Re: [xl7] new XL7!!

  • Zsolt Szab√≥
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2008
      I just want to tell that when I bought my XL-7
      the Command Stations were out of production
      more than 2 years AFAIK.

      Despite this I was able to find a genuinely new XL7
      with the latest OS before 2.0 (1.43?), all accessories
      and original package.

      The seller (eBay) told me it was lurking somewhere
      in a hidden corner of his shop and he recognized it
      during a clearance. I felt immediately a
      cosy warm feeling for being such lucky. :)

      Regards,

      Zsolt | http://adsr.hu

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2008
        this looks really close to new. on close inspection, i was surprised to
        see some wear around the MIDI out jacks... but that's the only sign of
        use! all of the patterns are blank.

        it's odd, though, that it needs a folded piece of paper under one of the
        bumper feet to keep it steady... there's almost a 1/4" of wobble.

        the data-wheel is a bit jumpy... i'd check the archives for how to deal
        with it, but the search has been down for a few weeks. should i just shoot
        some contact cleaner into it?

        btw, there's a "new" floor model in auckland, but the fools want $3700NZ
        (about $2850US) for it. i offered a reasonable price, and pointed out that
        if it's been there for 7 years with the original price tag there's
        obviously not much interest in it, and the ones on ebay usually have
        upgraded OSes and often have upgraded ROMs... and they sell for
        $300-400US. they said they'd drop the price to $1700NZ (about $1300US) but
        i told them i could still buy 4 of them on ebay and have them shipped for
        that price.

        fools... http://rockshop.co.nz/04/shop/groupname_search.php?16

        --
        ...atom

        ________________________
        http://atom.smasher.org/
        762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808

        "It really depends upon how our nation conducts itself in
        foreign policy. If we're an arrogant nation, they'll
        resent us. If we're a humble nation, but strong, they'll
        welcome us."
        -- George "dubya" Bush
        Bush-Gore debate, 11 Oct 2000
      • Aaron Eppolito
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1, 2008
          Whoa! If you haven't already downloaded and printed out the most recent manual (rev g? can't remember) go get that manual back out of recycling and read it cover to cover! =D

          Seriously, it'll help a bunch and it's pretty easy to read. Maybe you already have the new one though, so I'll shut up!

          Seems if there's no wear other than on the MIDI ports, perhaps the original owner just used it as a synth.

          Enjoy!
          -Aaron

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 1, 2008
            Perhaps one of those little rubber feet is missing? Adhesive stuff like that is pretty easy to find - maybe some double sided foam tape with one side of the wax paper still on if you can't find rubber feet at the hardware store.

            The encoder is probaby the single worse point of failure on the XL-7. If you pull the knob off, you can shoot some contact cleaner in, but not down the shaft. Put it into the side where the two halves of the encoder clip together. If you've got a 1.00 unit, you probably don't have the copper bracket that we added to try to keep the encoder in place. You'll probably be able to ben up the little clips and open up the encoder to clean it thoroughly. Be careful with them though, they break easy.

            -Aaron

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 2, 2008
              On Fri, 1 Feb 2008, Aaron Eppolito wrote:

              > Whoa! If you haven't already downloaded and printed out the most recent
              > manual (rev g? can't remember) go get that manual back out of recycling
              > and read it cover to cover! =D
              ===============

              earlier today i upgraded to OS2.00, and printed out the rev-G manual. i
              suspect i may never need to read about the song mode.

              > Seems if there's no wear other than on the MIDI ports, perhaps the
              > original owner just used it as a synth.
              ================

              but the wear is only on the MIDI outs...?

              --
              ...atom

              ________________________
              http://atom.smasher.org/
              762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808

              "Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities
              has the power to make you commit injustices."
              -- Voltaire
            • Atom Smasher
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 2, 2008
                On Fri, 1 Feb 2008, Aaron Eppolito wrote:

                > Perhaps one of those little rubber feet is missing? Adhesive stuff like
                > that is pretty easy to find - maybe some double sided foam tape with one
                > side of the wax paper still on if you can't find rubber feet at the
                > hardware store.
                ==================

                all 4 bumper feet are there. i'm now leaning towards the theory that i've
                got two tables that are warped ;)

                --
                ...atom

                http://atom.smasher.org/
                762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808

                "Have you any idea how successful censorship is on TV?
                Don't know the answer? Hmm. Successful. Isn't it?"
                -- Max Headroom