New User Having a Blast

  • bobsvitilla
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 6, 2009
      I've been getting to know my XL-7 and I am having a blast. It is my first hardware sequencer. I really like how it is set up for instant gratification. I've been able to create some really satisfying patterns without having to dive into effect or creating sounds. I can't wait to, but it's been nice being able to learn one feature at a time and still have something I enjoy playing around with.

      I read the manual cover to cover, yeah right!! It is deeeep, I have read enough to get well started. I appreciate the very in-depth manual, but that makes it tough to find solutions to specific problems.

      How can I double or half the tempo of a track or entire pattern? I recorded 4 bars and want to squeeze it into two.

      The one thing that bugs me a bit is the need to use the cursor so much. With multi-setups, can I setup a creative workstation where each knob in the 4x4 grid represents something different in the display? I'm hoping if the knob is tweaked the value changes for a specific parameter (track number, track length, measure, ect.) without having to move the underscore with the cursor buttons.

      Thanks
      Bob
    • craig ward
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 6, 2009
        If the menus (with their cursed cursorness and all) are shitting you remember the bank of 16 buttons double as shortcuts for the main menu so at least that take the jog wheel out of the equation to some degree. enjoy!

        To: xl7@yahoogroups.com
        From: bobsvitilla@...
        Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 18:57:06 +0000
        Subject: [xl7] New User Having a Blast

[...]

        Check out the latest features today Get more out of Hotmail
      • massimo
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 7, 2009
          What you are looking for here is Scale/Shift Start Times in the Pattern Edit menu. Press the Pattern Edit button (upper right) and scroll across to the relevant menu option.

          --- On Sun, 6/12/09, bobsvitilla <bobsvitilla@...> wrote:

          > How can I double or half the tempo of a track or entire
          > pattern?  I recorded 4 bars and want to squeeze it into
          > two.
        • bobsvitilla
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 8, 2009
            Thanks for the info. The scale/shift start time makes sense, now.

            Craig, I don't quite fallow what you mean. Do you mean the track buttons? What menu are you referring to as the Main menu?
          • craig ward
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 8, 2009
              http://www.tarekith.com/assets/CommandStationFAQv203.htm#Gen12  -  This is a great link it has the shortcuts and key combinations that allow you to command this bitch. With the menu basically what each track button says, it does. enjoy

              To: xl7@yahoogroups.com
              From: bobsvitilla@...
              Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 14:23:03 +0000
              Subject: [xl7] Re: New User Having a Blast

              Thanks for the info. The scale/shift start time makes sense, now.

              Craig, I don't quite fallow what you mean. Do you mean the track buttons? What menu are you referring to as the Main menu?

              Australia's #1 job site If It Exists, You'll Find it on SEEK