my XL-7 does't start anymore !!!

  • XL-7 Group
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 9, 2010
      Hi Guys,
      I have no ideea what could it happend, yesterday my xl was working perfect and now is not starting. Is looking like no electricity is getting in. I check different cables and different electricity sources. Have any ideea?
      Thanks
    • nenad.lonic
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 10, 2010
        --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, XL-7 Group <dacian_victor@...> wrote:

        > Hi Guys,
        > I have no ideea what could it happend, yesterday my xl was working perfect and now is not starting. Is looking like no electricity is getting in. I check different cables and different electricity sources. Have any ideea?
        > Thanks

        Open her up, and check that the connector that comes from the on/off button hasn't come out. While it's open put a multimeter across the on/off switch pins and check that its still working
      • Dacian
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 13, 2010
          ohh man, i think is kind of bad.
          I just had a friend with a multimeter, and. The fuse is ok. And on the pins coming from the electric source there is 9 volt on (yellow and brown). We have no idee what should it be. Any advise would be very apreciate. /Thanks, guys

          --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, "nenad.lonic" <nenad.lonic@...> wrote:

          > --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, XL-7 Group <dacian_victor@> wrote:
          > >

          > > Hi Guys,
          > > I have no ideea what could it happend, yesterday my xl was working perfect and now is not starting. Is looking like no electricity is getting in. I check different cables and different electricity sources. Have any ideea?
          > > Thanks
          > >

          > Open her up, and check that the connector that comes from the on/off button hasn't come out. While it's open put a multimeter across the on/off switch pins and check that its still working

        • Jack Pratt
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 13, 2010
            Fuse?

            My XL7 doesn't have a fuse. Unless there's one inside the power supply enclosure (which I would doubt due to its inaccessibility - there might be a polyswitch ["ptc device" or "resettable (thermal) fuse"]). And there's no brown and/or yellow wires.

            It has a 10-way single-in-line (molex type) connector on the main board [with 10 wires coming from the power supply] and next to the connector (on the main board) there's a list of the voltage on each pin [+15, -15, GND, GND, +5V, +5V, +3.3, +3.3 and two others]. Although there are individual wires from the power supply to this connector there are no brown and/or yellow wires as it turns out [purple, green, black red, orange...]

            It may be that you have a different variant XL7 than I have but I would be surprised if there were multiple revisions of the XL7 main board so radically different.

            In any case I would surmise that the most-likely problem is that your power supply gave up and possibly the main board could have been damaged in the death of the power supply. There is no value in turning the power on and risking further damage to the main board. If you disconnect the power supply (from the main board) you could check the no-load voltage on the power supply connector and check what happens under load [if you put a 1K resistor across any two wires the voltage should change not at all if the power supply is working properly, even a 10ohm resistor should have little effect (except perhaps on the +15 and -15 sources which would be unlikely to sustain 1.5A) if applied for a _very_ short time]

            Solution:

            If you can verify that the power supply is defunct then get a new one [although if you were sufficiently skilled in electronics you might be able to fix it], but the main board may also have suffered damage. The 'new' power supply will probably have the same source as the 'new' main board - ebay.

            I just had a friend with a multimeter, and. The fuse is ok. And on the pins coming from the electric source there is 9 volt on (yellow and brown). We have no idee what should it be. Any advise would be very apreciate. /Thanks, guys

            --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, "nenad.lonic" <nenad.lonic@...> wrote:

            > --- In xl7@yahoogroups.com, XL-7 Group <dacian_victor@> wrote:
            > >

            > > Hi Guys,
            > > I have no ideea what could it happend, yesterday my xl was working perfect and now is not starting. Is looking like no electricity is getting in. I check different cables and different electricity sources. Have any ideea?
            > > Thanks
            > >

            > Open her up, and check that the connector that comes from the on/off button hasn't come out. While it's open put a multimeter across the on/off switch pins and check that its still working

          • Matt

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 13, 2010
                  Sounds like the same problem I had :( I tested and there was no output on the power supply at all so I went ahead and ordered one from eprelectronics. Its still in the mail so when it gets here i'll let you know if it fixes the problem or if the motherboard is toast. Usually you can look at a PC board and see a visible sign of a burn out so have a close look at that, and also smell the power supply, if its cooked it will have a burn smell about it.

                  To: xl7@yahoogroups.com
                  From: dacian_victor@...
                  Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2010 14:05:23 +0000

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 13, 2010

                    If u can't fix it I bet the guys at epr can.

                    To: xl7@yahoogroups.com
                    From: dacian_victor@...
                    Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2010 14:05:23 +0000

                    ohh man, i think is kind of bad.
                    I just had a friend with a multimeter, and. The fuse is ok. An...

                  • Dacian Victor
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 14, 2010

                    THANKS for your answers.
                    You are right, there is no brown wire.
                    What did i want to say is this, on the pins coming from the electric source there is 9 volt on first(yellow) and last but one(purple).
                    Ok, i attach a image from the connector. On the rest of the pins there is nothing.
                    . /see you later

                    Message 10 of 10 , Nov 14, 2010
                      I had one of these switched-mode power supplies let go in a proteus rack module; it did no harm to the main board, & I suspect the manufacturer of such things would be pretty unpopular if their products ever did any harm to their customers' boards. :-)

                      they're standard units, but always check the order of the output connections before fitting anything that wasn't meant to go in an emu. you need, as I recall, a good supply of +5 & +12 & also -12.

                      duncan.