Re: [xl7] MP-7 Locked up?

  • Jack Pratt
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 29, 2009
      Perhaps the first line of attack should be to reinstall the system software (incase it failed to load properly last time resulting in the behaviour you see). That shouldn't take long may distinguish between a hardware and a software problem...

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 29, 2009
        On Thu, 29 Oct 2009, Jack Pratt wrote:

        > Perhaps the first line of attack should be to reinstall the system
        > software (incase it failed to load properly last time resulting in the
        > behaviour you see). That shouldn't take long may distinguish between a
        > hardware and a software problem...
        ===========

        is there any version of the system software that can be loaded if it's
        bricked?

        --
        ...atom

        ________________________
        http://atom.smasher.org/
        762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808

        "So what do we do if we get bitten by something deadly, then?"
        He blinked at me as if I was stupid.
        "Well what do you think you do?" he said. "You die of course.
        That's what deadly means."
        -- Douglas Adams, Last Chance To See
      • Ivan Chaparro
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 29, 2009
          sure but it wont boot. how would I reinstall?

          ============ =

          ____________ _________ ___
          ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- -

          "Never have the armies of the North brought peace,
          prosperity, or democracy to the peoples of Asia,
          Africa, or Latin America. In the future, as in the
          past five centuries, they can only bring to these
          peoples further servitude, the exploitation of their
          labor, the expropriation of their riches, and the denial
          of their rights. It is of the utmost importance that the
          progressive forces of the West understand this."
          -- Samir Amin,
          director of Forum du Tiers Monde in Dakar, Senegal

          =

        • Jack Pratt
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 30, 2009
            Actually it probably does boot but won't run the application unless the problem is a fundamental hardware one and the MP7 is only good for the spare parts (knobs really). If the bootloader itself is dead then you'd have to replace the motherboard FLASH that contains the bootloader with one from another board (alternatively you could reprogram it through the BDM interface but that's getting rather technical).

            Ultimately the problem is either hardware or software.

            If it is software then its either bootloader or application..

            If it is bootloader, the bootloader must be reFLASH'ed or the FLASH replaced with another one that works. [bootloaders are not meant to be replaced - they just work]

            If it is the application then you can probably get to the bootloader and reFLASH the application. Try following the software upgrade procedure and see if it works. It doesn't take long and you could get lucky.

            If it is a hardware problem you'd probably need considerable technical expertise (and equipment) to diagnose and fix the problem. If you have some technical ability check the rails from the power supply as the first start down that path, and check the microprocessor clock and reset signal as the second. There really is not alot you're going to be able to do without a soldering iron but if you can isolate/identify the problem you may be able to fix it.

            You also have to consider why the problem arose in the first place and whether it might happen again (before you put too much effort in). The most likely hardware problem (IMHO) is a power supply fault with one of the rails missing or low, possibly as the result of a power surge or ground current loop. If you have an alternate power supply handy you will know very quickly. Problem is that any surge might have propagated through the wetire system and it may never work properly.