browse thru my
          > > samples by changing the midi notes of a track (especially individual drum
          > > tracks).
          > >
          > > Any feedback will be highly appreciated! :-)
          > >
          > > SB

        • Bruno
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 22, 2013
            Yes, you did.

            Actually, pattern editing is a two-phase commit, so you can save your pattern, transpose some stuff, and if you don't like it - restore the pattern to the saved version, or save it. A bit of hassle, but still with the possibility to revert bad edit.

            HTH,

            Bruno

            2013/3/22 stefan <nyatollah@...>
            Thanks, Bruno. I know about transposing, but in that case I actually have to commit first in order to hear the kick in its context, for example. What I'm wondering is if there's a way to sort of scroll thru midi notes assigned to different kick drums for example, listen to the pattern of the kick drum, in the context of the track and THEN commit. I'm not sure if I made myself clear...

            SB

            --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, Bruno <brunorc@...> wrote:

            > You can transpose contents of selected tracks in a pattern, also specifying
            > the range (so only certain notes would get transposed).
            >
            > XL-7 manual, Rev. G, page 86.
            >
            > Bruno
            >

            > 2013/3/22 stefan <nyatollah@...>
            >
            > > Hello everybody!
            > > I like to sketch out my tracks on the XL-7 and then sequence my sampler
            > > (Emu Esynth) with the XL-7. I got my samples organized in 128s, one sample
            > > on each note. So I'm wondering if there's an easy way to browse thru my
            > > samples by changing the midi notes of a track (especially individual drum
            > > tracks).
            > >
            > > Any feedback will be highly appreciated! :-)
            > >
            > > SB

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                xl7-digest@yahoogroups.com
                xl7-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • dutchbeats
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 22, 2013
              a shortcut for restoring a pattern is to instead skip to an adjacent pattern, press record, then skip back to your pattern and it will be restored

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 23, 2013
                Not sure if this applies, but for each pattern I created I used to copy it to >at least< one adjacent pattern. That way if I messed up a pattern horribly, I could just overwrite it with one of the saved copies.

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 23, 2013
                  I am not sure I understand your workflow, but that may be me (not your explanation). Here's what I think hear you saying:

                  You record a pattern and then you want to play the pattern back, changing the midi note of an instrument >>already recorded<< so you can year how different external samples sound in the context of the track.

                  If so, here's one method you could try:

                  In Pattern Edit Mode, go to the note editor screen, dial up the note you want to edit, then change it.

                  T02 NOTE <-> 001.01.002
                  press enter to view/edit
                  [This will place the track into the note editor]

                  T02 NOTE <-> 001.02.001
                  C02 C#4 v:64 dur:00.032

                  Place the cursor under the <-> to scroll through the pattern.
                  Place the cursor under the note name to scroll through the notes [external samples] you want to test in context.

                  To go through 128 samples/midi notes, depending on the length of the track and the number of times you use that note.

                  Perhaps you can use the TEMPORARY BAR REGION feature to isolate a section at a time.

                  TEMPORARY BAR REGION
                  on From:2 Thru: 2

                  I am not sure if there is a way you can change >>every instance<< of a note in a pattern globally, if that's what you are looking to do.

                  Hope this helps.

                  Steve

                  > 2013/3/22 stefan <nyatollah@...>

                  [snip]

                  > What I'm wondering is if there's a way to sort of scroll thru
                  > midi notes assigned to different kick drums for example, listen
                  > to the pattern of the kick drum, in the context of the track and
                  > THEN commit.

                  [snip]

                  2013/3/22 stefan <nyatollah@>

                  [snip]

                  > So I'm wondering if there's an easy way to browse thru my
                  > samples by changing the midi notes of a track (especially
                  > individual drum tracks).

                  [snip]
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 23, 2013
                    Typos corrected:

                    NOT: Here's what I think hear you saying:
                    THIS: Here's what I think I hear you saying:

                    NOT: To go through 128 samples/midi notes, depending on the length of the track and the number of times you use that note.
                    THIS: To go through 128 samples/midi notes, depending on the length of the track and the number of times you use that note, will probably take a while.

                    Apologies for these and other typos.

                    --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, "steve_the_composer" <smw-mail@...> wrote:

                    > I am not sure I understand your workflow, but that may be me (not your explanation). Here's what I think hear you saying:
                    >
                    > You record a pattern and then you want to play the pattern back, changing the midi note of an instrument >>already recorded<< so you can year how different external samples sound in the context of the track.
                    >
                    > If so, here's one method you could try:
                    >
                    > In Pattern Edit Mode, go to the note editor screen, dial up the note you want to edit, then change it.
                    >
                    > T02 NOTE <-> 001.01.002
                    > press enter to view/edit
                    > [This will place the track into the note editor]
                    >
                    > T02 NOTE <-> 001.02.001
                    > C02 C#4 v:64 dur:00.032
                    >
                    > Place the cursor under the <-> to scroll through the pattern.
                    > Place the cursor under the note name to scroll through the notes [external samples] you want to test in context.
                    >
                    > To go through 128 samples/midi notes, depending on the length of the track and the number of times you use that note.
                    >
                    > Perhaps you can use the TEMPORARY BAR REGION feature to isolate a section at a time.
                    >
                    > TEMPORARY BAR REGION
                    > on From:2 Thru: 2
                    >
                    > I am not sure if there is a way you can change >>every instance<< of a note in a pattern globally, if that's what you are looking to do.
                    >
                    > Hope this helps.
                    >
                    > Steve
                    >

                    > > 2013/3/22 stefan <nyatollah@>
                    >
                    > [snip]
                    >
                    > > What I'm wondering is if there's a way to sort of scroll thru
                    > > midi notes assigned to different kick drums for example, listen
                    > > to the pattern of the kick drum, in the context of the track and
                    > > THEN commit.
                    >
                    > [snip]
                    >
                    > 2013/3/22 stefan <nyatollah@>
                    >
                    > [snip]
                    >
                    > > So I'm wondering if there's an easy way to browse thru my
                    > > samples by changing the midi notes of a track (especially
                    > > individual drum tracks).
                    >
                    > [snip]

                  • stefan
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 25, 2013
                      Thanks Steve, Bruno and Dutch for your help.
                      I'll try out Steve's method. Looks like it could work. I'll report back asap.