Re: [xl7] Real Time Controller Knobs Pot setting

  • Bruno
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 23, 2013
      As far as I know - not. I wanted to write "no, because those are pots, not encoders", but then I figured out that my Novation KS5 has pots, which can be configured to act in a "jump" mode.

      However, on XL-7 you have another feature: there's a small LED next to the knob, which lids when you change the value, and goes off when you reach the original value again.

      I don't know what the pass-through mode is, but with the use of patchcords you can configure the preset itself to use the pot in the offset (relative) mode.

      Bruno

      2013/1/23 igrovo <igrovo@...>
      I'm a self confessed nube on the XL7 so please forgive me if this is an easy one. On my Virus B and MEK there are settings for the Potentiometers for adjusting how they react as they are changed. On my MEK I have pass through, relative and jump options for how the knobs affect the settings as they are turned. Does the XL7 have such options?

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          xl7-digest@yahoogroups.com
          xl7-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 23, 2013
        I am not familiar with the Virus B or MEK, so I cannot comment on comparisons. My instinct is to say no, you cannot program the actual knobs themselves. Like any CC control, they sweep from a minimum value to a maximum value as you turn the knobs clockwise. Lets say that's from 000 to 127 (or maybe from 0% to 100%). You cannot program >>the knobs<< to not do anything until it is turned 1/2 up from min and then go from value X to value Y. Nor can you program >>a knob<< to ignore its being turned until it reaches the last value it was on and then start affecting sound parameters.

        That being said, in each preset (what other gear calls a patch), you can program the P2K >>synth engine<< to do all kinds of things with a whole bunch of parameter sources, destinations, and amounts. (Take a look at any P2K E-Mu box manual for a list of the patchcord sources and destinations.)

        Globally, the knobs (MidiA --> MidiP) are assigned CC numbers. Then either internally (turning the knobs) or externally (sending midi data) you change the sound parameters as you have designed a preset using the virtual patchcords. (I believe there are some examples in the FAQs here (files section). Also, I seem to recall discussions of various programming ideas in the group's archives.)

        To take a simple example, you can assign MidiA to all 4 layers of a preset to FilterFreq with a value of +100. Or you can assign MidiA to all 4 layers with a value of -100. Or you can assign 2 layers a value of -100 and 2 layers to +100. (Yes, its a very super simple example.)

        This is an oversimplification, but I hope it shows the relationship between the 4 x 4 knobs and how they can be used for sound modification.

        I hope this helps clarify what the knobs can and can't do.

        Steve

        > 2013/1/23 igrovo
        >
        > > I'm a self confessed nube on the XL7 so please forgive me if this is an
        > > easy one. On my Virus B and MEK there are settings for the Potentiometers
        > > for adjusting how they react as they are changed. On my MEK I have pass
        > > through, relative and jump options for how the knobs affect the settings as
        > > they are turned. Does the XL7 have such options?

      • igrovo
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 24, 2013
          Thanks Bruno and Steve for you responses. I will look into the patchcords that you both mention to see what I can do with those. The main reason I was asking is because as I'm playing a song and switching from changing the volume on the pots to changing the filter etc with the pots and then possibly even changing tracks as well I would like to have a smooth transition of values instead of the pot jumping to some possible extreme value. Since I don't see any way to read the value of a pot other than with the red led Bruno mentioned I don't know where the pot is in relation to the current value and as a result may make an extreme change in the value when only a slight one is needed.

          --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, "steve_the_composer" wrote:

          > I am not familiar with the Virus B or MEK, so I cannot comment on comparisons. My instinct is to say no, you cannot program the actual knobs themselves. Like any CC control, they sweep from a minimum value to a maximum value as you turn the knobs clockwise. Lets say that's from 000 to 127 (or maybe from 0% to 100%). You cannot program >>the knobs<< to not do anything until it is turned 1/2 up from min and then go from value X to value Y. Nor can you program >>a knob<< to ignore its being turned until it reaches the last value it was on and then start affecting sound parameters.
          >
          > That being said, in each preset (what other gear calls a patch), you can program the P2K >>synth engine<< to do all kinds of things with a whole bunch of parameter sources, destinations, and amounts. (Take a look at any P2K E-Mu box manual for a list of the patchcord sources and destinations.)
          >
          > Globally, the knobs (MidiA --> MidiP) are assigned CC numbers. Then either internally (turning the knobs) or externally (sending midi data) you change the sound parameters as you have designed a preset using the virtual patchcords. (I believe there are some examples in the FAQs here (files section). Also, I seem to recall discussions of various programming ideas in the group's archives.)
          >
          > To take a simple example, you can assign MidiA to all 4 layers of a preset to FilterFreq with a value of +100. Or you can assign MidiA to all 4 layers with a value of -100. Or you can assign 2 layers a value of -100 and 2 layers to +100. (Yes, its a very super simple example.)
          >
          > This is an oversimplification, but I hope it shows the relationship between the 4 x 4 knobs and how they can be used for sound modification.
          >
          > I hope this helps clarify what the knobs can and can't do.
          >
          > Steve
          >

          > > 2013/1/23 igrovo
          > >
          > > > I'm a self confessed nube on the XL7 so please forgive me if this is an
          > > > easy one. On my Virus B and MEK there are settings for the Potentiometers
          > > > for adjusting how they react as they are changed. On my MEK I have pass
          > > > through, relative and jump options for how the knobs affect the settings as
          > > > they are turned. Does the XL7 have such options?

        • Greg Waltzer
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 24, 2013
            Better to use the programmable settings for the knobs, then assign the
            functions you will use in the same song to different knobs.
            Of course you still may have the problem that the knob starts at a
            different position than the parameter you want to control.
            I deal with this by always using them for volume and always starting at
            zero. I control filters and other parameters from the knobs on my keyboard.

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 24, 2013
              Hi,

              2013/1/24 igrovo <igrovo@...>
              > as I'm playing a song and switching from changing the volume on the pots to changing the filter etc with the pots and then possibly even changing tracks as well I would like to have a smooth transition of values instead of the pot jumping to some possible extreme value.

              If it's not an issue, I would shell out 80€ for Behringer BCR-2000. It gives you a vast array of fully configurable MIDI encoders, and apart from this has really vivid community here, on yahoo groups. You can really bend it beyond your imagination (the only impossible thing I know is making multiple controls aware of their values), and it's even able to send complex SysEx messages (up to 125 bytes).

              Plus, MOAR GEAR!! Erm, sorry...

              Bruno (recovering gear slut)