help using sub outs

  • D F Tweedie
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2012
      (Cross-posted on XL7 and P2K forums)

      I'm sure this has come up a zillion times ... but I can't seem to get it straight in my head. There may be something wrong with my head, but as it's the only one I've got I still need to work it through.

      I've read back and forth in the BF 377 page PK7 manual ... but it seems everything cross-references something else without ever putting the pedal to metal.

      All I want to do is assign Sub 1 to midi channel 2 and Sub 2 to midi channel 3, so whatever is triggered on those channels in midi multimode will come out as dry, individual voices.

      I went to the Global/ Mix Output page and set Midi Channel 2 to Send 2 (which said Sub 1), but I didn't get output ... except the effect of the preset coming out the Main.

      I went and reduced the send amount, the effect went away, but I was still faintly hearing the dry sound out of the Main, but not the Sub.

      I was doing this using the track buttons on a performance.

      OK, so, do I have this setup right, but it doesn't work with the track trigger buttons somehow; or, do I have it setup right, but there is something else wrong with my audio routing; or, am I missing something in the setup?

      Any help greatly appreciated.

      DF

    • Matt

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 1, 2012
          Matt ...

          What I meant was I was using the track button for what I assumed was midi on channel 2 (top row, second from the left). I had Channel 02A selected in the Global/ Mix Output window.

          I 'muted' all the other tracks while a pattern was playing. I just clicked that button off and on for output.

          It seemed to be correct, because when I went to the FX Send window and changed the send amount on Send 2, the output from the Main changed to dry.

          DF

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 1, 2012
              Matt ...

              It looks like I was doing it right ... just hadn't gotten the routing worked out.

              Two further questions, please.

              If I lower the send amount in the Global menu for the midi channels I plan to use with subs 1 and 2 ... so the effect is no longer coming through on the main, am I good to go for all patches, or do I have to reset to 0% each time I use a new patch on those channels?

              Also, does using the subs also mess with other midi tracks routed out the mains as far as any patch FX goes?

              Ideally I'd like to keep the patches with all programmed FX coming out the mains and use the subs for dry voices ... so I could have three different audio output pairs set up.

              I guess I could actually use the subs mono and get four separate dry outputs by setting the pan hard right and hard left for a pair of midi channels, right?

              Thanks.

              DF

              It would be nice