Re: Return effect in stereo?

    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 25, 2013
      Apologies if in my tiredness I misinterpreted the question. (It has been known to happen!) I thought the intent was to take a mono fx pedal signal which was put back into the command station and have the command station somehow convert it to stereo.

      > > is there any program/menu option to play mono return as a stereo?"

      I took this to mean that nikisanpsix already knew how to return the signal from the pedal through the subs via a trs cable and wanted to somehow convert the mono fx signal signal into stereo.

      To me the obvious answer is to send the mono out of the fx pedal (think "Y" cable) into both the left and right return of the command station. As I understand it, doing that would sum the command station's stereo out with the mono in on both the left and right command station outs.

      Although I thought of that, I didn't think that's what nikisanpsix was wanting to do as it is not really converting a mono in to stereo. Rather, it is using the command station's returns to create a passive mixer--something I do regularly.

      I stand corrected. I hope this helps explain how to do it.

      Steve

      --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, Matt wrote:

      > Yes but you can use the insert jacks to do what he's talking about?
      > On Jan 25, 2013 1:40 PM, "steve_the_composer" wrote:
      >

      > > You cannot put external audio through the synth engine or FX chips.
      > > Steve
      > >
      > > --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, "nikitsanpsix" wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi!
      > > > I trying to use external delay guitar pedal with command station.
      > > > How can I return signal to stereo into CS? is there any program/menu
      > > option to play mono return as a stereo?
      > > > Many thanks for your responses )

    • Matt
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 25, 2013

        I thought he just wanted to use his external fx without a mixer, but I'm not sure either. OP please clarify?

        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 25, 2013
          Uh oh. I think I may have outlasted my usefulness here. I understand everything you say here, Matt, but in my old age I cannot wrap my head around how this converts a mono return into stereo. Perhaps I will take up the recorder again and leave the complexities of synths to others.

          Oh well. Its been fun.

          Steve_the_recorder_player

          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 25, 2013

            It doesn't. That isn't possible.

            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 25, 2013

              you could split but it still wouldn't be stereo

            • D F Tweedie
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 25, 2013
                A thorough and 'nuanced' explication by the 'technical' guru!

                DF

                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 25, 2013

                  Haha I love this list. (Not to mention my cs)

                  On Jan 25, 2013 5:56 PM, "D F Tweedie" <bienpegaito@...> wrote:

                  A thorough and 'nuanced' explication by the 'technical' guru!

                  DF

                  Apologies if in my tiredness I misinterpreted the question. (It has been known to happen!) I thought the intent was to take a mono fx pedal signal which was put back into the command station and have the command station somehow convert it to stereo.

                  > > is there any program/menu option to play mono return as a stereo?"

                  I took this to mean that nikisanpsix already knew how to return the signal from the pedal through the subs via a trs cable and wanted to somehow convert the mono fx signal signal into stereo.

                  To me the obvious answer is to send the mono out of the fx pedal (think "Y" cable) into both the left and right return of the command station. As I understand it, doing that would sum the command station's stereo out with the mono in on both the left and right command station outs.

                  Although I thought of that, I didn't think that's what nikisanpsix was wanting to do as it is not really converting a mono in to stereo. Rather, it is using the command station's returns to create a passive mixer--something I do regularly.

                  I stand corrected. I hope this helps explain how to do it.

                  Steve

                  --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, Matt wrote:

                  > Yes but you can use the insert jacks to do what he's talking about?
                  > On Jan 25, 2013 1:40 PM, "steve_the_composer" wrote:
                  >

                  > > You cannot put external audio through the synth engine or FX chips.
                  > > Steve
                  > >
                  > > --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, "nikitsanpsix" wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Hi!
                  > > > I trying to use external delay guitar pedal with command station.
                  > > > How can I return signal to stereo into CS? is there any program/menu
                  > > option to play mono return as a stereo?
                  > > > Many thanks for your responses )

                • nikitsanpsix
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 26, 2013
                    yes! but mono FX

                    --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, Matt wrote:

                    > I thought he just wanted to use his external fx without a mixer, but I'm
                    > not sure either. OP please clarify?

                  • nikitsanpsix
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jan 26, 2013
                      Ok. I understend

                      Message 10 of 25 , Jan 26, 2013
                        Thanks to all for answers to the Board.

                        the result is that it can be achieved only by using the stereo output of your mixer or guitar pedals and connecting them to returns of (both) L and R subouts.
                      • Matt
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jan 26, 2013

                          Whatever happened to the guy that was making hacked roms to load ur own samples via usb?

                          You cannot put external audio through the synth engine or FX chips. There are a lot of us folks who wish you could. Sorry.

                          Message 12 of 25 , Jan 26, 2013
                            No. Silence :-(

                            Message 13 of 25 , Jan 26, 2013

                              This is how I usually run kaoss pad,  stereo compressor, or other effects. Its pretty flexible, with a hardware compressor u can even get CS to do paralell compression without a mixer.

                              Message 14 of 25 , Jan 26, 2013
                                can you tell about this in detail?

                                --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, Matt wrote:

                                > This is how I usually run kaoss pad, stereo compressor, or other effects.
                                > Its pretty flexible, with a hardware compressor u can even get CS to do
                                > paralell compression without a mixer.
                                > On Jan 26, 2013 12:24 AM, "nikitsanpsix" wrote:
                                >
                                > > **
                                > >

                                > > Thanks to all for answers to the Board.
                                > >
                                > > the result is that it can be achieved only by using the stereo output of
                                > > your mixer or guitar pedals and connecting them to returns of (both) L and
                                > > R subouts.

                              • Matt
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jan 26, 2013

                                  I've been taking out a sampler of some sort to team up with the CS and triggering sounds via midi bc sometimes the cs sounds a bit thin by itself, but I would love to not have to do that anymore.
                                  I found roland sp series works well and so does emu rack samplers or ensoniq mirage etc but these are getting dated. a computer with ableton or other daw/sampler will also do the trick and can be very awesome depending on if you're willing to deal with software things and bit of latency involved ;)
                                  Recently I have been triggering traktor cue points during dj sets with the 8 lower pads of the emu as cues, pitch bend as track position scrub and channel 1-4 as deck 1-4

                                  No. Silence :-(

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jan 26, 2013
                                    I you send/returns for parallel compression to, but I found litle timing diferences (latency, phasing issues) when trying to compress kickdrum. How did you do this?
                                    And how is KP3 as a FX processor? Is it good for IDM patterns?

                                    --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, Matt wrote:

                                    > This is how I usually run kaoss pad, stereo compressor, or other effects.
                                    > Its pretty flexible, with a hardware compressor u can even get CS to do
                                    > paralell compression without a mixer.
                                    > On Jan 26, 2013 12:24 AM, "nikitsanpsix" wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > **
                                    > >

                                    > > Thanks to all for answers to the Board.
                                    > >
                                    > > the result is that it can be achieved only by using the stereo output of
                                    > > your mixer or guitar pedals and connecting them to returns of (both) L and
                                    > > R subouts.

                                  • Matt
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jan 26, 2013

                                      Paralell compression in short It involves sending the signal from a channel to !both! the sub 1 out !and! the main out while compressing the sub 1 out as an insert with a hardware compressor and bringing back in to sub 1 return, then adjusting compression and gain structures to taste.

                                      On Jan 26, 2013 12:33 AM, "nikitsanpsix" <nikitsan@...> wrote:

                                      can you tell about this in detail?

                                      --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, Matt wrote:

                                      > This is how I usually run kaoss pad, stereo compressor, or other effects.
                                      > Its pretty flexible, with a hardware compressor u can even get CS to do
                                      > paralell compression without a mixer.
                                      > On Jan 26, 2013 12:24 AM, "nikitsanpsix" wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > **
                                      > >

                                      > > Thanks to all for answers to the Board.
                                      > >
                                      > > the result is that it can be achieved only by using the stereo output of
                                      > > your mixer or guitar pedals and connecting them to returns of (both) L and
                                      > > R subouts.

                                    • Matt
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jan 26, 2013

                                        Kp3 is an awesome effects processor I wish I had 3 of them.