  • D F Tweedie
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1, 2012
      How do you send the internal midi used for the arps and beats out (or thru ?) to trigger other instruments in the Command Stations?

      I see a menu to set that up in the P2K/ 1K family under Arps in the manual ... but I cannot find the same thing in the proteus.

      Also, on beats when you are using the real time controllers to change the 'busyness' or 'number of instruments' of the beat preset, does any one know how many gradations of each of those parameters there actually are? I'd like to know so I could set up a midi controller to trigger the different 'busyness' patterns based upon the CC and a value range.

      Thanks.

      DF

    • Bruno
      Message 2 of 12 , May 1, 2012
        W dniu 1 maja 2012 09:40 użytkownik D F Tweedie <bienpegaito@...> napisał:
        > How do you send the internal midi used for the arps and beats out (or thru ?) to trigger other instruments in the Command Stations?

        Yes, you have the same setting "Transmit both" in the Arps menu - XL-7
        manual, rev. G, page 255.
        Message 3 of 12 , May 1, 2012
          If by proteus you mean the p2k, I believe it depends on your OS. I am not sure when arps and beats were added. I was under the impression that although the original P2K ROM didn't have arps or beats on the ROM itself, later OSes added the ability to have user arp pattens. Perhaps ask about that in the p2k group.

          I once tried to map CCs to some of the beat functions, but it was quite complex. I seem to recall that patchcord amount affected how the CCs changed things around. I am not at my gear right now so I can't test it.

          Steve

          Message 4 of 12 , May 1, 2012
            Re: BusyBts, see http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/xl7/message/13650.

            Message 5 of 12 , May 1, 2012
              Steve and Bruno ... I misspoke. I meant to ask in the P2.5K not the P2K. I looked in the P2.5K manual for the 'transmit' section in the Arp menu and couldn't find it ... but if it's in the XL-7 (and presumable all the Command Stations), it must be there also. I'll wade through the screens to see what I come up with.

              DF

              Message 6 of 12 , May 1, 2012
                Dang, Steve ... don't retire any time soon!  Did you search the archives or did you have a 'foggy recollection' or, better yet, just a photographic memory.

                I don't know if I'm more grateful or more impressed.

                Overwhelmed,

                DF

                Message 7 of 12 , May 1, 2012
                  Steve,

                  I just pawned my soul for a Planet Earth. Yes, I'm ashamed to admit I'm one of those guys helping keep those inflated prices up there.

                  Anyway, it does have beats and it is OS 1.31. And the 'beats' and transmitting them via midi is in the manual ... so it's not due to an OS upgrade.

                  Since Planet Earth, a P1K, is presumably a P2K in all but ROM slots, number of voices and outputs, I must imagine that Beats was in the P2K as well ... but that's based upon deductive reasoning, not documented fact.

                  DF

                  Message 8 of 12 , May 1, 2012
                    I am happy to say that the 'ARP/ RIFF MIDI OUT' menu option page is in my P2500 ... but that page is not mentioned or described in the Proteus 2500 Revision E Manual Arp menu section ... or any where in the index or table of contents I can locate.

                    It is in the PX-7 manual Revision A Arp Menu section on page 253 and cross referenced in both the index and table of contents.

                    I wonder if it was a later OS upgrade in the P2500 ... and how many owners might not realize it's there.

                    DF

                    > How do you send the internal midi used for the arps and beats out (or thru ?) to trigger other instruments in the Command Stations?

                    Yes, you have the same setting "Transmit both" in the Arps menu - XL-7
                    manual, rev. G, page 255.

                    <*> Your email settings:
                        Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                        (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:
                        xl7-digest@yahoogroups.com
                        xl7-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    Message 9 of 12 , May 1, 2012
                      Hmmmmm. I wonder where my P2500 manual is? My P2500 came with something like OS 1.18.

                      I do know that some of the upgrades OS 1.31 or OS 1.32 and OS 2.0 had addendas that I have printed out somewhere. I am curious to see if the ARP/RIFF MIDI OUT parameter is mentioned in one of those.

                      I could not find it in the P2500 Rev. B manual. However, the Command Station Operation Manual Addendum for OS 2.00 states the following in a section called Manual Additions:

                      "These two features, located in the Arpeggiator menu, were inadvertantly ommitted from the manual and so we have included them here." The two features are the ARP/RIFF MIDI OUT setting and the MIDI SONG START setting.

                      This seems to mean that the features were not new with OS 2.00, but they were just not described in manuals prior to OS 2.00. From the looks of it, Rev E of the P2500 manual seems to have come out before the omission was corrected.

                      Message 10 of 12 , May 1, 2012
                        Congrats for the Planet Earth!! I have heard good things about it.

                        Looking at the Command Station Operation Manual Addendum for OS 1.31, that seems to be when Beats was added. I thought the original P2K predated that. The CMPSR ROM I picked up from doesn't have arp patterns or BTS riffs.

                        Interesting that the Planet Earth manual has beats in it. The XL-1 also has beats. I though I saw a website that has the chronology of the different modules. It might be interesting to compare those dates with dates of the OS releases and the dates of the various manual revisions (if those dates were available) for each of the modules.

                        (E-Mu had so many variations, who can keep track of them all? I can't!!)

                        Message 11 of 12 , May 1, 2012
                          LOL!!!!

                          Though my brain has been doing automatic housecleaning, I do remember participating in and/or reading about discussions and generally I can figure out a relatively unique key word to do the search. In this case it was a definite recollection of a specific discussion combined with a key word that is not discussed often (BusyBeats/BusyBts). Sometimes with a topic that has been discussed more frequently, I will include the name of a participant in the search. When the list is long, I usually can naroow it down by time (about 6 months ago, 3-4 years ago, etc.)

                          I know, I know--a magician isn't supposed to explain how tricks are done. Just forget what I explained above. You are getting sleepy . . . .

                          Anyhow--thanks.

                          Message 12 of 12 , May 1, 2012
                            Here you go ...

                            http://www.creative.com/emu/company/history/