Re: Command Station Overhaul

  • scodoha04
    Message 1 of 27 , Dec 1, 2010
      ...both or all of those might work. The exact replacement is at the previously mentioned site.

      --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, "dutchbeats" <dutchbeats@...> wrote:

      > or this one
      > <http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=P10860\
      > -ND> ? also forgot to mention these
      > <http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/E-Switch/TL1105TF160Q/?qs=YXf4ACKMM4\
      > yXTDcNlL%2f%252bWQ%3d%3d> are the proper tact switches(had to search
      > for a while to find the only post in the group to mention it). maybe we
      > can start a database about switches, encoders etc that are compatible.
      >

      > --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, "dutchbeats" <dutchbeats@> wrote:
      > >
      > > will this encoder
      > >
      > <http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Bourns/PEC12-2217F-N0024/?qs=sGAEpiM\
      > \
      > > ZZMukHu%252bjC5l7YYGBZR7kDV9/7zekKtuDXTw=> work? i too would like to
      > > know about the squishy factor btw...
      > >

      > > --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, "scodoha04" douglas.harvey@ wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Here's a front panel that takes in a lot of repair. Don't know about
      > > the squishy factor....
      > > >

      > http://www.eprelectronics.com/store/html/Products/E-mu-Drum-machine~Comm\
      > \
      > > a/E-mu-Command-Stations/PCBA-front-panel-right--57.html

      > > flakey as well as the track 14 button.

      > > it an overhaul to increase performance. I am not worried about
      > > improving the appearance or care much if it detracts either. I want
      > my
      > > machine to work a bit smoother.

      > > some that changed out the display. Are there parts on the market?
      > What
      > > values do replacements need to have? Anyone know a good tech on the
      > > east coast (Philly/ NYC) that could perform the surgery?

      > > definitely want to replace the tempo button with something a little
      > > squishier so I could drum out the tempo. The main encoder wheel
      > > definitely needs to be replaced. It works fine, but is a bit jumpy.
      > > The cursor buttons and the track/trigger buttons need to be replaced.
      > > If I am doing those I might just do all "clicky" buttons.

      > > current feel, but I do not want to sacrifice too much precision
      > > (squishier but not too squishy).

    • bobsvitilla
      Message 2 of 27 , Dec 1, 2010
        Thanks a million, the command station users community rocks.

        So, that takes care of the electronics. Now I need to hunt down proper pads/button covers and a tech that can do the work. I will report back and let you know how it's going.

        For button covers, I am thinking a single sheet of clear molded silicone. Or maybe a couple, one for each zone. It would also seal it up a bit and help protect it from dust and liquids.

      • Matt
        Message 3 of 27 , Dec 1, 2010

          What about eprelectronics in Florida

          On Dec 1, 2010 8:22 AM, "bobsvitilla" <bobsvitilla@...> wrote:
          > Thanks a million, the command station users community rocks.
          >
          > So, that takes care of the electronics. Now I need to hunt down proper pads/button covers and a tech that can do the work. I will report back and let you know how it's going.
          >
          > For button covers, I am thinking a single sheet of clear molded silicone. Or maybe a couple, one for each zone. It would also seal it up a bit and help protect it from dust and liquids.
          >

          > --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, "scodoha04" <douglas.harvey@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> ...both or all of those might work. The exact replacement is at the previously mentioned site.
          >>
          >> --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, "dutchbeats" <dutchbeats@> wrote:
          >> >
          >> > or this one
          >> > <http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=P10860\
          >> > -ND> ? also forgot to mention these
          >> > <http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/E-Switch/TL1105TF160Q/?qs=YXf4ACKMM4\
          >> > yXTDcNlL%2f%252bWQ%3d%3d> are the proper tact switches(had to search
          >> > for a while to find the only post in the group to mention it). maybe we
          >> > can start a database about switches, encoders etc that are compatible.

          >> > <http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Bourns/PEC12-2217F-N0024/?qs=sGAEpiM\
          >> > \

          >> > http://www.eprelectronics.com/store/html/Products/E-mu-Drum-machine~Comm\
          >> > \

          >> > my

          >> > What

        • Aaron Eppolito
          Message 4 of 27 , Dec 13, 2010
            Be very careful -- there's more than just four contacts under each pad. There's
            also an IR emitter/receiver pair that senses velocity. The material and color
            of the underside of the pads was a very important design point. They're red
            under there because that was what reflected best. Put another way, if you don't
            match the color and reflectivity, you might no longer have velocity sensitive
            and aftertouch pads.

            -Aaron

            Thanks a million, the command station users community rocks.

            So, that takes care of the electronics. Now I need to hunt down proper
            pads/button covers and a tech that can do the work. I will report back and let
            you know how it's going.

            For button covers, I am thinking a single sheet of clear molded silicone. Or
            maybe a couple, one for each zone. It would also seal it up a bit and help
            protect it from dust and liquids.

            --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, "scodoha04" <douglas.harvey@...> wrote:

            > ...both or all of those might work. The exact replacement is at the previously
            >mentioned site.
            >
            > --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, "dutchbeats" <dutchbeats@> wrote:
            > >
            > > or this one
            > > <http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=P10860\
            > > -ND> ? also forgot to mention these
            > > <http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/E-Switch/TL1105TF160Q/?qs=YXf4ACKMM4\
            > > yXTDcNlL%2f%252bWQ%3d%3d> are the proper tact switches(had to search
            > > for a while to find the only post in the group to mention it). maybe we
            > > can start a database about switches, encoders etc that are compatible.
            > >

            > > --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, "dutchbeats" <dutchbeats@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > will this encoder
            > > >
            > > <http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Bourns/PEC12-2217F-N0024/?qs=sGAEpiM\
            > > \
            > > > ZZMukHu%252bjC5l7YYGBZR7kDV9/7zekKtuDXTw=> work? i too would like to
            > > > know about the squishy factor btw...

            > > > the squishy factor....
            > > > >

            > > http://www.eprelectronics.com/store/html/Products/E-mu-Drum-machine~Comm\
            > > \
            > > > a/E-mu-Command-Stations/PCBA-front-panel-right--57.html

            > > > flakey as well as the track 14 button.

            > > > it an overhaul to increase performance. I am not worried about
            > > > improving the appearance or care much if it detracts either. I want
            > > my
            > > > machine to work a bit smoother.

            > > > some that changed out the display. Are there parts on the market?
            > > What
            > > > values do replacements need to have? Anyone know a good tech on the
            > > > east coast (Philly/ NYC) that could perform the surgery?

            > > > definitely want to replace the tempo button with something a little
            > > > squishier so I could drum out the tempo. The main encoder wheel
            > > > definitely needs to be replaced. It works fine, but is a bit jumpy.
            > > > The cursor buttons and the track/trigger buttons need to be replaced.
            > > > If I am doing those I might just do all "clicky" buttons.

            > > > current feel, but I do not want to sacrifice too much precision
            > > > (squishier but not too squishy).

          • James Ulibarri

              Thanks a million, the command station users community rocks.

              So, that takes care of the electronics. Now I need to hunt down proper
              pads/button covers and a tech that can do the work. I will report back and let
              you know how it's going.

              For button covers, I am thinking a single sheet of clear molded silicone. Or
              maybe a couple, one for each zone. It would also seal it up a bit and help
              protect it from dust and liquids.

              --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, "scodoha04" <douglas.harvey@...> wrote:

              > ...both or all of those might work. The exact replacement is at the previously
              >mentioned site.
              >
              > --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, "dutchbeats" <dutchbeats@> wrote:
              > >
              > > or this one
              > > <http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=P10860\
              > > -ND> ? also forgot to mention these
              > > <http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/E-Switch/TL1105TF160Q/?qs=YXf4ACKMM4\
              > > yXTDcNlL%2f%252bWQ%3d%3d> are the proper tact switches(had to search
              > > for a while to find the only post in the group to mention it). maybe we
              > > can start a database about switches, encoders etc that are compatible.
              > >

              > > --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, "dutchbeats" <dutchbeats@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > will this encoder
              > > >
              > > <http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Bourns/PEC12-2217F-N0024/?qs=sGAEpiM\
              > > \
              > > > ZZMukHu%252bjC5l7YYGBZR7kDV9/7zekKtuDXTw=> work? i too would like to
              > > > know about the squishy factor btw...

              > > > the squishy factor....
              > > > >

              > > http://www.eprelectronics.com/store/html/Products/E-mu-Drum-machine~Comm\
              > > \
              > > > a/E-mu-Command-Stations/PCBA-front-panel-right--57.html

              > > > flakey as well as the track 14 button.

              > > > it an overhaul to increase performance. I am not worried about
              > > > improving the appearance or care much if it detracts either. I want
              > > my
              > > > machine to work a bit smoother.

              > > > some that changed out the display. Are there parts on the market?
              > > What
              > > > values do replacements need to have? Anyone know a good tech on the
              > > > east coast (Philly/ NYC) that could perform the surgery?

              > > > definitely want to replace the tempo button with something a little
              > > > squishier so I could drum out the tempo. The main encoder wheel
              > > > definitely needs to be replaced. It works fine, but is a bit jumpy.
              > > > The cursor buttons and the track/trigger buttons need to be replaced.
              > > > If I am doing those I might just do all "clicky" buttons.

              > > > current feel, but I do not want to sacrifice too much precision
              > > > (squishier but not too squishy).

            • Aaron Eppolito
              Message 6 of 27 , Dec 13, 2010
                Isn't there a full-velocity pad curve?

                -Aaron

                ps.  it makes me kinda sad not to know these things off the top of my head these days...

                Thanks a million, the command station users community rocks.

                So, that takes care of the electronics. Now I need to hunt down proper
                pads/button covers and a tech that can do the work. I will report back and let
                you know how it's going.

                For button covers, I am thinking a single sheet of clear molded silicone. Or
                maybe a couple, one for each zone. It would also seal it up a bit and help
                protect it from dust and liquids.

                --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, "scodoha04" <douglas.harvey@...> wrote:

                > ...both or all of those might work. The exact replacement is at the previously
                >mentioned site.
                >
                > --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, "dutchbeats" <dutchbeats@> wrote:
                > >
                > > or this one
                > > <http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=P10860 (Yahoo! ID required)

              • James Ulibarri
                Message 7 of 27 , Dec 13, 2010
                  I don't think so.  I've messed with all the settings and it still doesn't give a person full pop.
                  Matt said at one time he was gonna try using Cords for this solution but I am not sure if had the chance.

                  This really annoys me about the CC.  The only way I would use it now is with an external set of pads or controller.

                  I would love for it to be operator error.  I don't mind being wrong in this case.

                  On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 4:50 PM, Aaron Eppolito <synthesis77@...> wrote:

                  Isn't there a full-velocity pad curve?

                  -Aaron

                  ps.  it makes me kinda sad not to know these things off the top of my head these days...

                  Thanks a million, the command station users community rocks.

                  So, that takes care of the electronics. Now I need to hunt down proper
                  pads/button covers and a tech that can do the work. I will report back and let
                  you know how it's going.

                  For button covers, I am thinking a single sheet of clear molded silicone. Or
                  maybe a couple, one for each zone. It would also seal it up a bit and help
                  protect it from dust and liquids.

                  --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, "scodoha04" <douglas.harvey@...> wrote:

                  > ...both or all of those might work. The exact replacement is at the previously
                  >mentioned site.
                  >
                  > --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, "dutchbeats" <dutchbeats@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > or this one
                  > > <http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=P10860 (Yahoo! ID required)

                • Atom Smasher
                  Message 8 of 27 , Dec 13, 2010
                    On Mon, 13 Dec 2010, James Ulibarri wrote:

                    > I would love for it to be operator error. I don't mind being wrong in
                    > this case.
                    =====================

                    Velocity Curve - pg 151 (pdf 163) of XL7-OpMan-G.pdf. it's in the global
                    menu. curve 1, 3, 4 or 13 might do it for you.

                    --
                    ...atom

                    ________________________
                    http://atom.smasher.org/
                    762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808

                    "I brainwashed youngsters into doing wrong. I want to say I'm
                    sorry to children everywhere for selling out to concerns who
                    make millions by murdering animals."
                    -- Geoffrey Guiliano,
                    the original Ronald McDonald actor who quit and
                    publicly apologized.
                    http://www.mcspotlight.org/people/interviews/guilliano_geoff.html
                  • Atom Smasher
                    Message 9 of 27 , Dec 13, 2010
                      On Tue, 14 Dec 2010, Atom Smasher wrote:

                      > Velocity Curve - pg 151 (pdf 163) of XL7-OpMan-G.pdf. it's in the global
                      > menu. curve 1, 3, 4 or 13 might do it for you.
                      ================

                      oops... "linear", 3, 4 or 13.

                      --
                      ...atom

                      ________________________
                      http://atom.smasher.org/
                      762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808

                      "All animals are equal, but some more than others."
                      -- George Orwell
                    • Scott Solmonson
                      Message 10 of 27 , Dec 13, 2010
                        You should be able to send the actual velocity value through a ramp/limit/mod chain to make the velocity curve very tight and logarithmic right?

                        --
                        NUNQUAM NON PARATUS
                        V: 408.718.6290

                        On Dec 13, 2010, at 5:09 PM, Atom Smasher wrote:

                        > On Tue, 14 Dec 2010, Atom Smasher wrote:
                        >
                        >> Velocity Curve - pg 151 (pdf 163) of XL7-OpMan-G.pdf. it's in the global
                        >> menu. curve 1, 3, 4 or 13 might do it for you.
                        > ================
                        >
                        > oops... "linear", 3, 4 or 13.
                        >

                        > --
                        > ...atom
                        >
                        > ________________________
                        > http://atom.smasher.org/
                        > 762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808
                        >
                        > "All animals are equal, but some more than others."
                        > -- George Orwell

                      • Aaron Eppolito
                        Message 11 of 27 , Dec 13, 2010
                          Wow, I can't believe we left that as an oversight. I could have sworn there was
                          a "pad velocity" off,1,2,3... setting. I guess we thought that people would
                          just turn down the Vel->Amp knob, but that's stored per *preset*, doesn't affect
                          MIDI, and would have to be continually set.

                          That said, looking at the curves, either 4 or 13 might be better for you.

                          And, as always, you can easily post-process by going to the pattern's
                          Scale/Shift Velocity page and just +127 any or all tracks you'd like. Or, as
                          mentioned on pg 79's tip: set the percent to 0% and the velocity you'd like it
                          to be to get an arbitrary level.

                          -Aaron

                          On Tue, 14 Dec 2010, Atom Smasher wrote:

                          > Velocity Curve - pg 151 (pdf 163) of XL7-OpMan-G.pdf. it's in the global
                          > menu. curve 1, 3, 4 or 13 might do it for you.
                          ================

                          oops... "linear", 3, 4 or 13.

                          --
                          ...atom

                          ________________________
                          http://atom.smasher.org/
                          762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808

                          "All animals are equal, but some more than others."
                          -- George Orwell

                        • laszlozizics
                          Message 12 of 27 , Dec 14, 2010
                          • bobsvitilla
                            Message 13 of 27 , Dec 14, 2010
                              Reply to Aaron Eppolito's post:
                              I definately don't want to mess with the key pads just the buttons. I quite like the feel and response.

                              To Laszlozizics:

                              If you want to return it to new that site is great. Other than the blue LCD all other parts listed are stock. I was looking for better than new as far as feel and functionality, I don't care much about looks. I was looking to find a better main encoder and better button/switches and button covers than the stock command stations. Or just better button covers. I need to replace about 4 buttons/switch on the main board. Is there anywhere to get just the switches, as far as I can tell EPR just sells the entire replacement front panel board http://www.eprelectronics.com/store/html/Products/E-mu-Drum-machine~Comma/E-mu-Command-Stations/PCBA-front-panel-right--57.html

                              --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, "laszlozizics" <fantahs@...> wrote:

                              > everything you need is here:
                              >
                              > http://www.eprelectronics.com/store/html/index.html

                            • Bruno
                              Message 14 of 27 , Dec 19, 2010
                                Hi guys,

                                2010/12/1 dutchbeats <dutchbeats@...>
                                > will this encoder  work? i too would like to know about the squishy factor btw...

                                I'm afraid PEC12 would be too small (12mm diameter, while we need
                                16mm). I used Bourns PEC164220FN0024. It has longer shaft, but it
                                doesn't matter a lot. If you want, you can see the photos here:

                                http://picasaweb.google.com/brunorc/Proteus2000DataDial

                                On the Bourns page there is an explanation of those numbers - you need
                                something that says "PEC1642XXFN0024", where:
                                - PEC16 stands for model, 16 being the diameter;
                                - 4 stands for horizontal terminal configuration (on EPR site they
                                say it should be vertical, which corresponds to value 2, but
                                surprisingly 4 works OK as well);
                                - 2 stands for 24 detents (0 - no detents, 1 - 12 detents);
                                - XX is the size of the shaft;
                                - F is the shaft style, no options to chose from;
                                - N stands for "no switch" (yes, you guessed, S stands for "switch");
                                - last four digits determine the resolution - 0024 is the right one.

                                As I said, I used the 20mm one, but there are be 15mm available as
                                well, and the should fit better. I used the longer one, because I had
                                not enough time - only one week to find it, order it, have it
                                delivered and changed, as I asked my friend to do this, warned by the
                                message on the EPR Electronics site: "Please be advised that
                                replacement of this part requires a skilled technician with the
                                appropriate desoldering/soldering tools to safely remove the old part
                                (without damaging the pcb), and install the new part." In fact, you
                                only need some patience while disassembling the front panel, a
                                soldering gun with a fine tip and a tool to absorb the molten tin. I
                                saw it being changed and the whole operation took 30 minutes,
                                including jokes and word games.

                                Hope this helps all the owners of broken data dials, so crossposting
                                it to the P2K list as well, please don't beat me up!

                                Bruno, rolling his new wheel
                              • dutchbeats
                                Message 15 of 27 , Dec 19, 2010
                                  thanks bruno! :) this would be a good start for the database

                                  --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, Bruno <brunorc@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi guys,
                                  >
                                  > 2010/12/1 dutchbeats <dutchbeats@...>
                                  > > will this encoder work? i too would like to know about the squishy factor btw...
                                  >
                                  > I'm afraid PEC12 would be too small (12mm diameter, while we need
                                  > 16mm). I used Bourns PEC164220FN0024. It has longer shaft, but it
                                  > doesn't matter a lot. If you want, you can see the photos here:
                                  >
                                  > http://picasaweb.google.com/brunorc/Proteus2000DataDial
                                  >
                                  > On the Bourns page there is an explanation of those numbers - you need
                                  > something that says "PEC1642XXFN0024", where:
                                  > - PEC16 stands for model, 16 being the diameter;
                                  > - 4 stands for horizontal terminal configuration (on EPR site they
                                  > say it should be vertical, which corresponds to value 2, but
                                  > surprisingly 4 works OK as well);
                                  > - 2 stands for 24 detents (0 - no detents, 1 - 12 detents);
                                  > - XX is the size of the shaft;
                                  > - F is the shaft style, no options to chose from;
                                  > - N stands for "no switch" (yes, you guessed, S stands for "switch");
                                  > - last four digits determine the resolution - 0024 is the right one.
                                  >
                                  > As I said, I used the 20mm one, but there are be 15mm available as
                                  > well, and the should fit better. I used the longer one, because I had
                                  > not enough time - only one week to find it, order it, have it
                                  > delivered and changed, as I asked my friend to do this, warned by the
                                  > message on the EPR Electronics site: "Please be advised that
                                  > replacement of this part requires a skilled technician with the
                                  > appropriate desoldering/soldering tools to safely remove the old part
                                  > (without damaging the pcb), and install the new part." In fact, you
                                  > only need some patience while disassembling the front panel, a
                                  > soldering gun with a fine tip and a tool to absorb the molten tin. I
                                  > saw it being changed and the whole operation took 30 minutes,
                                  > including jokes and word games.
                                  >
                                  > Hope this helps all the owners of broken data dials, so crossposting
                                  > it to the P2K list as well, please don't beat me up!
                                  >
                                  > Bruno, rolling his new wheel

                                • bonzai2050
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jun 4, 2012
                                    This is genius. Sorry to resurrect this thread but it's very very cool.

                                    To clarify... this is about replacing the track buttons on the xl7 with different switches, which probably handle better?

                                    And bobsvitilla had the idea of using a single sheet of molded silicone... sort of like the buttons on the Korg Electribes? (I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure the Electribe buttons are a long piece of silicone 4x1, 8x1, or 16x1).

                                    Has anybody actually replaced the track buttons with rubberish / silicone buttons?

                                    Great group btw.

                                  • intrepidpete
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jun 5, 2012
                                      If anyone has a source for silicone sheets, aftermarket buttons, or anything like that, pass along the info and I will give it a try and report back.

                                      My pots (encoders) and pads are fine, but the buttons don't have a real great "click down and snap back up" response. Actually the buttons don't really have any movement at all (have to watch the cursor and display to see if each press worked). So I would be willing to give something like this a try and report back. Don't know how you would handle the LED lights in the buttons, but I could start with the 2 Cursor buttons first.

                                    • adrian.gay@btinternet.com
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jun 7, 2012
                                        Hi

                                        If you plan on opening it up to take a look to figure out how you might overhaul it, you should know that it takes 2 minutes to unscrew the button/knob boards and remove, but much longer to get it back together, because...

                                        The LEDs are surface mount and the light is channelled up to the holes in the panel via small clear acrylic posts that are shaped like an upturned tuning fork. Its the acrylic posts that poke out of the panel. These posts fall out the moment you remove the boards, as I found out the first time I opened up an MP7 :o( There are 26 of the little bastards on the knob board alone and to replace the board they all have to be lined up correctly as the fork straddles the LED. You will have to resort to glueing and aligning each one to get it all back together.

                                        Adrian

                                        --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, "bobsvitilla" <bobsvitilla@...> wrote:

                                        > My main encoder wheel and the cursor buttons are getting a little flakey as well as the track 14 button.
                                        >
                                        > I am digging my command station enough that I think I want to give it an overhaul to increase performance. I am not worried about improving the appearance or care much if it detracts either. I want my machine to work a bit smoother.
                                        >
                                        > Who out their has modded the Command Station? I know there were some that changed out the display. Are there parts on the market? What values do replacements need to have? Anyone know a good tech on the east coast (Philly/ NYC) that could perform the surgery?
                                        >
                                        > I am happy with the 4x4 grid and volume pots and the key pads. I definitely want to replace the tempo button with something a little squishier so I could drum out the tempo. The main encoder wheel definitely needs to be replaced. It works fine, but is a bit jumpy. The cursor buttons and the track/trigger buttons need to be replaced. If I am doing those I might just do all "clicky" buttons.
                                        >
                                        > So, what's available out there? I am not super happy with the current feel, but I do not want to sacrifice too much precision (squishier but not too squishy).
                                        >

                                        > Thanks,
                                        > Bob

                                      • Matt
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jun 7, 2012
                                          if your buttons dont click anymore you can get new switches from mouser or buy a new button board from EPR.

                                          On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 12:28 PM, adrian.gay@... <adrian.gay@...> wrote:

                                          Hi

                                          If you plan on opening it up to take a look to figure out how you might overhaul it, you should know that it takes 2 minutes to unscrew the button/knob boards and remove, but much longer to get it back together, because...

                                          The LEDs are surface mount and the light is channelled up to the holes in the panel via small clear acrylic posts that are shaped like an upturned tuning fork. Its the acrylic posts that poke out of the panel. These posts fall out the moment you remove the boards, as I found out the first time I opened up an MP7 :o( There are 26 of the little bastards on the knob board alone and to replace the board they all have to be lined up correctly as the fork straddles the LED. You will have to resort to glueing and aligning each one to get it all back together.

                                          Adrian

                                          --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, "bobsvitilla" <bobsvitilla@...> wrote:

                                          > My main encoder wheel and the cursor buttons are getting a little flakey as well as the track 14 button.
                                          >
                                          > I am digging my command station enough that I think I want to give it an overhaul to increase performance. I am not worried about improving the appearance or care much if it detracts either. I want my machine to work a bit smoother.
                                          >
                                          > Who out their has modded the Command Station? I know there were some that changed out the display. Are there parts on the market? What values do replacements need to have? Anyone know a good tech on the east coast (Philly/ NYC) that could perform the surgery?
                                          >
                                          > I am happy with the 4x4 grid and volume pots and the key pads. I definitely want to replace the tempo button with something a little squishier so I could drum out the tempo. The main encoder wheel definitely needs to be replaced. It works fine, but is a bit jumpy. The cursor buttons and the track/trigger buttons need to be replaced. If I am doing those I might just do all "clicky" buttons.
                                          >
                                          > So, what's available out there? I am not super happy with the current feel, but I do not want to sacrifice too much precision (squishier but not too squishy).
                                          >

                                          > Thanks,
                                          > Bob

                                        • bonzai2050
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jun 9, 2012
                                            I don't have any idea about where to get custom moulded silicone sheets... and to be honest with you I don't know so much about electronics either.

                                            But, if you or somebody actually did figure out how to replace the flakey buttons with an entirely different type of button (sort of like the ones on Electribes) I would definitely do it as well. :)

                                            There is a link in this thread to a different type of switch which I believe would theoretically function (it was mentioned here). So as far as the new button/switch goes one has been found.

                                            But yes, the issue now is some kind of silicone button cover. Definitely let us know if you figure something out!

                                            Although my XL7 is basically unused and in perfect condition, the buttons have to be pushed a certain way for them to function properly. Otherwise they either send two hits, or none at all, and I also have to check the screen to make sure they functioned.

                                            We really need to just replace the damn things with Electribe-type buttons to make live performance less accident-prone and risky.

                                            --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, "intrepidpete" <peteflagg@...> wrote:

                                            > If anyone has a source for silicone sheets, aftermarket buttons, or anything like that, pass along the info and I will give it a try and report back.
                                            >
                                            > My pots (encoders) and pads are fine, but the buttons don't have a real great "click down and snap back up" response. Actually the buttons don't really have any movement at all (have to watch the cursor and display to see if each press worked). So I would be willing to give something like this a try and report back. Don't know how you would handle the LED lights in the buttons, but I could start with the 2 Cursor buttons first.
                                            >
                                            > --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, "bonzai2050" <bonzai2050@> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > This is genius. Sorry to resurrect this thread but it's very very cool.
                                            > >
                                            > > To clarify... this is about replacing the track buttons on the xl7 with different switches, which probably handle better?
                                            > >
                                            > > And bobsvitilla had the idea of using a single sheet of molded silicone... sort of like the buttons on the Korg Electribes? (I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure the Electribe buttons are a long piece of silicone 4x1, 8x1, or 16x1).
                                            > >
                                            > > Has anybody actually replaced the track buttons with rubberish / silicone buttons?
                                            > >
                                            > > Great group btw.
                                            > >

                                            > > --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, "bobsvitilla" <bobsvitilla@> wrote:
                                            > > >
                                            > > > Thanks a million, the command station users community rocks.
                                            > > >
                                            > > > So, that takes care of the electronics. Now I need to hunt down proper pads/button covers and a tech that can do the work. I will report back and let you know how it's going.
                                            > > >
                                            > > > For button covers, I am thinking a single sheet of clear molded silicone. Or maybe a couple, one for each zone. It would also seal it up a bit and help protect it from dust and liquids.

                                          • bonzai2050
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jun 9, 2012
                                              Good tips here Adrian!

                                              I haven't opened mine up to investigate yet but after reading this it seems clear that replacing the button/switches on the XL7 with less flaky ones isn't going to be a walk in the park.

                                              Thanks

                                              Btw... what did you open it up for? Did you also try to replace the buttons with entirely different ones?

                                            • adrian.gay@btinternet.com
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Jun 12, 2012
                                                Bought a scruffy MP7 with XL7 ROM and I opened it up with the intention of trying to replace the faulty data encoder. Then another faulty XL7 came up on eBay so I bought that assuming I would have enough parts to make a working Command station, which I now have. If you would like photos of the boards, buttons and the acrylic posts that channel the light from the LEDs let me know and I will upload here.

                                                This has left me with most spare parts for Command Stations. For anyone interested, I have decided to sell these parts on eBay in the next few days...

                                                Regards

                                                Adrian

                                                --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, "bonzai2050" <bonzai2050@...> wrote:

                                                > Good tips here Adrian!
                                                >
                                                > I haven't opened mine up to investigate yet but after reading this it seems clear that replacing the button/switches on the XL7 with less flaky ones isn't going to be a walk in the park.
                                                >
                                                > Thanks
                                                >
                                                > Btw... what did you open it up for? Did you also try to replace the buttons with entirely different ones?
                                                >

                                                > --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, "adrian.gay@" <adrian.gay@> wrote:
                                                > >
                                                > > Hi
                                                > >
                                                > > If you plan on opening it up to take a look to figure out how you might overhaul it, you should know that it takes 2 minutes to unscrew the button/knob boards and remove, but much longer to get it back together, because...
                                                > >
                                                > > The LEDs are surface mount and the light is channelled up to the holes in the panel via small clear acrylic posts that are shaped like an upturned tuning fork. Its the acrylic posts that poke out of the panel. These posts fall out the moment you remove the boards, as I found out the first time I opened up an MP7 :o( There are 26 of the little bastards on the knob board alone and to replace the board they all have to be lined up correctly as the fork straddles the LED. You will have to resort to glueing and aligning each one to get it all back together.
                                                > >
                                                > > Adrian
                                                > >
                                                > > --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, "bobsvitilla" <bobsvitilla@> wrote:
                                                > > >
                                                > > > My main encoder wheel and the cursor buttons are getting a little flakey as well as the track 14 button.
                                                > > >
                                                > > > I am digging my command station enough that I think I want to give it an overhaul to increase performance. I am not worried about improving the appearance or care much if it detracts either. I want my machine to work a bit smoother.
                                                > > >
                                                > > > Who out their has modded the Command Station? I know there were some that changed out the display. Are there parts on the market? What values do replacements need to have? Anyone know a good tech on the east coast (Philly/ NYC) that could perform the surgery?
                                                > > >
                                                > > > I am happy with the 4x4 grid and volume pots and the key pads. I definitely want to replace the tempo button with something a little squishier so I could drum out the tempo. The main encoder wheel definitely needs to be replaced. It works fine, but is a bit jumpy. The cursor buttons and the track/trigger buttons need to be replaced. If I am doing those I might just do all "clicky" buttons.
                                                > > >
                                                > > > So, what's available out there? I am not super happy with the current feel, but I do not want to sacrifice too much precision (squishier but not too squishy).
                                                > > >

                                                > > > Thanks,
                                                > > > Bob

                                              • Bruno
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Jun 14, 2012
                                                  2010/11/29 bobsvitilla <bobsvitilla@...>:
                                                  > My main encoder wheel and the cursor buttons are getting a little flakey as well as the track 14 button.

                                                  Not sure about buttons (in my case the feral 13 sometimes gets a bit
                                                  flakey), but... my XL-7 had a *terribly* schizoidal data dial (or data
                                                  knob or data encoder or data wheel - let's be friendly for search!).
                                                  But I just got home with a bottle of Kontakt 60 (e.g. here:
                                                  http://ucables.com/ref/KONTAKT-60-SPRAY-200-R1002114368), sprayed
                                                  some, trying to get it as deep as possible - and voila, the dial works
                                                  perfectly!

                                                  Now I have to do the same with my PK-6.

                                                  As for the track buttons, I have no clue yet, since for this I have to
                                                  remove it from rack to open it. But I will keep you updated :-)

                                                  Cheers,

                                                  Bruno